Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Humiliated businesswoman frog-marched off British Airways flight in row over mobile

Humiliated businesswoman frog-marched off British Airways flight in row over mobile

Old Oct 15, 09, 6:44 am
  #61  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 37,118
Originally Posted by Lucifer UK View Post
Easiest solution is actually a receiver onboard to lock onto the devices onboard, preventing them from pumping out EM waves at full power, looking for a receiver
Agreed. And preferably in that mode for the entire flight.
Globaliser is offline  
Old Oct 15, 09, 6:50 am
  #62  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Home: East Mids UK - Work (Base): Accra, Ghana.
Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Posts: 12,059
Originally Posted by tc69 View Post
Considerably OT, but I was wondering why BA (and maybe other airlines) insist that you don't use a headset to listen to the audio channels while the plane is landing. I really find listening to some of the channels very calming, but have had a few FAs tell me off for using my own headphones while the flight was landing. No anoucement is ever made on the lines of, "stop listening to the audio channels during landing "
"Ladies and Gentleman, the Captain has turned on the fasten seat belt sign as we will shortly be landing in London Heathrow, Terminal 5. Please return to your seat, ensure your seat belt is securely fastened, your tray table is folded away, your seat back is upright, with the arm rest down. All portable electronic devices should now be switched off, all headsets and earphones removed... continues"

It is so you can hear me screaming at you to evacuate the aircraft, instead of listening to "Take That - The Hits!" etc...
BingBongBoy is offline  
Old Oct 15, 09, 6:55 am
  #63  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northumberland, UK and outback Australia.
Programs: BA silver
Posts: 3,872
Good god!

Why is it so critical to carry on using a phone *all* the time? I probably get flamed for this, but if people still need to use a phone while on board - that extra five minutes while sat inside before pull-back, then they need to manage their communications better - delegate it to someone someone else or warn people that one will be incommunicado for an hour or whatever time the flight is.

If it was an emergency (as it always seem to be), then it should been delegated to someone else who's in a better place to deal with it (business continuity plan anyone?).

What is so bloody hard about that?
Stez is offline  
Old Oct 15, 09, 7:04 am
  #64  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Philippines
Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Choice Diamond, Alaska 75K
Posts: 4,599
Kinda OT - I was at a petrol station in Australia last June and there was a picture of the "no mobile while pumping Petrol" sticker on the pump.

What's that about?
davistev is offline  
Old Oct 15, 09, 7:25 am
  #65  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DWC/DXB
Programs: FB Silver, MR Platinum (Life), EK Silver, DL, UA Premier, BA, HH Gold, A3 *Silver
Posts: 3,048
Hi,

Originally Posted by davistev View Post
Kinda OT - I was at a petrol station in Australia last June and there was a picture of the "no mobile while pumping Petrol" sticker on the pump.

What's that about?
The risk of a ringing cellphone causing an explosion:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp
http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...y/aa062399.htm

Not quite conclusive, but apparently, there can be a risk.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
GenevaFlyer is offline  
Old Oct 15, 09, 8:36 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: YVR but often E1
Programs: BA Silver, FI, AC
Posts: 1,243
Slightly OT, but earlier today when walking down the stairs at a remote stand at T5 I heard a young man (with a North American accent, not sure if he was Canadian or from the States) ask the person helping pax board the bus if he could 'go over there' (motioned behind the stairs) for a quick cigarette.

He was most disconcerted when told that he could not 'go over there' nor could he smoke until after passport control and baggage collection. He offered the man in the high-viz vest 100 then 150 if he could have that smoke. He was told to board the bus, and sharpish.
Trav+ is offline  
Old Oct 15, 09, 8:46 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: YYC-Calgary
Programs: Aeroplan, Goldpoints Plus, Priority Club, Fly Blue
Posts: 131
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer View Post
Hi,



The risk of a ringing cellphone causing an explosion:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp
http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...y/aa062399.htm

Not quite conclusive, but apparently, there can be a risk.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Ahhhh.... They myth-busted that on an episode of the myth busters.
They put a cellphone in a sealed environment with the perfect mix of fuel-to-air and called it so it rang.... and guess what happened?

