FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA Chase Visa Signature Card (USA) and Travel Together questions [Master thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1004128-ba-chase-visa-signature-card-usa-travel-together-questions-master-thread.html)

millionmilerNC Jan 24, 2010 8:58 pm

50 + 50 posted now. Cool:)

mlm Jan 26, 2010 1:56 pm

My (100k promo) first BA Chase Visa billing cycle finally ended so I paid it in full, $2130. before the due date. How long before any miles will post? Do I need to wait until the actual Chase due date? I still haven't gotten the 50k for my first purchase made a month ago.

NatsDad Jan 26, 2010 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by mlm (Post 13261543)
My (100k promo) first BA Chase Visa billing cycle finally ended so I paid it in full, $2130. before the due date. How long before any miles will post? Do I need to wait until the actual Chase due date? I still haven't gotten the 50k for my first purchase made a month ago.

The miles only post after the statement has been produced so you should get the 2 x 50,000. However we (both DW and myself) had to contact Chase as our BAEC numbers were not attached to our account even though they were entered on the application. We used the secure message facility and the miles posted within 48 hours.

Happy Jan 26, 2010 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by mlm (Post 13261543)

Is your BAEC number on your card? If not, chances are your BAEC number is not in records.

Use secure email to verify your BAEC number is in account records. Without that, the miles are stuck in the pipeline not going anywhere.

Payment date has nothing to do with mile posting. If miles showing up on your statement, then they should post to your BAEC account within 2 to 3 business days. If on the statement but not in your BACE account after several days then your BAEC number is missing. If not on the statement, then you need to contact Chase, again via secure email.

mlm Jan 29, 2010 9:21 am

Yes, my # is on my Visa card. I called BA Ex.Club today and they said it will take 6-8 weeks to post. I made my first purchase more than a month ago and even those 50k aren't posted. Just venting, don't understand why this is all taking so long since Chase recording says points transferred to BA on day 3 after payment was made.

I thought I had read that some got f.f. credit within days after paying Chase Visa bill. Not me.

jerry a. laska Jan 29, 2010 10:41 am

Originally Posted by mlm (Post 13281519)
Yes, my # is on my Visa card. I called BA Ex.Club today and they said it will take 6-8 weeks to post. I made my first purchase more than a month ago and even those 50k aren't posted. Just venting, don't understand why this is all taking so long since Chase recording says points transferred to BA on day 3 after payment was made.

I thought I had read that some got f.f. credit within days after paying Chase Visa bill. Not me.

The only reports I have seen are that people have received the 50,000 mile postings several days after the billing cycle ends for that period, not when payment is made. This was true in my case also.

BrlDsguise Jan 29, 2010 10:50 am

There is no correlation between payments and miles posting on my BA Executive Club account. My first 50K posted weeks before I paid my first statement and my second 50K posted on my second statement closing date.

DaMadCroat Jan 30, 2010 4:03 am

extremely disappointed

I've had a very disappointing experience applying for the Chase card, and wonder if anybody has heard of anything similar.

I applied for the card in November, when the 100k offer was still in effect. I immediately received an e-mail stating that I would receive a response via post in 15-30 days. Fine. At the 35 day mark, having heard nothing, I called Chase (after having to dig up the number, of course, since they do not freely provide it).

A helpful agent looked into my application and advised me that Chase could not confirm my address (odd, as I have two current accounts and three credit cards billed to that address). She asked me to send an ORIGINAL utilities bill, as well as a copy of my social security card (also odd, as they should be able to look me up with just the number). I was frustrated, but did not want to lose out on the 100k miles, so I put the materials together and mailed them to Chase.

Fast forward to yesterday (29 Jan 2010) when, still having heard nothing, I decided to call Chase again. Seven minute wait. The first agent told me that there was no record of my application (?!). She offered to transfer me to the applications department. Fine. Except that I was transferred to the applications department's answer machine that stated that the department no longer accepted telephone calls and that I would have to track the status of my application via their website. Argh. Then it hung up on me.

I called back. Fifteen minute wait. I explained to the agent what had happened. She told me there was nothing she could do and that, "yes, applications do sometimes just disappear from the system". Argh. Asked for supervisor. Agent hung up on me. Argh.

Called a third time. Ten minute wait. Spoke to a very friendly agent who took the time to look for my application materials in several places (or at least talked me through what she was doing and what her thought process was). Finally her hypothesis was that my application may have been "archived" as it had been so long since my initial submission, and that she would stay on the line whilst trying to get the applications department for me. Fine. Except... even internally, they do not have direct access to the applications department anymore! She was herself directed to a website for employees to submit queries. Bad move, Chase. The agent then offered to get a supervisor for me.

