Paying rent on Amex in London

Old Oct 11, 09, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
Paying rent on Amex in London

I'm thinking of moving for various reasons and I thought it would be a good opportunity to earn a few miles as property is never cheap in London.

So has anyone found a letting agency that lets them pay their monthly rent on Amex (preferably without fee)? At the very least it'd be nice to pay at least the deposit and first rent installment on the card.

Obviously this wouldn't be my main criteria, but if all of the important things were equal then it'd sure be nice to earn a few extra miles. My current letting agency doesn't accept Amex and charges for other credit card payments so I just use direct debit.
Old Oct 11, 09, 6:02 pm

Programs: BMI & BA
Originally Posted by browserden View Post
I'm thinking of moving for various reasons and I thought it would be a good opportunity to earn a few miles as property is never cheap in London.

So has anyone found a letting agency that lets them pay their monthly rent on Amex (preferably without fee)? At the very least it'd be nice to pay at least the deposit and first rent installment on the card.

Obviously this wouldn't be my main criteria, but if all of the important things were equal then it'd sure be nice to earn a few extra miles. My current letting agency doesn't accept Amex and charges for other credit card payments so I just use direct debit.
Will they accept payment by PayPal? Granted there are associated fees with this and you need to work out just how much it will cost you before diving in, but it might be the answer.
Old Oct 11, 09, 6:22 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
As a landlord myself, I wouldn't want to take a payment from a tenant if the agency had to take out any credit card fees. Letting agencies in London charge more than the rest of the nation (according to the National Landlords Association of which I'm a member). Even when I ask for a letting only agreement (ie, find me a tenant for a fixed percentage) they add on additional fees, and then I find the tenant has been stiffed for additional charges too!

If you are desparate to pay with Amex, try Foxtons as I'm sure they'll find a way to charge both you and the landlord for the privilige! Amex does charge more for the privilge of using the card as a retailer, so expect to be stung!
Old Oct 11, 09, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Is it possible to overpay tax or other government-related liabilities with a credit card in the UK and then get a timely refund without the credit card holder having to pay a substantial transaction fee?

In the US, some people use a credit card to buy a cheap item plus a money order using a credit card and then use the money orders to pay the mortgage/rent bill -- it's getting harder and harder to do that, but now we have the US mint coin purchase deal where coins can be bought on a credit card without any fees whatsoever.
Old Oct 12, 09, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
It seems the general conclusion is that it's not really worth the hassle and the letting agent is likely to pass on the fees to either myself, the landlord or both.

When I lived in Scotland the letting agent there was willing to take Visa payments at no extra charge but did try and sell me on the convenience of direct debit.
Old Oct 12, 09, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Is it possible to overpay tax or other government-related liabilities with a credit card in the UK and then get a timely refund without the credit card holder having to pay a substantial transaction fee?
Yes, but not on an Amex. I am doing this with my BMI credit card and am also putting my Paypal Top Up Card money to the revenue. You pay 0.91% fee on the BMI Mastercard, but this is 0.46p per mile - so a business class ticket to the US costs me 345 + tax, for example. There is no fee for using the Paypal card.

Caveats - a) the BMI Mastercard which pays 2 miles per 1 is no longer available to new applicants, b) I pay huge amounts of tax and therefore the sums we are talking about simply disappear into the mix as far as the Revenue is concerned. If you only pay 500 of tax directly and start pre-paying 50k and then immediately refunding it, you'll be spotted!

To the OP - the problem with paying rent on a credit card (for the landlord and agent) is a charge back. You could simply ring Amex at any point and dispute the charge, and Amex would immediately reclaim the money from the agent whilst your claim was investigated. No agent would take this risk.

Last edited by Raffles; Oct 12, 09 at 9:34 am
Old Oct 12, 09, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I asked my landlord if I could pay my rent by Amex once some years ago when I was living in London.

The answer may have been described as firm.

Search this Thread