Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

1st CW flight, limted seat choice, advice sought

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2009, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Flying in BA CW this week for first time. Me and Mrs, to west coast of US.

747 52J, upper deck showing no two seats together.

Lower deck showing 20AB or 20JK available. 17-20 DEFG all available (except bassinet on 20 which is still showing blocked).

Question is: What are the best seats for a couple? I am thinking 20 EF if the bassinet opens up.

All advice welcome.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 4:44 am
Suspended

how often do people post this question ? it has been discussed so many times, there is tons and tons of info in the sticky, down stairs is best for couples and try to grab the rear ones that means you dont have to climb over people to get out to use the loo
Old Oct 5, 2009, 4:51 am
Original Poster

I have read the stickies extensively.

I was looking for a "live" opinion, not trying to annoy people.

Isn't the whole point of a forum like this to seek advice and opinion from fellow travellers? Just asking.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by williamd
I have read the stickies extensively.

I was looking for a "live" opinion, not trying to annoy people.

Isn't the whole point of a forum like this to seek advice and opinion from fellow travellers? Just asking.
Maybe, but as has been said this subject has been done to death. There are numerous threads about which are best seats for a couple if you do a search of this forum.

And of course one person's opinion will differ from another's, such is life.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:07 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue

Lower deck showing 20AB or 20JK available. 17-20 DEFG all available (except bassinet on 20 which is still showing blocked).

Question is: What are the best seats for a couple? I am thinking 20 EF if the bassinet opens up.

All advice welcome.
I'd advise trying both a back to back window/ aisle and then two middle seats if I were you, you can then make up your own mind for your next trip! You'll also get two different experiences. I had the same worry on my first CW trip, there really is little difference in the seats bar the obvious ones stated elsewhere, so don't worry, pick what you think sounds good and you wont be disappointed

The middle seats will be better for the night flight (if there is one). The back row will give you step free access to the aisle, with the peril of there being a baby behind you in WT/ WT+ (depending on config)
Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I've said before, the window/aisle pairs are perfect for a couple as you can look one another in the eye. If you need to handhold however, 20EF would be the best option.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Ideally I think I would prefer window/ailse but as the only choice appears to be row 20 I am not so sure, being the last row before Y.

Similarly 20EF would appear to be ideal as no legs to climb over.

BTW, handholding is not essential (even though it is our 22nd anniversary).
Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:16 am

Programs: BA
Takes us back to the debate of taking your partner out for dinner vs taking your partner to see a movie or show.

Which do you prefer ? If dinner then take a window/aisle combination and chat over dinner. If it's to a movie or show then take the middle pair and hold hands watching a movie while nibbling nuts from the CW kitchen.

Now, if they put a fresh popcorn maker on board..........
Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malkie
Takes us back to the debate of taking your partner out for dinner vs taking your partner to see a movie or show.

Which do you prefer ? If dinner then take a window/aisle combination and chat over dinner. If it's to a movie or show then take the middle pair and hold hands watching a movie while nibbling nuts from the CW kitchen.

Now, if they put a fresh popcorn maker on board..........
Nibbling nuts? Is that allowed in CW?
Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:43 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
.....Isn't the whole point of a forum like this to seek advice and opinion from fellow travellers?
You would certainly think so alright ^

But then again this is the BA board
Old Oct 5, 2009, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kered
You would certainly think so alright ^

But then again this is the BA board
BA = Bored Again? Bad Attitude? Bad A$$? Bereft of Advice?
Old Oct 5, 2009, 6:58 am

All advice welcome.
Are you getting the seat map from Expert Flyer or are you doing this via MMB ? What day is your actual flight ? Are you able to select seats at the moment or do you have to wait till T-24?
Old Oct 5, 2009, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Load seems weirdly high given the state of the nation at present.

Select some seats now - I'd take a window / aisle pair personally. When check-in opens, go back in and see if any better seats have opened up. If not, do NOT complete online check-in as this locks your seat choice.

Wait until you get to Heathrow to check-in at the kiosk. It is possible that some pax on flexible tickets will have moved their flight at the last minute. You would then be able to change seats at the kiosk before printing your boarding pass. If nothing better has come up, you will have still got the seats you originally selected.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hammythehammer
Are you getting the seat map from Expert Flyer or are you doing this via MMB ? What day is your actual flight ? Are you able to select seats at the moment or do you have to wait till T-24?
Flying Wednesday. Seatmap from Expert Flyer. Can't check in until tomorrow however not quite T-24 as I have a connection which effectively means I can check in T-29.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 7:17 am

Flying Wednesday. Seatmap from Expert Flyer. Can't check in until tomorrow however not quite T-24 as I have a connection which effectively means I can check in T-29.
take notice of all of Raffles' advice above it's spot on ...certainly go back in immediately after T-24 as well.
with regard to seat maps on EF, I have certainly seen it where the seat map must have included all the seats allocated already ie your seats are already showing as being reserved on EF or at the moment that's how the cabin seating looks with everyone who is booked in CW. (hope that makes sense).
You may get a pleasant surprise when you go in at T-29 ...but still follow Raffles' advice .
of course please report back on how you get on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.