The supervisor advised me that there was nothing she could do as she was unable to find my application, and that I was welcome to apply again (for 30k miles, after they lost my application the first time?! No thanks!).

For now I'll stick to earning points on my AMEX.

Anybody had similar troubles?

vindesante Jan 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Also disappointed

Originally Posted by DaMadCroat (Post 13286927)
I've had a very disappointing experience applying for the Chase card, and wonder if anybody has heard of anything similar.

I applied for the card in November, when the 100k offer was still in effect. I immediately received an e-mail stating that I would receive a response via post in 15-30 days. Fine. At the 35 day mark, having heard nothing, I called Chase (after having to dig up the number, of course, since they do not freely provide it).

A helpful agent looked into my application and advised me that Chase could not confirm my address (odd, as I have two current accounts and three credit cards billed to that address). She asked me to send an ORIGINAL utilities bill, as well as a copy of my social security card (also odd, as they should be able to look me up with just the number). I was frustrated, but did not want to lose out on the 100k miles, so I put the materials together and mailed them to Chase.

Fast forward to yesterday (29 Jan 2010) when, still having heard nothing, I decided to call Chase again. Seven minute wait. The first agent told me that there was no record of my application (?!). She offered to transfer me to the applications department. Fine. Except that I was transferred to the applications department's answer machine that stated that the department no longer accepted telephone calls and that I would have to track the status of my application via their website. Argh. Then it hung up on me.

I called back. Fifteen minute wait. I explained to the agent what had happened. She told me there was nothing she could do and that, "yes, applications do sometimes just disappear from the system". Argh. Asked for supervisor. Agent hung up on me. Argh.

Called a third time. Ten minute wait. Spoke to a very friendly agent who took the time to look for my application materials in several places (or at least talked me through what she was doing and what her thought process was). Finally her hypothesis was that my application may have been "archived" as it had been so long since my initial submission, and that she would stay on the line whilst trying to get the applications department for me. Fine. Except... even internally, they do not have direct access to the applications department anymore! She was herself directed to a website for employees to submit queries. Bad move, Chase. The agent then offered to get a supervisor for me.

The supervisor advised me that there was nothing she could do as she was unable to find my application, and that I was welcome to apply again (for 30k miles, after they lost my application the first time?! No thanks!).

For now I'll stick to earning points on my AMEX.

Anybody had similar troubles?

Four family members applied. Three of us had no problems. The fourth however, was asked to provide additional documentation. They then send an Amazon CC instead of the BA card, almost a month later! And when they are called, claim that the additional documents arrived 2 1/2 weeks after they were mailed in, and since they had not been received in their 30 day window, as required, this is the result. We were on the phone with four different representatives from at least three diff. departments (including fraud!). As of now, 8 days later, no resolution in sight.

allset2travel Jan 30, 2010 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by mlm (Post 13218054)
..... She explained that the remaining 50k miles will not be credited until after 3 months (even though I accrued them the first month) and that miles won't be posted to Ex Club for another 6 weeks after that !! .........

Her statement is not true. I got the entire 100k bonus miles within 2 months from date of card approval ($2k+ spending in first 20 days not withstanding). Should you need the 100k miles to plan for a trip in short order, I'd call and talk to another CSR.

DaMadCroat Jan 30, 2010 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by vindesante (Post 13289074)
Four family members applied. Three of us had no problems. The fourth however, was asked to provide additional documentation. They then send an Amazon CC instead of the BA card, almost a month later! And when they are called, claim that the additional documents arrived 2 1/2 weeks after they were mailed in, and since they had not been received in their 30 day window, as required, this is the result. We were on the phone with four different representatives from at least three diff. departments (including fraud!). As of now, 8 days later, no resolution in sight.

Sorry to hear that. I don't know if it's comforting or even more frustrating that somebody else experienced similar troubles. I'm leaning toward the latter.

Through this, Chase have lost my business on any financial services product they may ever try to sell to me... unless, of course, they ever offer such a great deal again, in which case I'll apply for it and immediately cancel post-reward accrual just to spite them.

I hope there wasn't a fee associated with the Amazon card at least.

-rant off-

Happy Jan 30, 2010 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by DaMadCroat (Post 13289376)
Sorry to hear that. I don't know if it's comforting or even more frustrating that somebody else experienced similar troubles. I'm leaning toward the latter.

Through this, Chase have lost my business on any financial services product they may ever try to sell to me... unless, of course, they ever offer such a great deal again, in which case I'll apply for it and immediately cancel post-reward accrual just to spite them.

I hope there wasn't a fee associated with the Amazon card at least.

-rant off-

If you ever read the FIRST POST of the BA Visa thread in the Miles Buzz forum, you would have all the information including which telephone numbers to call to find out your status, especially the number(s) that go thru the "back door" long before your waiting for 35 days. People started calling the status line the day after their applications literally.

The need of ID verification is not uncommon per posts on that big thread - at least a doz or more posters reported they were required to send in materials to verify their IDs, including posters who actually applied thru their Chase log-ins. The truth is, in the case of using Chase log-in, is if there is the slightest difference in the information filled in the application form versus your existing profile, the application is immediately sent to Fraud Dept. The Fraud Dept then decided if the mis-match warrants a request for further documentation to verify ID.

You missed all the ongoing discussions on all different scenarios reported in the Miles Buzz forum.

Happy Jan 30, 2010 8:42 pm

Payment has nothing to do with miles being posted.

Statement closing date determines WHEN the miles are posted. Miles should show up on your statement.

If the miles are on your Chase statement, then it would show up in BAEC account within 2 business days, assuming your BAEC number on your card is the correct one.

There is a reported case that the poster has his miles on the statement but not shows up in his BAEC account despite his BAEC number has correctly associated with his card. The reason turned out is, the poster has a NON-US address in his BAEC account. This offer is only good for US residents. Hence BAEC would not post his miles.

Does your case fall into this scenario?

Instead of calling BAEC, you should send a secured mail to Chase asking for investigation of the missing miles assuming those miles are on your statement.

Happy Jan 30, 2010 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska (Post 13282120)
The only reports I have seen are that people have received the 50,000 mile postings several days after the billing cycle ends for that period, not when payment is made. This was true in my case also.

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise (Post 13282179)
There is no correlation between payments and miles posting on my BA Executive Club account. My first 50K posted weeks before I paid my first statement and my second 50K posted on my second statement closing date.

Almost all reward cards, be it airline miles or hotel points, post the rewards AFTER statement closes. Payment has nothing to do with it.

The miles or points show up on the statement. The banks send the information to the corresponding loyalty programs - it depends on what type of processing the program uses (whether it is a batch processing or continuous daily processing), the miles or points show up in the loyalty program anywhere between 2 to 10 business days.

In the BA case, 2 business days seem to be the regular interval between Chase statement date and BAEC posting date.

stheller Mar 3, 2010 6:34 pm

I just called Chase and was told that I was $48 short on getting the second 50k miles, due to the annual fee not being counted as part of the spending. It's after the 3rd statement, so I can't correct that by buying something else. I recall the fine print saying that the fee counted, but can't find the original flyer to check.

Does anyone have the original flyer so that I can check? And is there any way I can appeal this decision and possibly get a reconsideration?

Thanks!

Aitchly Mar 3, 2010 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by stheller (Post 13505925)
I just called Chase and was told that I was $48 short on getting the second 50k miles, due to the annual fee not being counted as part of the spending. It's after the 3rd statement, so I can't correct that by buying something else. I recall the fine print saying that the fee counted, but can't find the original flyer to check.

Does anyone have the original flyer so that I can check? And is there any way I can appeal this decision and possibly get a reconsideration?

Thanks!

Just has to be within 93 days from application approval. Buy something for $50; it will give you better leverage when you call.

stheller Mar 3, 2010 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Aitchly (Post 13505962)
Just has to be within 93 days from application approval. Buy something for $50; it will give you better leverage when you call.

Unfortunately I'm slightly past 93 days. I will buy something else this weekend when I get back to where the card is. So you think there is a possibility they will give me a break on this? I'll definitely call them and try again then (after charging something else on the card of course).

coatieexpat Mar 3, 2010 7:23 pm

chase operator

Just thought I would pass this along.......

If you are having trouble contacting Chase try this, it worked for me.

Phone:
800-227-5151

Continually press 1 until transferred to a live agent

Hours of Operation:
Automated Service available 24 hours/7 days a week

Representatives available M-F
8:00 AM-7:00 PM ET

zoosh Mar 3, 2010 7:34 pm

Why Wait?

Originally Posted by stheller (Post 13506056)
Unfortunately I'm slightly past 93 days. I will buy something else this weekend when I get back to where the card is. So you think there is a possibility they will give me a break on this? I'll definitely call them and try again then (after charging something else on the card of course).

You could always buy something on-line and not wait until you are re-united this weekend with the actual plastic.

You could even send yourself $50.00 via PayPal and you would only be out the PayPal fee and have access to the rest of the monies.

mwalsh Mar 4, 2010 8:00 am

Originally Posted by stheller (Post 13505925)
I just called Chase and was told that I was $48 short on getting the second 50k miles,

Pretty sure that's the way it's always been...never get miles for the annual fee. Though we do get 2500 bonus miles for each of our cards at the same time.

Benjh Mar 4, 2010 9:15 am

Originally Posted by zoosh (Post 13506301)
You could always buy something on-line and not wait until you are re-united this weekend with the actual plastic.

You could even send yourself $50.00 via PayPal and you would only be out the PayPal fee and have access to the rest of the monies.

Good ideas, but didn't the OP state his statement has closed?

Here's another: find a merchant you used recently, that you are somehow friends with (maybe a local restaurant, or store?) and have them increase your bill by $48. For example, go to your favorite restaurant, and ask them to add a $50 tip to the last bill.
Of course, this would work only if the merchant hasn't closed the transaction, but it's worth a shot. Maybe there's a way for them to open a closed transaction - would the difference appear in this month's statement or not?

Last idea: challenge a purchase (still with a friend-store, stating it was more expensive that you were actually charged).

stheller Mar 5, 2010 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Benjh (Post 13509616)
Good ideas, but didn't the OP state his statement has closed?

Here's another: find a merchant you used recently, that you are somehow friends with (maybe a local restaurant, or store?) and have them increase your bill by $48. For example, go to your favorite restaurant, and ask them to add a $50 tip to the last bill.
Of course, this would work only if the merchant hasn't closed the transaction, but it's worth a shot. Maybe there's a way for them to open a closed transaction - would the difference appear in this month's statement or not?

Last idea: challenge a purchase (still with a friend-store, stating it was more expensive that you were actually charged).

Update: I called Chase customer service today, after making a purchase of $64 on the card last night, and explained the situation. The CS person went away for several minutes and then returned with the message that she had spoken with Marketing and they thought they could help me, considering that my account was "preferred". I didn't ask what that meant, assuming that I was supposed to know already. She said I should check back with them in 10 days or so to see what the decision was, if I hadn't already seen the other 50K miles post.

At the end of the conversation, she asked me whether I'd be interested in their "ID protection" plan for $7.99/month. I said "If you'll go for the other 50K miles, I'll go for the protection plan". She laughed and said that was fair enough.

So we'll see. Of course, I'll report back on the final outcome.

ORDNorth Mar 9, 2010 8:37 am

You must have used a different number, as this number below goes direct to Chase "Auto Financing" only ......

Originally Posted by coatieexpat (Post 13506241)
Just thought I would pass this along.......

If you are having trouble contacting Chase try this, it worked for me.

Phone:
800-227-5151

Continually press 1 until transferred to a live agent

Hours of Operation:
Automated Service available 24 hours/7 days a week

Representatives available M-F
8:00 AM-7:00 PM ET

coatieexpat Mar 9, 2010 5:52 pm

My apologies..

You must have used a different number, as this number below goes direct to Chase "Auto Financing" only ......
Sorry about that, I think continually pressing 1 will work though.

Mick

RAJWADIA Mar 10, 2010 8:58 am

voucher posted and used...(2009 usage)

hi all
i think the simplicity of using the companion voucher is completely brilliant.
got posted on my account yday and after cancelling another booking (which i made while waiting since Jan for the voucher), it was nice to see that it worked so seamlessly.

i give a thumbs up to ba for this new addition. well done.
^

now lets wait and see how quickly i get the voucher for 2010, since i have already crossed the charge requirement.

rjw

mwalsh Mar 10, 2010 9:55 am

Originally Posted by RAJWADIA (Post 13548677)
hi all
i think the simplicity of using the companion voucher is completely brilliant.
got posted on my account yday

Got ours too! ^

Won't get a chance to book anything until I've had a chance to talk with my wife this weekend and sort out some possible dates though. Hope there's still some decent inventory left by then! Edit: No email notification though, so perhaps the unwashed masses won't realize the vouchers have been issued for a few days.

stheller Mar 10, 2010 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by stheller (Post 13521506)
Update: I called Chase customer service today, after making a purchase of $64 on the card last night, and explained the situation. The CS person went away for several minutes and then returned with the message that she had spoken with Marketing and they thought they could help me, considering that my account was "preferred". I didn't ask what that meant, assuming that I was supposed to know already. She said I should check back with them in 10 days or so to see what the decision was, if I hadn't already seen the other 50K miles post.

