Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Recommend any tours in Rio de Janeiro??

Old Jul 20, 06, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Only loyal to WN or Best Price/ Route

I am going to have one day in Rio and don't want to have worry about the hassle of figuring out safety concerns so would just like a day tour (I have from morning until about 8PM available) to see the highlights.

Anyone recommend anyone?

Thanks!
Old Jul 20, 06, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Hello JZ,

What I did was to use the hotel's driver to give me a tour -- I think he charged $15 per hour (in 2002) which worked out to be a just tad more than the Grayline tour and he didn't have to stop at all these hotels to pick up tourists. And if you're sharing the expense -- even better!

We used the same driver about five hours a day for four days. It was wonderful!

David

p.s. if anyone can think of daytrips away from Rio I will be there in two weeks. Your help with help the OP and me! Thanks again.
Old Jul 21, 06, 2:23 am

Programs: AAPlt 1MM, HHDmd, MBvPLT/LTG, PCAmb
I was staying at the Intercontinental New Year's 2002. Arranged a full day city tour with the hotel. They contracted with this company:

http://www.exotictours.com.br/

Had an awesome guide and for next to nothing had a guide and a driver and really packed in the day. After that, I just dealt directly with Rejane who runs this operation. Did a favela tour and a samba school visit with them - both were also great.

We also wanted to do a daytrip out of Rio, and our guide suggested a drive south along the coast for a visit to the Sitio Roberto Burle Marx (Burle Marx is the well known modernist landscape architect).
http://www.maria-brazil.org/sitio_ro...burle_marx.htm

It was a great suggestion - between this place which is really cool and the ocean-beach view down the coast, it was exactly what we wanted. You need a reservation for the Sitio -- our guide took care of all that, but there is also info on the web to do it yourself.
Old Jul 21, 06, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. Anyone else?

Either way, I will post back on what I end up doing.
Old Jul 29, 06, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Here's what I recommend that you do if you have the full day in Rio. Forget about hiring a guide, you can do Rio on your own. A word on safety. Like any big city, Rio is not crime free. So long as you take precautions (i.e., you keep the valuables locked in the hotel, you don't accept "free" drinks from strangers or invite them to your room), you'll be fine. I've seen 60 plus year old American ladies, fanny packs and all, strolling on Ipanema Beach and they're fine. And another thing, what we foreigners think of Rio are the districts of Copacabana, Ipanema and, to a lesser extent, Leblon.

Start your day by walking the length of the beach from Copacabana to the end of Ipanema where Leblon starts. If you're thirsty, you can buy icy cold beer, water or real coconut juice from street vendors. If you really want to treat yourself, go to Bar Garota de Ipanema on Rua Vinicius de Moraes, just off Ipanema beach, and have a drink there. The legend is this is the place Antonio Carlos Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes penned the lyrics to the now famous song, Girl from Ipanema. If you're hungry, you can continue to walking down Rua Vinicius de Moraes until you reach Churrascaria Porcao. Stay away from caipirinhas or you'll waste the rest of your day. Consider yourself warned. Also, stay away from the world headquarters of H. Stern, the jewelry store you find in every 5-star hotel lobby, unless you have a lot of money to burn. Again, consider yourself warned.

After lunch, you can continue walking along Ipanema beach, get a half- to full-hour massage on the beach and just soak in the view or take a taxi to Velho Cosme neighborhood where you board the cog train to Corcovado where the statue of Christ the Redeemer stands. Sit on the right side (platform side) of the train for a breathtaking view of the beaches of Rio as you clear the Tijuca forests.

After Corcovado, take a taxi to where you can board the cable car to Sugarloaf Mountain (Pao de Azucar). You want to watch the sunset from the peak of Sugarloaf Mountain.

If you're hungry again, return to Ipanema Beach, where you will find a variety of restaurants.
Old Jul 29, 06, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Just don't wear your good shoes anywhere near the beach, as there are lots of scams involving with guys throwing crap on them.

Personally, I always take a "public" bus tour. I jump on any bus, and ride it to the end of the line. If it looks interesting, jump off. Explore, and then jump back on. Cost me about 75 cents.
Old Jul 31, 06, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot everyone - I will think about this week and post back how it went.
Old Aug 19, 06, 7:16 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
One can now get a workout in while seeing the sights.

Rio now has a bus bike, where the seats have been removed and 15 stationary bikes have been installed. People workout while the bus puts around the city.

50 minute session is $23

www.busbike.com.br

--
Old Aug 19, 06, 7:31 pm

Smile Rio Hiking

I visited Rio during November 2005 and used the services of Rio Hiking for an unforgettable hike to the top of Tijuca Peak. In addition, we took several other tours including one to Petropolis. Both Gabriel and Bruno spoke English and were excellent guides.

Seeing Rio from Tijuca Peak (after a semi-challenging hike) was easily the best memory I have of my trip to Brazil.

Their website is at:

http://www.riohiking.com.br

Have a great trip.
Old Aug 23, 06, 4:55 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
I just got back from Rio and had two amazing tours:

brazilexpeditions.com did a great half day tour including Cristo, Tijuca Forest and St. Teresa.

but more importantly, bealocal.com gives an amazing tour of the Rocinha Favela and it was truly a life changing experience. definitely check it out
Old Aug 24, 06, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot. Trip was pushed back to next month, so I will now be able to take advantage of some of your suggestions!
Old Aug 30, 06, 12:24 pm

tour in rio

tujuco raub forest. ask for tour guide gerado.
Old Sep 3, 06, 2:47 am

Programs: BA silver
as you only have one day I think it would be better to hire a guide and car. Yes you can DIY but it would be too time-consuming. The view from the top of Corcovado( Christ the Redeemer) is breathtaking but don't waste your time if it is cloudy.
Rio IS the beach- you have to give yourself at least an hour there watching the world go by. Locals seem to live on the beach.
Old Sep 15, 06, 3:24 pm

I don't know much about Brasil. I know there is the beach, sugar mountain, and Christ the reedemer. Is there any places where it's practical to see wildlife without spending a lot of money to journey far outside the city. I know the forest has sloths and moneys and such. Wondering if you guys managed to see any of this?
Old Apr 14, 08, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
Originally Posted by Peregrine415 View Post

After lunch, you can continue walking along Ipanema beach, get a half- to full-hour massage on the beach and just soak in the view or take a taxi to Velho Cosme neighborhood where you board the cog train to Corcovado where the statue of Christ the Redeemer stands. Sit on the right side (platform side) of the train for a breathtaking view of the beaches of Rio as you clear the Tijuca forests.

After Corcovado, take a taxi to where you can board the cable car to Sugarloaf Mountain (Pao de Azucar). You want to watch the sunset from the peak of Sugarloaf Mountain.

If you're hungry again, return to Ipanema Beach, where you will find a variety of restaurants.
THANKS! Where do you go to get a massage on the beach and is it safe? Also, Im at the Intercontinental and their brochure has tours mostly about $75++ and they are around 4 hours. What is the best way to go to Corcovado and Sugar Loaf without paying an arm and a leg...I may just hire the hotel driver, but dont want to pay so much.

Last edited by SkyTeam777; Apr 15, 08 at 5:36 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: