Europe economy seating

Old Oct 6, 09, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hilton Diamond
Europe economy seating

Can someone kindly confirm the info in the sticky that the front rows in European economy open up for selection at T-3 days?

Thanks.
Old Oct 6, 09, 11:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 1P, CO Plat, SPG Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
As in this part of the Ultimate Guide?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/8172619-post6.html

At T-3 days, the entire cabin will open for pre-reservation to those who are eligible which is when BA pre-seat infants, special needs passengers, etc. At this point, you can try to move to the prized ‘first two seats on the left behind the curtain.
Old Oct 7, 09, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Exactly, is this still the case since it was apparently posted in 2007?
I thought, but I'm probably mistaken, that I was able to do this much earlier (like T-7 or 10 days) on a recent flight to MAD.
Old Oct 7, 09, 2:42 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Purdey View Post
Exactly, is this still the case since it was apparently posted in 2007?
I thought, but I'm probably mistaken, that I was able to do this much earlier (like T-7 or 10 days) on a recent flight to MAD.
Hasn't changed, except the prized 2 seats A & C behind the curtain have gone back to being just 2 seats after a brief period as standard 3 ET seats.
Old Oct 7, 09, 5:24 am
Original Poster

OK, thanks!
The 2 seats is what I'm after....
Old Oct 7, 09, 5:33 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
The two "prized" seats aren't necessarily as "prized" as you might think. Quite often we have been caught out by the fact that the curtain between CE and economy is moved forward, reducing the number of CE rows. This has the effect of moving the two prized seats a row forward, but it doesn't move you with them, thus although you book A&C thinking you have the prized seats you actually end up in the row behind, with someone seating in seat B between you. It has happened so often to us that we have stopped complaining about it and now book C and D. Obviously BA doesn't mind upsetting two Gold card holders on a regular basis.
Old Oct 7, 09, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
I did this once and got upgraded to CE when the curtain got pushed back.

I have also done it and got the seat I expected (ie behind the curtain) and to be honest found it a bit claustraphobic with a curtain hanging six inches in front of my face!

Unless you are of wide girth I'd preselect an exit row instead.
Old Oct 7, 09, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Do the exit row seats, and the row in front and behind, recline?
I've avoided them for years since they tend not to recline at all - I'm not talking specifically about BA here.
Old Oct 7, 09, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Dunno - do people recline their seats on short-haul flights? I never do. The BA ET seats generally don't need to be reclined to be comfy.
Old Oct 7, 09, 10:38 am

Flew ET with BA last week. Seats only became available for booking at T-24. However my flight cascaded with a TATL so that opened up for me at T-30 as it was booked on the same reference number.
Old Oct 10, 09, 11:54 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
They did it to us again yesterday! LGW-JER. When we checked in and printed our boarding passes we had the two seats A and C behind the curtain. When we boarded they had moved the curtain forward so we had someone in seat B, thus splitting us up.

Back to sitting across the aisle from each other....
Old Oct 10, 09, 11:57 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by tuff View Post
They did it to us again yesterday! LGW-JER. When we checked in and printed our boarding passes we had the two seats A and C behind the curtain. When we boarded they had moved the curtain forward so we had someone in seat B, thus splitting us up.

Back to sitting across the aisle from each other....
The, I thought, well know trick is to check in on-line but do NOT print your BPs. Save that until the airport at a checkin machine, where you will have the ability to change seats if the curtain has moved and you are now down by the rear galley.

Search this Thread