At the end of the conversation, she asked me whether I'd be interested in their "ID protection" plan for $7.99/month. I said "If you'll go for the other 50K miles, I'll go for the protection plan". She laughed and said that was fair enough.

So we'll see. Of course, I'll report back on the final outcome.

The other 50K bonus miles were posted on Monday. I guess it never hurts to ask!

flytiger001 Mar 18, 2010 1:08 pm

chase BA executive club 100000 points

has anyone canceled their chase visa card after the 10000 points were posted ? if so did you still retain the points after canceling ?

mwalsh Mar 27, 2010 11:05 am

I don't know if it was in this tread or another, and can't find it now because the search engine won't search on the word "First", but we were talking about how this card was a First USA Visa card before it was a Chase card.

To my surprise I've found, while going through some old EC promotional materials, that it was actually a Chase card from it's introduction in the autumn of 1993, becoming a First USA card in early 1998, then back to a Chase card following Chase acquisition of First USA. Knock me over with a feather!

mwalsh Apr 16, 2010 3:16 pm

Did anyone sign on for the bonus miles promo running from Jan 1 - March 31 - the one with 2.5 miles for regular spend and 5 miles for BA spend? We did, but I'm confused as all get out by the bonus miles we've received so far.

From Jan 1 - Jan 20 we spent $984 net (after a few returns)
From Jan 21 - Feb 20 we spent $2204 net
From Feb 21 - March 20 we spent $3003 net

For all these it appears we got the standard 1.25 miles per $. Edit: Oh, and none of it is BA spend.

Then, last month, we get this random 3090 "bonus" miles post, and I can't for the life of me figure out what part of the $ we've charged they're supposed to be for. Does anyone who has received bonus miles for this promo yet have a better idea?

Eurosport Apr 16, 2010 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by flytiger001 (Post 13601693)
has anyone canceled their chase visa card after the 10000 points were posted ? if so did you still retain the points after canceling ?

you better wait 6 statements otherwise they could dissapear...

HilFly Apr 16, 2010 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by mwalsh (Post 13785783)
Did anyone sign on for the bonus miles promo running from Jan 1 - March 31 - the one with 2.5 miles for regular spend and 5 miles for BA spend? We did, but I'm confused as all get out by the bonus miles we've received so far.

From Jan 1 - Jan 20 we spent $984 net (after a few returns)
From Jan 21 - Feb 20 we spent $2204 net
From Feb 21 - March 20 we spent $3003 net

For all these it appears we got the standard 1.25 miles per $. Edit: Oh, and none of it is BA spend.

Then, last month, we get this random 3090 "bonus" miles post, and I can't for the life of me figure out what part of the $ we've charged they're supposed to be for. Does anyone who has received bonus miles for this promo yet have a better idea?

I have never been able to match the bonus miles with the spending. I know there is a lag - the bonus miles postiong this month aren't from this month's purchases, but I've never been able to match them to anything! I have spreadsheets by category, I've called Chase and gone through the statment line by line - every now and then I look at them again and try to work it out.

These are the aggregate totals from statements so far this year. I think I have another 15000 bonus miles to come from the double miles Jan 1 - Mar 31 promotion, but I may have had 4900 of them. Some of the bonus miles posting here are from the targeted category promotion from Oct - Dec last year.

BA Spend 4282
BA Miles 10706
Non BA Spend 20128
Non BA Miles 22286
Promotional Miles 22780

And that's before I start on Mr Hilfly's account!

Yesterday we both got cards about new bonus offers. Mr H got 10000 bonus miles for spending $1000 in each of April, May & June. That seems a particularly brain dead offer when he spends much more than that each month anyway. Here's a bunch of miles for doing what you already do! Wonder who thought that promotion up?

I got double miles on gas & grocery purchases on a total spend of more than $1000 in those categories in April, May & June.

I am ready to give up trying to keep track of it and hope that sombody, somehwere is getting it right!

Is there anyone out there who DOES understand their bonus miles on a Chase visa?

mwalsh Apr 16, 2010 5:42 pm

I guess that's the way I've come to accept it too. If anyone can pick apart their reckoning any better, I'd also be glad to hear from you!

bernardd Apr 16, 2010 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by HilFly (Post 13786186)
Yesterday we both got cards about new bonus offers. Mr H got 10000 bonus miles for spending $1000 in each of April, May & June. That seems a particularly brain dead offer when he spends much more than that each month anyway. Here's a bunch of miles for doing what you already do! Wonder who thought that promotion up?

