Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Day 1 of new seating policy, very disappointing.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Day 1 of new seating policy, very disappointing.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec
Unhappy Day 1 of new seating policy, very disappointing.

Well it's day one of the controversial seating policy. I have a club world flight to JFK booked in a couple of weeks and as I'm currently a Blue member I thought I would get on line this morning and have a look at my seating options. I'm travelling with my partner and want to be sure that we get seated together so I was contemplating forking out an additional £240 on top of the club class fare in order to ensure this.

There is no online option to view available seating or to complete pre-assigned seating, instead you are asked to telephone reservations. Upon telephoning reservations I am informed that they are busy and that I should go on line or call back later. This has been the standard message all morning.

I'm now having second thoughts about pre-assigning my seats. In fact I'm having second thoughts about choosing BA for this trip given the seating hassle and strike threat which appears to be looming.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:35 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Oh dear - it's the usual with these things - someone in the organisation has an idea, publicises it raves on - forgets to tell IT to make the changes
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:45 am

If you want to see what seats are available get a free 5-day subscription at: www.expertflyer.com - that'll show all available seats.

Then when you get through tell them what seats you want. Also we'd all be very interested if you ask for an upper-deck seat (if flying a 747) and what the response is! Apparently they're supposed to be reserved for full fare and status pax.

Just persist with the phones, they're generally very busy this time of morning with it being a peak time in travel.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:48 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Motors
If you want to see what seats are available get a free 5-day subscription at: www.expertflyer.com - that'll show all available seats.

Expertflyer "times out" at T-24!
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:03 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OPebble
True, but irrelevant. The OP's flight is not for a couple of weeks.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:04 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by OPebble
He's flying in 'a couple of weeks'. At T-24, you'll have the BA map and be able to choose a seat for free
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You do not understand the new BA seating policy. I don't necessarily blame you because of the way BA has publicised this, but you don't understand it.

YOU AND YOUR PARTNER ARE ALREADY SEATED TOGETHER. You are on the same booking, I assume, so the BA computer will give you 2 adjacent seats automatically in 95% of cases.

The only reason to even contemplate paying the £240 would if you wanted a window pair, but for a short flight like this I wouldn't even bother paying that.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Also having the same issue with the call centre trying to change a fully flex booking - "we're very busy try later or online" line disconnects. Pathetic. I would change it online but its greyed out! Grrrr.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Motors
No! expertflyer should not have to repair BA's inadequacies.
Originally Posted by Raffles
YOU AND YOUR PARTNER ARE ALREADY SEATED TOGETHER. You are on the same booking, I assume, so the BA computer will give you 2 adjacent seats automatically in 95% of cases.

The only reason to even contemplate paying the £240 would if you wanted a window pair, but for a short flight like this I wouldn't even bother paying that.
Exactly.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Roger
No! expertflyer should not have to repair BA's inadequacies.Exactly.
It certainly shouldn't. But till they get in gear and open up the seating plan to accepting payment (which should be a two week job at most) EF is the best option now.

Of course, thinking about this thread I think its quite convenient that someone posts a complaint in hours of the new policy. Call me cynical, but other carriers like bashing BA - does the op work for Virgin?!
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Can't be bothered .... people prefer to believe press than facts

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Oct 7, 2009 at 4:02 am
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
I'm sorry it's disappointing news for you this morning and I hope you're soon able to go through. But there is no strike threat so please don't be scaremongering.
He is only repeating what appears in some of todays newspapers and, indeed, in a note from Goldman Sachs I received this morning which was even calculating the potential costs to BA of a strike or strike threat in the coming months.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Then there was the union person interviewed on the radio who talked about 'consulting their members' on industrial inaction. (He called it action.)

Sorry, my eyes glazed over when he started 'quite frankly ...'. Memories of Fred Kite ...
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:25 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
But there is no strike threat so please don't be scaremongering.
Really? Please don't blame the OP without knowledge of the facts. Time to read today's newspapers perhaps...

Or perhaps a quick online search will reveal articles like:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20091007...n-6323e80.html

Analysts are already calculating further potential costs to BA from strikes and adjusting expectations accordingly.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Can't be bothered .... people prefer to believe press than facts

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Oct 7, 2009 at 4:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.