...nothing.\




switching off electronics and removing headsets are for the sole purpose of not being preoccupied so if we start shouting
EMERGENCY! BEND OVER, STAY DOWN!
you will comply

But of course that line in all caps varies from airline to airline...
like others say BEND DOWN! HEADS DOWN! STAY DOWN!

or BEND LOW! KEEP YOUR HEADS DOWN!
jong866 is offline  
Old Oct 15, 09, 8:50 am
  #68  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: back to my roots in Scotland!
Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Posts: 47,845
Originally Posted by Trav+ View Post
Slightly OT, but earlier today when walking down the stairs at a remote stand at T5 I heard a young man (with a North American accent, not sure if he was Canadian or from the States) ask the person helping pax board the bus if he could 'go over there' (motioned behind the stairs) for a quick cigarette.

He was most disconcerted when told that he could not 'go over there' nor could he smoke until after passport control and baggage collection. He offered the man in the high-viz vest 100 then 150 if he could have that smoke. He was told to board the bus, and sharpish.
It used to be slightly disconcerting at a certain Asian airport, when doing training courses with airport staff airside, giving a cigarette break and watching them all legging it out onto the apron to have their fags.... next to refueling aircraft, leaking aircraft etc etc
Jenbel is offline  
Old Oct 15, 09, 8:57 am
  #69  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: back to my roots in Scotland!
Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Posts: 47,845
Originally Posted by moeve View Post
Well actually the FA did that because the reason given for throwning her off was because he couldn't get her to OBEY his orders immeadiately. I am questioning his competance on THAT particular day because a simple phone call can be dealt with in a more professional way without acting like a small child stamping ones foot and storming off to get daddy because someone won't play with you. The simple fact that they were obviously still at the gate when she turned off her phone shows me that this was a complete overreaction. That just wasn't his day and not being able to deal with something simple leaves ample room for doubt when things really go wrong!!

Come on letting someone finish a call while still at the gate poses absolutely no danger to anyone. To all those whining about phone calls and demanding repect from the other side seem to forget that this sort of thing goes both ways. Who knows maybe one day YOU will be the one trying to save a deal at the last minute before push back full well knowing they won't be able to reach you over the next hours.
You've drawn an awful lot of conclusions from not many facts:
a) she was 'thrown off' because she wouldn't obey his orders immediately
b) she was only trying to finish the call
c) they were still at the gate (you say it's obvious, which means it's a conclusion you've reached)
d) he was throwing a tantrum

Another scenario, equally as valid as yours from the information given. She boards, she's on the phone. She's still on the phone, she's asked to turn it off by cabin crew. She agrees, but carries on speaking. The next time he goes by, she's still on the phone, the doors are closed. He asks her again to turn the phone off. She agrees, and carries on speaking. He comes by again... and she's still on the phone.

At what point do you realise that someone has no intention of complying with your perfectly lawful instruction which is trying to enforce a safety rule from the airline? What other sanction do you have? She shoudn't be using the phone, but she is refusing to stop....

And there is nothing in the report which makes my scenario any more or any less valid than your scenario (in fact, given the behaviour I've seen from pax, mines is rather more likely).

And of course she runs to the press and she has behaved perfectly....
Jenbel is offline  
Old Oct 15, 09, 9:46 am
  #70  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: LON, ACK, BOS..... (Not necessarily in that order)
Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Posts: 13,185
If you are in an area where you are supposed to follow someone elses instructions and you don't do it and the penalty for this is ejection, expect to be ejected.

I used to work somewhere where mobiles were banned in certain areas/rooms because of the danger of interference. There would always be someone who had to have their mobile (cell) phone with them and on and sometimes even on a call. I made them leave turn them off and then try and re-enter the room/area, whether they could or not depended on if they had a pass and if not, whether I was willing to let them back in.

There was one bloke who thought the rules didn't apply to him, so despite being told twice to turn the phone off or to take the call outside he kept on talking. He was rather surprised then when a normally quite calm and understanding person (me) suggested in a voice like thunder that if the phone wasn't off it would be in pieces very shortly.

What Jenbel said above sounds very plausible, you might not think you are causing a problem, but you may very well be and you don't know it or it isn't obvious.
Jimmie76 is offline  
Old Oct 15, 09, 10:04 am
  #71  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,917
No body myself incl. have anything against making everyone turn off the cell just before taxi and the rest of the flight until one gets to the gate on the other end. While at the gate why are so all so mean just bear in mind one day it might be YOU who has to finish that very important call and I hope the people flying with you are just as considerate as you are.

I just don't understand what all the hype is about when the aircraft is still at the gate (PARKED NOT MOVING) - and it has to have been the case or the FA would not just been allowed to enter the cockpit on the quick (since post 9/11 it is supposed to be secured by law before the aircraft leaves the gate)and it would have been more than just a case of just opening the door. The quote said something about "I'll have them reopen the door so that you can leave."

