Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Airport transportation to Rio de Janeiro

Airport transportation to Rio de Janeiro

Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Enigma
For to/from GIG I'd assume http://www.realautoonibus.com.br/Sit...115236-71.html is a better option. Bus 2018 for R$12 each way. Take note that it doesn't run late.
Thanks! Do you think a hotel (like the JW Marriott for example) would store my luggage if I were to eat lunch there?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Thanks! Do you think a hotel (like the JW Marriott for example) would store my luggage if I were to eat lunch there?
You shouldn't expect it, but you never know.

I'm not entirely sure but I thought GIG had luggage storage (staffed, not lockers) so I'd be exploring that option. You might need to call the airport.

I'm guessing early checkin for your later flight is not a possibility?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:14 pm

I'm not entirely sure but I thought GIG had luggage storage (staffed, not lockers)
GIG has both!
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:43 am

@SkyTeam777--
Look for the signs that say Guarda Volumes. The baggage storage at GIG is located on the 2nd level, at the end of the corridor that connects terminal 1 to terminal 2.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
@SkyTeam777--
Look for the signs that say Guarda Volumes. The baggage storage at GIG is located on the 2nd level, at the end of the corridor that connects terminal 1 to terminal 2.
Thanks, I have a small carryon. Just hope it is safe!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by C010T3
GIG has both!
where are the lockers?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by boboqui
where are the lockers?
In T1.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:38 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
For to/from GIG I'd assume http://www.realautoonibus.com.br/Sit...115236-71.html is a better option. Bus 2018 for R$12 each way. Take note that it doesn't run late.
I'm planning to arrive at Rio on may 23 (wednesday), my flight lands at 4:50am. So I guess I'll be going out of airport between 5:30am and 6am. I've read the bus starts at 5:30am so that's fine. My hotel is in Av. Atlantica 1470 Copacabana and the bus route goes all Av. Atlantica from Prca. Isabel to Joaquin Nabuco, so it should stop on my hotel block or so I understand. Now the question is, is it recommendable (and safe) to take the bus at that time? Sunrise is at 6:22am. I'll be walking from the corner to the hotel, I guess, with just one baggage (2 people). I guess it's ok, but it's good to ask the experts... (how long will be the bus ride? let's suppose I'll take it at 6am, at what time I'm supposed to arrive at Copa?)

Or do you recommend other transfer? I was checking taxi rates and it's like US$85 for 2 people, or maybe I checked the wrong page

Thanks
Old Apr 18, 2012, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Villavic
I'm planning to arrive at Rio on may 23 (wednesday), my flight lands at 4:50am. So I guess I'll be going out of airport between 5:30am and 6am. I've read the bus starts at 5:30am so that's fine. My hotel is in Av. Atlantica 1470 Copacabana and the bus route goes all Av. Atlantica from Prca. Isabel to Joaquin Nabuco, so it should stop on my hotel block or so I understand. Now the question is, is it recommendable (and safe) to take the bus at that time? Sunrise is at 6:22am. I'll be walking from the corner to the hotel, I guess, with just one baggage (2 people). I guess it's ok, but it's good to ask the experts... (how long will be the bus ride? let's suppose I'll take it at 6am, at what time I'm supposed to arrive at Copa?)

Or do you recommend other transfer? I was checking taxi rates and it's like US$85 for 2 people, or maybe I checked the wrong page

Thanks
Until 10AM Av. Atlntica is dedicated to downtown traffic. That's why your bus will take Rua Barata Ribeiro instead. You will have to walk two blocks to Av. Atlntica. The bus ride shall take ca. 40 minutes. Don't worry about the time or darkness.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:17 am

That is probably the price for the pre-paid taxi, which you will be solicited for as you go through the international terminal to get your baggage, and which you can pay by credit card. A regular yellow taxi from outside the terminal should be about 1/2 of that to Copacabana. But, as stated above, the Real bus is a good option. Have reais (small bills, under R$20, change is often a problem in Brazil for larger bills) ready for both. I suspect you'll be out of passport control/baggage claim/customs much closer to 6, or even well after depending on how many planes land at about the same time and how fast you can get yourself off the plane and into the (single) line. By the time the bus gets near your hotel, the streets in Copacabana should be bustling with people on their way to work.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 2:14 pm

I suspect you'll be out of passport control/baggage claim/customs much closer to 6, or even well after depending on how many planes land at about the same time and how fast you can get yourself off the plane and into the (single) line.
Agreed. I arrived about 6am and the queues were very decent. Don't be fooled - there's a Brazil line (long) and an international line (shorter) so make sure you go to the right one! It won't be obvious.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 3:58 pm

there's a Brazil line (long) and an international line (shorter)
Not so long ago, it was the other way around. :-) Now it's the Brazilians who can afford to go to Miami to go shopping and the gringos who are finding Brazil very expensive.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:17 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Now it's the Brazilians who can afford to go to Miami to go shopping and the gringos who are finding Brazil very expensive.
not only gringos... also the Incas
But it's a beautiful country anyway.

Thanks everybody for the info.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Recent experience with airport bus

I just took the bus from GIG to the city (R$12 to Ipanema) on Monday morning and back to the airport on Thursday afternoon. I think posters here are vastly underestimating the time it will take.

In both cases, it took me about 2.5 hours. The entire port area is a massive construction zone, with streets closed off and traffic at a standstill. On the way down, it took probably an hour to go from the big bus station in the Zona Norte to Candelaria. On the way back, it was about the same time to get from Santos Dumont to Candelaria. Also, on Thursday afternoon the traffic on the highway to the airport was jam-packed from Sao Cristovao to almost the end of the journey.

If you take the bus, just be aware to leave yourself plenty of extra time to make sure you don't miss your flight!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro

Thanks
If you are an obvious looking gringo, I would not walk in the dark in that area. Better safe than sorry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.