Wiki Posts
Search

Was I stupid? (loaded question)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2009, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA
Was I stupid? (loaded question)

I recently booked a flight thru ba.com ORD-LHR-MAN return. At the time WT+ was shown as a $250.00 off RT from US-LHR. I signed in onto the executive club portion and used the "book and upgrade" to book my tickets. I used cash to pay for ticket and MFU WT+ to CW. It seemed to give me a full WT+ fare in order to allow upgrade. I called BA reservations and was told that discount "Red D" fares are not eligible for MFU. I thought I read on here on the BA guide that they are eligible. If they are how do I book a discount fare and check to see if MFU is available?

Sorry...still quite a newbie!
Old Oct 2, 2009, 3:41 pm

a trawl through...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/8172633-post14.html

and

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ml#post7883198

may help ...but hopefully someone will confirm if they've done this recently.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL DM
I've always been under the impression that the "Red D" fares CAN'T be upgraded.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 4:36 pm
fomerly CoachBoy

Programs: United Premier Platinum, British Airways Silver
"Red D" fares in WTP can be MFU'd, unfortunately Jacksonville (US BAEC Call Center) doesn't know this. Not sure if there's an easy way to do it. I was forced to pay fees, and then PM'd Nicci, who set the US call center right. I'm thankful to her for doing it, but shouldn't a clear message be sent by HQ?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replys. I did read those threads and back in 2008 Lyndsay from BA exec club confirmed the ability to upgrade "D" discount WT+ fares, but BA call center said that is not currently the case.

Is there a designated BA Exec Club member on the board I could PM about this?

Is this is true, I got totally nailed for a full WT+ fare on my recent trip. Ahhh live and learn.

Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:40 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by WindyCityRn

Is there a designated BA Exec Club member on the board I could PM about this?

Thanks!
Yes Nicci : Nickname BA Executive Club
Old Oct 11, 2009, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Found this in rules on BA.

Miles for Upgrade

Miles for Upgrade bookings can only be made online at ba.com or direct with British Airways. An existing booking can be upgraded up until check in online at ba.com or by contacting your local service centre or sales office. A Miles for Upgrade cannot be booked at airport ticket desks. The upgrade is a single cabin upgrade from Euro Traveller to Club Europe, World Traveller to World Traveller Plus (where fitted on the aircraft), World Traveller to Club World (where World Traveller Plus is not fitted on the aircraft), World Traveller Plus to Club World, Club World to First.

Miles for Upgrade is permitted on eligible British Airways published fares only (Fare classes are: J, C, D, R, I, W, E, T, Y, B, H) but is not permitted on bookings made with a travel agent. Miles for Upgrade is not permitted where flights are sold as part of a package holiday or where flights and ground arrangements, such as prepaid hotels, cars, transfers and experiences, are booked and paid for in the same transaction. Flights booked and paid for separately from any ground arrangements remain eligible for Miles for Upgrade. Miles for Upgrade can only be applied to bookings which are made in the member's Executive Club membership country.
BA and franchise operated flights only. Partner and codeshare flights excluded.

Tier Points and BA Miles will be awarded according to the commercial ticket purchased.

A Miles for Upgrade cannot be used in conjunction with any bookings that have already been subject to an upgrade (Miles for Upgrade or Gold Upgrade for Two) or any other promotions/offers.

If upgrading an existing booking where a paper ticket has already been issued, you will need to send in your paper tickets 21 days in advance of travel for your tickets to be re-issued. If you hold an e-ticket, this will take 24 hours.

When a Member makes a Miles for Upgrade booking on behalf of themselves or anyone else, Members shall be responsible for paying any applicable charges such as booking and service fees or credit card fees.
Standard redemption rules apply.

The fare conditions for the original ticket purchased will apply, in addition to following rules specific to the Miles for Upgrade:
Changes to the date or time of an Upgrade flight must be made at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the relevant flight.
Where changes are made to the date and time of an Upgrade 24 hours or more before the scheduled departure of the first flight in the Award travel itinerary and the redemption class for the Upgrade is not available on the amended flight(s) the standard redemption charge will be levied for the re–crediting of Mileage to the Member’s account.

Where changes are made to the date and time of the Upgrade within 24 hours of the scheduled departure of the first flight in the Award travel itinerary or after the scheduled departure of the first flight in the Award travel itinerary and the redemption class for the Upgrade is not available for the amended flight(s) Mileage will not be re-credited to the Member’s account.

If cancelling a Miles for Upgrade booking, the whole journey must be cancelled.

Upon the cancellations of a Miles for Upgrade booking 24 hours or more before departure of the first leg in the Award travel itinerary the standard redemption charge will be levied and all Mileage will be re-credited to the Member's account and taxes will be refunded.
Upon the cancellations of a Miles for Upgrade booking less than 24 hours before departure of the first leg in the Award travel itinerary Mileage in respect of the Upgrade will not be re-credited to the Member.
Standard booking lead times apply, Members are responsible for paying additional taxes, fees, charges and surcharges.
Where a member is part of a Household Account, a member can only make a Miles for Upgrade booking for another member of the Household Account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.