Over and above that I really cannot believe a Capt would return to the gate (which costs money) just because the FA comes into say she won't turn off her phone. and how come she still had the time to get up and ask the FA for his details if they were already on the roll - sorry folks but I am not convinced they had already left the gate.
moeve is offline  
Old Oct 15, 09, 10:04 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Outside Toronto apparently.
Programs: BA Silver, AC-E and a few hotels
Posts: 551
Originally Posted by Stez View Post
Good god!

Why is it so critical to carry on using a phone *all* the time? I probably get flamed for this, but if people still need to use a phone while on board - that extra five minutes while sat inside before pull-back, then they need to manage their communications better - delegate it to someone someone else or warn people that one will be incommunicado for an hour or whatever time the flight is.

If it was an emergency (as it always seem to be), then it should been delegated to someone else who's in a better place to deal with it (business continuity plan anyone?).

What is so bloody hard about that?
You won't get flamed by me for this one!

It still amauses me no end when I hear people immediately get on the phone after the seat belt sign to say they have landed! I swear blind that they must have the phone permanmently attached to their ear to look important. Then again I used to sit on the train with a woman who worked in the same building as me who found it necessary to phone her office when she got off the train and 2 minutes from the office!

Wasn't there a radio dj whose husband used to scream "sell pork bellies" when people did this on landing?
Railroad flyer is offline  
Old Oct 15, 09, 10:50 am
  #73  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: back to my roots in Scotland!
Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Posts: 47,845
Originally Posted by moeve View Post
No body myself incl. have anything against making everyone turn off the cell just before taxi and the rest of the flight until one gets to the gate on the other end. While at the gate why are so all so mean just bear in mind one day it might be YOU who has to finish that very important call and I hope the people flying with you are just as considerate as you are.

I just don't understand what all the hype is about when the aircraft is still at the gate (PARKED NOT MOVING) - and it has to have been the case or the FA would not just been allowed to enter the cockpit on the quick (since post 9/11 it is supposed to be secured by law before the aircraft leaves the gate)and it would have been more than just a case of just opening the door. The quote said something about "I'll have them reopen the door so that you can leave."

Over and above that I really cannot believe a Capt would return to the gate (which costs money) just because the FA comes into say she won't turn off her phone. and how come she still had the time to get up and ask the FA for his details if they were already on the roll - sorry folks but I am not convinced they had already left the gate.
You are expecting a UK-registered aircraft, which comes under CAA rules to follow FAA rules.

UK aircraft have no requirement to follow the rules set out by the FAA on cockpit security. The FAA is not the certifying body for UK-registered aircraft, and does not set the safety standards for UK-registered aircraft. Those are set by CAA (with a nod at Europe over areas of common concern). It's been my experience that the CAA, and hence UK registered aircraft, are not so anal about this as the FAA.

I've flown several flights in the UK where the cockpit door has been open for the entire flight (actually in a couple of them, there were no doors )
Jenbel is offline  
Old Oct 15, 09, 12:08 pm
  #74  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: LON, ACK, BOS..... (Not necessarily in that order)
Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Posts: 13,185
Originally Posted by moeve View Post
No body myself incl. have anything against making everyone turn off the cell just before taxi and the rest of the flight until one gets to the gate on the other end. While at the gate why are so all so mean just bear in mind one day it might be YOU who has to finish that very important call and I hope the people flying with you are just as considerate as you are.

I just don't understand what all the hype is about when the aircraft is still at the gate (PARKED NOT MOVING) - and it has to have been the case or the FA would not just been allowed to enter the cockpit on the quick (since post 9/11 it is supposed to be secured by law before the aircraft leaves the gate)and it would have been more than just a case of just opening the door. The quote said something about "I'll have them reopen the door so that you can leave."

Over and above that I really cannot believe a Capt would return to the gate (which costs money) just because the FA comes into say she won't turn off her phone. and how come she still had the time to get up and ask the FA for his details if they were already on the roll - sorry folks but I am not convinced they had already left the gate.
If I ever have my phone on after leaving the lounge let alone boarding, hell will have frozen over.
Jimmie76 is offline  
Old Oct 15, 09, 12:28 pm
  #75  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,917
Jenebel most European incl. the UK put the same ruling into place - we are just not a sensitive to it.
moeve is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: