Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Humiliated businesswoman frog-marched off British Airways flight in row over mobile

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Humiliated businesswoman frog-marched off British Airways flight in row over mobile

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I had a rather prolonged discussion with a lady in 2J on the 767 (Short Haul variant, obviously...) I asked her to put her hand bag into the overhead locker for take off. She was rather rude about it, and decided to stuff it backwards, under her own seat, thus, pushing her life jacket back out of reach, with the handles to her hand bag sticking out.

I told her that it was not really acceptable to do that... when she asked why, I told her...

"Well, unfortunately, if this aircraft has to ditch in the north sea on the way to Stockholm, and I shout the command to "Unfasten your seat belt! Grab your life jacket! Come this way!", grabbing your hand bag, will most certainly not keep you afloat in the water for very long."
I think I get it! The reason to put your bag underneath the seat infront is to make the PAX infront grab your bag instead of a lifejacket, rather than yourself.

Seriously though, I have seen footage of people not knowing left from right under stress, not much that can be done about that I fear.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by moeve
Excuse me I may have misunderstood but she had turned off the phone and was inquiring about his details BEFORE the FA ENTERED the cockpit and had her thrown out!!! Right??

1) If they were still at the gate the FA should have had no trouble with her since she turned it off BEFORE going to taxi

2) if they were already on the taxiway - then what the H*** was the FA doing opening the door to the cockpit anyway! Post 9/11 regulations require those doors to be secured BEFORE leaving the gate!

OK now what did I miss???
Crossing the border by the sound of things.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:55 pm

Programs: A|Club Gold, HHonors Silver, TAP Miles winner
I understand most of you don't fly Ryanair, so no one mentioned this, but last week on a ryanair flight they had a new sign to switch on and off the mobile phones, basically you can switch them on during the flight, not take-off or landing. It's free to receive texts, but you pay for everything else. So while, it is possible that mobiles may interfere with 'something' during take off and lading, now everyone can use their mobiles without restrictions during the flight, so I am guessing there really is no interference.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by jameslon
I am curious to know (I'm sure there is a good reason) why mobile phones can be placed into flight-safe mode (if they have this feature) for take off, however all devices (including phones with flight-safe mode) need to be switched off completely for landing. Anyone know?
Unless I'm mistaken, all devices, flight-safe or not, are to be switched off during take-off and landing
Old Oct 14, 2009, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by SteveF
Quite. I'm almost 100% sure that every aircraft (including BAs) is carrying some phones that are not switched off on every takeoff and landing, and how many have crashed as a result? None I guess. And if they were a real risk, surely all phones would be confiscated at security and handed back on arrival. Unfeasible? Sure, but so is checking everyone for liquids...
There was a Crossair crash where an investigation apparently showed that the autopilot crashed at the exact point a passenger received a text message and another received a call, which led to some countries banning phone use on aircraft (I would note, however, it wasn't the official reason for the crash): Crossair Flight 498

Last edited by JamieT; Oct 14, 2009 at 3:48 pm Reason: to correct info
Old Oct 15, 2009, 3:06 am

Ok demanding that phone be turned off before taxi is fair enough and I think we can all agree on that but the way I read this the aircraft in question was still at the gate albeit possibly the door closed but then why all this hoopla when it seems the lady had turned off her cell with a substancial time to spare as she even had time to go and inquire about the FA details WHILE STLL AT THE GATE. So what is the big deal - she says she turned it off when the safety instructions began?!

I am sure I am missing something........ I just don't know what and why this FA thought it was so bad he needed to throw her off for goodness sake. Nowdays with these videos the FA are often jabbering themselves during these instructions because they don't have to do the demos anymore.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 3:45 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi pcg,

Originally Posted by pcg2001
I understand most of you don't fly Ryanair, so no one mentioned this, but last week on a ryanair flight they had a new sign to switch on and off the mobile phones, basically you can switch them on during the flight, not take-off or landing. It's free to receive texts, but you pay for everything else. So while, it is possible that mobiles may interfere with 'something' during take off and lading, now everyone can use their mobiles without restrictions during the flight, so I am guessing there really is no interference.
This is because Ryanair has installed the OnAir system, thus carrying a picocell onboard the plane. You are thus allowed to use your phone in-flight, but still have to turn it off during take-off and landing, which is the part of the flight the airlines are concerned about.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Oct 15, 2009, 4:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Ok demanding that phone be turned off before taxi is fair enough and I think we can all agree on that but the way I read this the aircraft in question was still at the gate albeit possibly the door closed but then why all this hoopla when it seems the lady had turned off her cell with a substancial time to spare as she even had time to go and inquire about the FA details WHILE STLL AT THE GATE. So what is the big deal - she says she turned it off when the safety instructions began?!

I am sure I am missing something........ I just don't know what and why this FA thought it was so bad he needed to throw her off for goodness sake. Nowdays with these videos the FA are often jabbering themselves during these instructions because they don't have to do the demos anymore.
Was it turned off in plenty of time? That for me is an area of doubt.

It's to do with her contention that her phone was turned off when the announcement was made to do so.

When is that announcement made? The only one I can recall is the one made during the safety demo - which is after the phone should be turned off. Is there another during the cabin welcome that I just tune out?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel

It's to do with her contention that her phone was turned off when the announcement was made to do so.

When is that announcement made? The only one I can recall is the one made during the safety demo - which is after the phone should be turned off. Is there another during the cabin welcome that I just tune out?

Well she seemed to have enough time to inquire about the FA details and the FA obviously had enough time to enter the cockpit explain the situation and then have them reopen the door which tells me the aircraft was still at the gate also bear in mind this sort of thing costs time AND money because it isn't just a case of opening the door and throwing her out but also locating and unloading her luggage - not doing this would also have been a violation on behave of the crew......

Sorry but this fish has a smell to it. If I haven't misunderstood anything here then the FA was haveing a VERY bad day to have triggered this sort of incident - power tripping in over blow. If you cannot deal with a passenger over a bl***y phone call perhaps you need to have a job without having to deal with people because I fear this particular FA would have been useless in a real emergancy that day.(Please note I said that day! because I too am well aware of the fact that FAs are human too - however they can do lots of damage not only to passengers but also to their employer if and when they lack restraint) In this case taking a deep breath and trying it nicely probably would have gotten him/her further.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
she says she turned it off when the safety instructions began?!
With the greatest of respect... On numerous occasions, people say they have switched off this or that, removed ear phones etc... only for me to walk back past them after securing another part of the cabin, and shock horror... the item is switched back on and ear phones popped back in ears... Unfortunately, as people say, more than one side to every story... You keep saying, to the effect of, why did the "FA" feel they needed to have them removed etc... We, non of us, know what else has happened and what had gone on leading up to this, or indeed the actual real details of the situation.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 5:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jenbel

This is where the area of doubt creeps in.
The official line is that mobile phones should be switched off when the engines are running (so I've heard). How does one know when the engines are running though? How does one know when the doors are closed?
Simple way to solve this problem is to ask everyone to switch the damn things off before entering the aircraft I would have thought.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
If I haven't misunderstood anything here then the FA was haveing a VERY bad day to have triggered this sort of incident - power tripping in over blow. If you cannot deal with a passenger over a bl***y phone call perhaps you need to have a job without having to deal with people because I fear this particular FA would have been useless in a real emergancy that day.
You appear to be drawing some very damning conclusions on the professional competence of the FA based on scant information from that bastion of journalistic excellence the Daily Mail. How on earth, given the information available can you conclude what the FA would or wouldn't do in an emergency?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 6:01 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
This is where the area of doubt creeps in.
The official line is that mobile phones should be switched off when the engines are running (so I've heard). How does one know when the engines are running though? How does one know when the doors are closed?
Simple way to solve this problem is to ask everyone to switch the damn things off before entering the aircraft I would have thought.
Lufthansa used to require just this, to the unending annoyance of people trying to use BlackBerrys/mobile phones during the 20+ minutes between boarding and doors closing.

I normally avoid Lufthansa like a particularly deadly plague, but I did have the misfortune of flying them recently and noticed that this rule was no longer in place.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by timezonehopper
You appear to be drawing some very damning conclusions on the professional competence of the FA based on scant information from that bastion of journalistic excellence the Daily Mail. How on earth, given the information available can you conclude what the FA would or wouldn't do in an emergency?
Well actually the FA did that because the reason given for throwning her off was because he couldn't get her to OBEY his orders immeadiately. I am questioning his competance on THAT particular day because a simple phone call can be dealt with in a more professional way without acting like a small child stamping ones foot and storming off to get daddy because someone won't play with you. The simple fact that they were obviously still at the gate when she turned off her phone shows me that this was a complete overreaction. That just wasn't his day and not being able to deal with something simple leaves ample room for doubt when things really go wrong!!

Come on letting someone finish a call while still at the gate poses absolutely no danger to anyone. To all those whining about phone calls and demanding repect from the other side seem to forget that this sort of thing goes both ways. Who knows maybe one day YOU will be the one trying to save a deal at the last minute before push back full well knowing they won't be able to reach you over the next hours.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 6:44 am

Considerably OT, but I was wondering why BA (and maybe other airlines) insist that you don't use a headset to listen to the audio channels while the plane is landing. I really find listening to some of the channels very calming, but have had a few FAs tell me off for using my own headphones while the flight was landing. No anoucement is ever made on the lines of, "stop listening to the audio channels during landing "

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.