Wiki Posts
Search

Taxes on award tickets

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:37 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by botham
£500 was for two.
£314.50 each for LHR-LAX in F recently. So £70 less than the sale price at the moment.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Gold, KLM Gold
Do the taxes etc vary much by destination? We were charged over £300 each for flights to the Caribbean from LGW.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by pteron
Do the taxes etc vary much by destination? We were charged over £300 each for flights to the Caribbean from LGW.
No, because the vast majority of the surcharges are due to the government UK departure tax (there is a distance element to this) and BA fuel surcharges.

The variance between what different countries and airports charge is very small in comparison to the large chunk of money subsumed by these two charges, which apply to all UK departures (except possibly some of the Western Isle airports)
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Gold, KLM Gold
Originally Posted by Jenbel
No, because the vast majority of the surcharges are due to the government UK departure tax (there is a distance element to this) and BA fuel surcharges.
So why, in this thread, do we have a variation of £500 for two in first, to nearly £700 for two in WTP?
Old Nov 16, 2009, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by pteron
So why, in this thread, do we have a variation of £500 for two in first, to nearly £700 for two in WTP?
Your £700 was also an F booking, not WTP (if you are referring to donkeyk's post) - and I'd have said at £628 it was closer to £600 than £700....

Thoughts:
- changes in APD for travel dates
- changes in fuel surcharges between travel dates
- if the flights were not to the same destination then one of flights might have fallen into a difference distance band than the other (I didn't understand it when the recent changes came out, just that it made some destinations very expensive compared with others).
- BA cocked up the calculation of the taxes
- one may include additional domestic runs (a EDI-LHR-LAX redemption pays more in taxes than a LHR-LAX redemption )

That's my suggestions anyway - any other answers on a postcard....
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:20 am

I had problem doing test booking after creating a BA account. It just puts me into "welcome" page whichever I try to do. Can anyone help me guessing how much tax/fee will be there if I book AA's United States domestic award with 25000 BA miles, and AA's US-Japan award with 50000 BA miles? AA usually charges $5-$10 for domestic award, and around $45 for US-Japan. Thanks a lot.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by bobbybrown
I had problem doing test booking after creating a BA account. It just puts me into "welcome" page whichever I try to do. Can anyone help me guessing how much tax/fee will be there if I book AA's United States domestic award with 25000 BA miles, and AA's US-Japan award with 50000 BA miles? AA usually charges $5-$10 for domestic award, and around $45 for US-Japan. Thanks a lot.
Taxes on a random LAX-NYC in February using a BA economy reward on AA came out at £3.

I couldn't get the US-NRT one to price up without going via London, at which point it all became a bit strange (it was quoting me from 96k miles and £491 to 60k miles and £700 this was in economy!). The online booking tool preferentially looks for BA options, so I would have had to spend more time than I wanted trying to find city pairs BA didn't fly between but one of the other oneworld partners did.

BTW, why wouldn't you look at CX or JL for the transpac?
Old Nov 16, 2009, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Taxes on a random LAX-NYC in February using a BA economy reward on AA came out at £3.

I couldn't get the US-NRT one to price up without going via London, at which point it all became a bit strange (it was quoting me from 96k miles and £491 to 60k miles and £700 this was in economy!). The online booking tool preferentially looks for BA options, so I would have had to spend more time than I wanted trying to find city pairs BA didn't fly between but one of the other oneworld partners did.

BTW, why wouldn't you look at CX or JL for the transpac?
Thanks a lot. It's good to hear that fees for US domestic is that cheap. Thanks for trying to fee out trans pacific, too. The reason I don't want CX or JL is because I'm living in the middle of Texas and we don't have CX and JL here. It seems combining two airliners ends up costing too much miles (90k-100k depends on travel distance) while just one airline to north Asia is still 50,000 miles. And AA's Y product is decent to me and my family especially when we're having (free) award trip
Old Feb 12, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA 3MMF EXP, UA 1MMF
I'm flying JFK-LHR in Premium Economy (or whatever they call it) using miles (75,000) and the taxes were $480 USD but on the web site, even for a full-fare PE ticket it says the taxes are half that ($230). I called back the Executive Club desk and they said it's correct. Anyone know how this can be? Incredible rip off if this is the case, and reminds me why I stick with AA.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 1:32 am

Programs: BAEC, Skywards, KLM
I paid £437.40 taxes+charges per person (x3 = £1312.20, and one was a child) for a BA GLA-LHR-DFW IAH-LHR-GLA redemption last year. Can anyone beat that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.