Reload this Page >

Unusual Brazil Visa Questions

Old Sep 21, 06, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM

Last month, I obtained a five year visa from the Consulate of Brazil in Chicago, for the purpose of going to the Brazilian side of the Iguazu Falls. I even had a reservation at the Hotel das Cataratas in Brazil. Unfortunately, for the two days I was in the area, due to some economic issues Argentina and Brazil are having, Brazilian protestors blocked the bridge between the two countries, and I was unable to get into Brazil.

As I understand it, in order for the visa to be effective, the passport containing the visa has to be stamped within 90 days of it being issued. Since I was unable to get into the country, I couldn't get the passport stamped.

My questions are these: Do I have a valid visa? If I were to go to Brazil again, without getting a new visa, would the authorities in Brazil check to see if the visa had been validated? If I were to say that I went to Iguazu, but they didn't stamp the passport, would that be believable? Alternatively, if I were to go to the Brazilian Consulate in Chicago and told my story, could they (or would they) stamp the passport to make it valid? (Yes, I'm cheap - for reasons I won't get into here, for the second year in a row, I have paid $100 to get a visa that I was not able to use. )
Old Sep 22, 06, 4:44 pm

I believe that they're very strict about this. An acquaintance of mine got his visa and entered Brazil within the 90 days, but received an almost illegible entry stamp. The next time he tried to enter the country, the immigration agent said that he had not entered within the required 90 days and was going to deny him entry. After thumbing through his passport several times he finally found the entry stamp from the previous trip (apparently it was almost illegible and overlapped a stamp from another country) and convinced the agent that his visa was in fact valid.
Old Sep 22, 06, 4:58 pm

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Last month, I obtained a five year visa from the Consulate of Brazil in Chicago, for the purpose of going to the Brazilian side of the Iguazu Falls. I even had a reservation at the Hotel das Cataratas in Brazil. Unfortunately, for the two days I was in the area, due to some economic issues Argentina and Brazil are having, Brazilian protestors blocked the bridge between the two countries, and I was unable to get into Brazil.

As I understand it, in order for the visa to be effective, the passport containing the visa has to be stamped within 90 days of it being issued. Since I was unable to get into the country, I couldn't get the passport stamped.

My questions are these: Do I have a valid visa? If I were to go to Brazil again, without getting a new visa, would the authorities in Brazil check to see if the visa had been validated? If I were to say that I went to Iguazu, but they didn't stamp the passport, would that be believable? Alternatively, if I were to go to the Brazilian Consulate in Chicago and told my story, could they (or would they) stamp the passport to make it valid? (Yes, I'm cheap - for reasons I won't get into here, for the second year in a row, I have paid $100 to get a visa that I was not able to use. )
At the commercial airport points of entry into Brazil, they are quite strict with American visa validity items, including validity being conditional upon entry within 90 days of issuance. Everything else that you mentioned with regards to the visa is quite a gamble, but what's the worst that can happen from asking?
Old Sep 24, 06, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I've been to Iguassu 3 times and each time made sure I got an (expensive) Brazil visa.

Every time I'd meet tourists who were on day tours to the Brazil side whose guide had slipped border guards a few bucks or whatever to take them across for the day.
Old Sep 24, 06, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Does anybody have any knowledge as to whether the Consulate would stamp my passport or even whether they could? I know an embassey is just like being on the soil of a country - is the same true for the Consulate?
Old Sep 27, 06, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat; UA.
The visa is not valid if it is not used for entry within 90 days of its issuance but it seems that sometimes persons can be admitted to Brazil even if such use is not apparent.

I received a 5 year visa and used it within 90 days; however for some reason the officials in Brazil did not stamp my passport during that trip. The next time I went to Brazil I was worried that this might cause some problems, so I took with me a hotel receipt to prove that I had been in Brazil during the 90 day period. The AA gate agent looked at my passport and said: “You didn’t use the visa as required”. I told her I had and showed her the hotel receipt. She said: “I don’t know if we can let you fly” and then decided to call the consulate. No one at the consulate could answer her questions; she gave me a boarding pass. I was worried that I might be sent back from Brazil, but the passport control officer let me enter – and stamped my passport.

With my passport stamped to prove that I had been able to enter Brazil, I didn’t think I would have any trouble using the visa. I made another trip without difficulty. Then last January a gate agent said: “You did not enter Brazil within 90 days – you cannot get on the plane”. I explained the situation and she left to talk to her supervisor. She was gone so long I thought I would miss the plane. She then told me that in such situations Brazil often admits the passenger to the country but then fines the airline – she even said that AA had been required to pay a fine the last time they had flown me to Brazil. But then she gave me a boarding pass and off I went.

Before my next trip to Brazil I applied for a new visa. The woman at the consulate asked me why and I explained; she said there was nothing they could do to fix the old visa – I would have to get a new one.

If you want to visit Brazil I suggest that you apply for a new visa. If you try to use the old one you may get in – or you may not be allowed to get on the plane.
Old Oct 13, 06, 12:13 pm

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Does anybody have any knowledge as to whether the Consulate would stamp my passport or even whether they could? I know an embassey is just like being on the soil of a country - is the same true for the Consulate?
Embassies and consulates are basically covered under the same diplomatic umbrella.

Regardless, going to a Brazilian embassy or consulate to get a stamp indicating "entry" into Brazil won't work. Going to the embassy or consulate for a new visa is the thing to do that will work.
Old Oct 13, 06, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Embassies and consulates are basically covered under the same diplomatic umbrella.

Regardless, going to a Brazilian embassy or consulate to get a stamp indicating "entry" into Brazil won't work. Going to the embassy or consulate for a new visa is the thing to do that will work.
Just as I assumed, however, I already have a Visa. It was Brazilians who prevented me from getting into Brazil to get it validated, so I thought maybe they would take pity on me. Maybe they'll just give me my $100 back instead.

Search this Thread