I'm not sure if it was deliberate or stupid that all of these seemed to have arrived in the middle of the first month. If they're trying to get people who don't habitually spend $1,000 per month on Chase to up their spending then they set them a steep target in the first month. Why didn't they mail these to arrive by the end of March?

fly12345 Apr 16, 2010 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by mwalsh (Post 13785783)

was this a targetted promotion? i've had my chase card since october, but never received this offer to sign up... i know it's over now, but just wanted to know if i'm missing out of something more. (btw, i recently received an offer to get 5000 bonus miles by adding a user, but this propotion referred to above, i've never even heard of before reading this forum).

mwalsh Apr 16, 2010 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by fly12345 (Post 13786975)
was this a targetted promotion? i've had my chase card since october, but never received this offer to sign up... i know it's over now, but just wanted to know if i'm missing out of something more.

Yes, targeted. I guess we got a card about it in mid December. I think it got generally overlooked because the $30k companion ticket offer came just a few weeks earlier and grabbed all the headlines.

Edit: BTW, the "Miles Buzz" area seems to pick up on these offers more readily that the BA board does for some reason. See the current discussion over there about a 10k bonus miles promotion that has had nary the mention here as far as I can see.

HilFly Apr 17, 2010 12:20 am

Originally Posted by fly12345 (Post 13786975)
was this a targetted promotion? i've had my chase card since october, but never received this offer to sign up... i know it's over now, but just wanted to know if i'm missing out of something more. (btw, i recently received an offer to get 5000 bonus miles by adding a user, but this propotion referred to above, i've never even heard of before reading this forum).

Yes, most of the promotions are targeted. Mr H and I very rarely get the same deals.

Originally Posted by bernardd (Post 13786563)
I'm not sure if it was deliberate or stupid that all of these seemed to have arrived in the middle of the first month. If they're trying to get people who don't habitually spend $1,000 per month on Chase to up their spending then they set them a steep target in the first month. Why didn't they mail these to arrive by the end of March?

As long as you register sometime during the promotion period, they include any spending back to the start date of the promotion. At least it's not only transactions after you register that count.

mwalsh Apr 17, 2010 7:58 am

Originally Posted by HilFly (Post 13787933)
Yes, most of the promotions are targeted. Mr H and I very rarely get the same deals.

I'm very surprised (and a bit envious) you both got the 10k bonus promotion currently on offer....it's seems to have been targeted more towards people who haven't been using their cards heavily, and you guys appear to use your cards more than Mrs. Walsh and I do. We were never targeted for this one, and actually turned down when I wrote for enrollment codes. :(

HilFly Apr 17, 2010 8:27 am

Originally Posted by mwalsh (Post 13789211)
I'm very surprised (and a bit envious) you both got the 10k bonus promotion currently on offer....it's seems to have been targeted more towards people who haven't been using their cards heavily, and you guys appear to use your cards more than Mrs. Walsh and I do. We were never targeted for this one, and actually turned down when I wrote for enrollment codes. :(

I didn't get the 10k bonus offer - only Mr H did. I got the gas and groceries deal. Both of us routinely spend more than $1000 per month on our BA cards. I usually spend considerably more than $1000 on my card in three months on gas and groceries, but they are not categories where I am going to run out and spend more on them to get more miles. (Unless I offer to keep BBB stocked with Ben & Jerry's - I could clean up on miles there!) These offers are doing nothing to persuade us to increase our spend on the cards, but it is nice to get the miles anyway.

I will call Chase, however, and check which supermarkets are categorized as "grocery" spend. They had a promotion like this a couple of years ago and I discovered the hard way that the grocery chain that I used most was categorized as "general merchant" rather than "grocery". The same thing happened when restaurants were included in a promotion - we had spent thousands of $$$ in a particular restaurant during the promo period, only to discover it was categorized as "catering" instead of "dining". This is something that is impossible to ascertain from the dining establishment itself or from the categories printed on statements.

Blue Box Flynn Apr 17, 2010 9:03 am

Unfortunately for the "Industry" type promotions, your at the mercy of that merchant's particular Acquirer (Bank) as its they who determine what industry to classify the merchant in (typically its determined based on price / risk factors) and this may not match to what you think it is