Quick Q about Purchasing Miles (US Exec Member)

Old Oct 8, 09, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Hilton Hhonors, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold
Quick Q about Purchasing Miles (US Exec Member)

Afternoon all

Just wanted to confirm my reading of the Sticky:

If I interpret it correctly, I can purchase up to 19,000 per year (Jan - Dec) on my account and my GF can also purchase 19,000 for her account which as we have a HHA means we can purchase up to 38,000 as a whole - correct ?

Plus with the extra 25% offer at the mo and the hope that I would also get 2 miles per $ spent on my Chase BA Signature Visa - I calculate the following:

19,000 + 4,750 = 23,750 per Acc = $547.50
23,750 *2 = 47,500 for our HHA = $1,095.00
$1,095.00 * 2 = 2,190

So for an outlay of $1,095 I get 49,690 miles - not fantastic value for straight redemption but enough for pretty much 2 X MFU for WT+ to CW for JFK - LHR flights (going to need at least 3 trips in the next 12 months)

Have I got the calc correct ? any thoughts on if its worth doing ?

Currently I class CW return JFK - LHR running at $2,500+ whilst WT+ MFU running at $1,200+

Any thoughts or advice welcomed

FYI - still hoping the current Ex US offer of a measily $20 off will improve next week - the complimentary ticket offer via BA or the one via the Chase BA are pretty restrictive and expensive

Cheers BBF
Old Oct 8, 09, 1:00 pm

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Im prepared to be shot down, but I thought it was 19k miles per household per year?

I seem to recall from an old post that it appears as "buyBAMiles.points.com" on your statement, so not sure you would get the miles for using your credit card. However, if you use Paypal visa topped up using your credit card...

Last edited by globalste; Oct 8, 09 at 1:05 pm
Old Oct 8, 09, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Hilton Hhonors, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold
No Guns here (if you dont count those attached to my shoulders....) - heres what the Sticky says:

"In addition to earning miles for flying, you can also buy miles from BA. You can currently buy up to 19,000 miles per calendar year, in 1,000 mile increments.

You can also buy miles for other members in your HHA, up to 19,000 per year each"

Thanks for the quick response Globalste - any thoughts on the value of doing it ? (assuming I can of course)
Old Oct 8, 09, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by globalste View Post
Im prepared to be shot down, but I thought it was 19k miles per household per year?

I seem to recall from an old post that it appears as "buyBAMiles.points.com" on your statement, so not sure you would get the miles for using your credit card. However, if you use Paypal visa topped up using your credit card...
I may not get the 2 miles per $ (as Chase may say its not BA spend) but I think I would still get 1 mile per $ as the US BA Visa Ts&Cs says all other purchases get 1 miles per $
Old Oct 8, 09, 1:14 pm

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
I calculate it at 1.49p per mile. IIRC anything below 1.7p per mile is worth purchasing for MFUs.

Someone like Raffles or G-BOAC have the most knowledge on it.
Old Oct 8, 09, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Ta very much for the advice - will keep an eye on it - 25% offer valid till early November

One last thing - what exchange rate did you use for your ppm calc ? I have the option to purchase it in GBP or $ (what with me being an ex pat here) - might make more sense buying with my UK CCs

Edited - I know I wouldnt get the miles per $ spend that way though as it would be with my UK Amex Plat

Last edited by Blue Box Flynn; Oct 8, 09 at 1:23 pm Reason: Updated
Old Oct 9, 09, 9:26 am
Original Poster

maybe 2.5 miles might be on offer now.....
Old Oct 9, 09, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by globalste View Post
Im prepared to be shot down, but I thought it was 19k miles per household per year? .
All members of the HHA can buy miles.
Old Oct 9, 09, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
All members of the HHA can buy miles.
Many thanks HIDDY

BBF

Search this Thread