Taxes on award tickets

Old Oct 8, 09, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Taxes on award tickets

I was thinking of converting some Amex MR points into BA miles to book flights from FRA to DME.

LH usually charges about 100 EUR for taxes on intra-european flights. Does anybody know what to expect for BA awards?
Old Oct 8, 09, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Expect to get killed. But you can do a test booking on BA.com and it will tell you exactly.
Old Oct 8, 09, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mizzou miles View Post
Expect to get killed. But you can do a test booking on BA.com and it will tell you exactly.
I did not transfer any points yet - no test booking possible with miles.

Or are the taxes the same as for normal = paid with $$$ bookings?
Old Oct 8, 09, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
FRA-DME $245 in Y $273 in CE both return.
Old Oct 8, 09, 9:12 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Tirreg View Post
I did not transfer any points yet - no test booking possible with miles.

You have to pay the full whack. I suspect that its not the best route to use miles on either, others will know this better than me though
Old Oct 8, 09, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by Tirreg View Post
Yes - they are the same
Old Oct 8, 09, 9:13 am

Programs: GGL, BA lifetime Gold, Many Hotel Sparkles
You pay the full taxes , fees and surcharges as you would do with any normal booking.

So do a paid for dummy booking, in the class of travel, you require. at the end it will list the price and a breakdown of ticket cost and taxes/fees/i know you/hey we are ba/saw you comming/raw sausage inclusive/wouldn't happen on *alliance/eek that is alot/why do i bother/time to start a seperate thread on this/fuel surcharge

You will pay the tax and fees + miles for an award booking, brace yourself.
Old Oct 8, 09, 9:38 am
Original Poster

I just did a test booking: 185 EUR

Thanks for your help...
...I think I will use my miles for another destination
Old Oct 8, 09, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Convert to a Star Alliance carrier and book the BMI flight from London - the seat is a 'proper' mid-haul 2x2 J seat rather than BA's bog-standard seat and you get a personal DVD player as well.
Old Oct 8, 09, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Gold, Starwood Gold
Slightly OT but somewhat relevant I think.

Taxes, fees & surcharges for an award booking are always higher than just buying a ticket I find.

I had looked at using miles for ABZ-AGP-ABZ in Feb next year which was quoted at 179 EUR (approx 165 quid today) yet taxes, fee's & surcharges to buy that same ticket on BA.com is 119 GBP. I have always seen this as a rip off, why 46 GBP difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can buy a ticket on BA through Terminal A that gives me same flight No's, same day for 194 GBP. Why use 15,000 miles when I can buy one for 29 GBP extra.

"Chest cleared"
Old Oct 11, 09, 6:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 1P, CO Plat, SPG Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Oilrig fella View Post
I had looked at using miles for ABZ-AGP-ABZ in Feb next year which was quoted at 179 EUR (approx 165 quid today) yet taxes, fee's & surcharges to buy that same ticket on BA.com is 119 GBP. I have always seen this as a rip off, why 46 GBP difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is actually very easy to explain (though you probably won't like the reason...). It depends on the fuel surcharge, which is based on the point-of-sale. As you are apparently a non-UK BAEC member (hence the miles price in EUR), the taxes etc. for a miles booking will be calculated with the POS as your country of membership. However buying a redemption booking the POS will be the departure city (UK). Apparently the ABZ-AGP fuel surcharge is much higher for the non-UK POS. As well the exchange rate fluctuates.
Old Nov 15, 09, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
A bit different scenario: If I book using AA miles directly from American say AA ORD-LHR to BA LHR-NBO am I still subject to all the BA taxes and fees?

When I use aa.com to book the same routing (return) on a fare ticket the taxes are $161 usd. All flight are AA flt numbers but BA metal LHR-NBO. Do the flight numbers make a difference in taxes?

When I book LHR-NBO at the BA website, this is what I get for taxes (same flights, same class): Taxes, fees, charges and surcharges for the entire journey are approximately 194.30.

What gives?

Last edited by tkelvin69; Nov 15, 09 at 2:54 pm
Old Nov 15, 09, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA Blue, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
I just booked an F 2-4-1 return from LHR-MIA, for next autumn (fall) and the taxes etc were 500!
Old Nov 16, 09, 3:11 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by botham View Post
I just booked an F 2-4-1 return from LHR-MIA, for next autumn (fall) and the taxes etc were 500!
Each ticket was 500 taxes? Or total across the 2 tix?

I remember the days when a BA (or Air Miles) redemption tix really was completely free. We went to CDG, NYC and DXB all in J and I don't recall paying any taxes or fees. But I think that was in the 1993 - 1996 period.......
Old Nov 16, 09, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Blue, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BOH View Post
Each ticket was 500 taxes? Or total across the 2 tix?

I remember the days when a BA (or Air Miles) redemption tix really was completely free. We went to CDG, NYC and DXB all in J and I don't recall paying any taxes or fees. But I think that was in the 1993 - 1996 period.......
500 was for two.

Search this Thread