Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Sao Paolo Beach Resorts?

Sao Paolo Beach Resorts?

Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Sao Paolo Beach Resorts?

I will be traveling to Sao Paolo in Dec after Christmas with my adult family. I would like to spend the 5 days there on a beach. My choice is to continue on to Rio or to find a beach resort nearby. Does anyone know of nice resorts near this huge city? Perhaps you could direct me to a local travel agent that has a good feel of the area. However, if this is going to be a problem, I could just get tickets to Rio and stay there for the duration of the week. Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 1:40 pm

I drove from Sao Paulo to Rio along the coast 2 years ago - the beach that most impressed me was Maresias and there were lots of smaller beaches nearby. See www.praiademaresias.com.br
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:15 pm

Programs: LH SEN
There are very nice beaches on the Northern coast of Sao Paulo state; almost anything north of Bertioga until Ubatuba should be good (forget Sao Sebastiao proper and everything in or nearby Caraguatatuba).
But keep in mind that Summer is the rainy season in the South and Southeast Brazil. It's very normal to have rain every day for weeks in a row. It also has to do with the fact that this entire area is on or just beside mountains covered with rain forest (or with what is left of it); a lot of moisture simply gets stuck there and you don't see the sun as often as you would like
OTOH, Ilhabela - an island off-shore reachable by ferry out of Sao Sebastiao - is pretty much moisture-free and gets way more sun than the mainland. I can't count how many times I've been sitting in the sun, on the beach in Ilhabela, just watching the dark clouds and rain over the mainland.

In case you are interested:
http://www.ilhabela.com.br/hospedagem/hoteis.htm

the best hotels are Itapemar, Maison Joly and Mercedes.

Last edited by MariaSF; Jun 6, 2007 at 2:43 pm
Old Jun 6, 2007, 1:44 pm

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
I agree, Ilhabela is probably your best shot there. If you feel like driving a bit more, you can also try Parati, in the state of Rio.

Whatever you choose, plan on booking early. Things get very busy during that time of the year.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
As an alternative, I was thinking of staying one day in Sao Paulo at the Renaissance and taking the early GOL flight to Rio and spending the rest of the weekend there. GOL has relatively inexpensive flights to RIO but is it worth it to spend only one day in Sao Paulo? Or should I just invest my four days in RIO? The airline schedule is not favorable to me, since I will arrive in GRU at 8AM, and have to wait until 3 PM for the connection to GIG. Perhaps I should just spend the night and go the next morning? BTW, I do appreciate all the input, since this is the first time I will be venturing to SA, and I am very excited

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.