Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Brazil - am I getting the best from my trip?

Old Oct 15, 05, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver

I have just managed to get an award ticket on LH (in F- ) down to Argentina and returning via Brazil. I have one week in Brazil, arriving on Christmas day - apart from Rio I am fascinated by the architecture of Brasilia and also would like to see the stunning theatre in Manaus, with a Varig airpass I could visit all three for not a lot of money - but am I seeing the best of Brazil? Any thoughts? are there better places to see/go?
Old Oct 15, 05, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HGP
Make sure you're in Rio for New Year's Eve (Reveillon) which is a definite "must do" for a couple of days at then of the trip. The main problem will be getting reasonable accommodation as many hotels put up prices or have min. stay packages. Unfortunately NYE is on a Sat. night this year which is when two of the more accessible samba schools, Salgueiro and Mangueira, have their rehearsal. Do try and get to a rehearsal by one of the other schools. One day will be taken up with Sugar Loaf and Corcovado. As an fan of arquitetcure you'll probably want to visit the museum by Oscar Niemeyer in Niteroi. This will take up at least half a day from Copa/Ipanema

IMO the other "must do" in Brasil is Iguaçu Falls but you'll need to 2.0-2.5 days to get there and back plus sightseeing to do it justice.

I can see the attraction of Brasilia but a day and a half should be sufficient. It would be helpful if the award ticket got you to Brasilia at the start of the Brazil portion. BTW, the historical cities around Belo Horizonte are relatively close to Brasilia with the works of the Aleijadinho and may be of interest.

I think Manaus would be too far unless you really need to see just the theatre and nothing else (which would seem a waste).

In short I would do .
Brasilia 1.5 days
Iguaçu Falls 2.5 day
Rio 3 days

Any more is too crammed an itinerary IMO. If your more interest in arquitecture heavily outweighs your interest in natural wonders substitute Iguaçu Falls for BH/Manaus.

Finally, depending on your schedule Gol www.voegol.com.br may be cheaper than a Varig/Tam pass but GOL is a LCC and thus stingy with baggage allowances.
Old Oct 15, 05, 12:20 pm

Salvador de Bahia, Recife, Brasilia

Hi-Christmas day on the beach in Recife is so fun, and New Year's eve in Bahia is different from New Year's in Rio.
It may be wet in Brasilia (a city lost in the 50's), if you go there take a tour.
Enjoy.
Old Oct 15, 05, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Alinlondon
I have just managed to get an award ticket on LH (in F- ) down to Argentina and returning via Brazil. I have one week in Brazil, arriving on Christmas day - apart from Rio I am fascinated by the architecture of Brasilia and also would like to see the stunning theatre in Manaus, with a Varig airpass I could visit all three for not a lot of money - but am I seeing the best of Brazil? Any thoughts? are there better places to see/go?
Great trip!

We have done Brazil for one week last year and had the TAM pass (some flights on Varig code-share): GRU - Iguacu Falls and Itaipu - Salvador - Rio de Janeiro and Petropolis .. we would do it again!
I believe, to go to Manaus is a loooong flight.
Old Oct 26, 05, 4:23 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Brazil Travel Plan

In short I would do .
Brasilia 1.5 days
Iguaçu Falls 2.5 day
Rio 3 days

I agree with the above recommendation. Another possibility would be as follows:

Brasilia: 0.5 day (arriving in the morning and departing in the evening, this is perfectly feasible)
Iguassu Falls: 1.5 days
Salvador: 2 days
Rio: 3 days - new year's eve!!!!! (a must), and dont forget to visit the Museum of Contemp. Art in Niteroi.

Honestly, isnt possible for you to stay one or two extra days in Brazil? Note that Brazil is a continental country and flight times among destinations will consume some of your time.

About Manaus: you really need a lot of time since this is a 4h flight from Sao Paulo. Would it be worth only for the Theater? No doubt the Manaus Theater is a world attraction, but the best would be some extra days to visit the Amazon Forest. I would rather visit Salvador da Bahia, which has a series of interesting churches and architecture and you would have a more interesting time. Also, Salvador is much better served with serveral daily flights between SSA and BSB or GIG, which would make your trip more efficient.

Your itinerary could look as follows: EZE-IGU-BSB-SSA-GIG.
And, yes, TAM or VARIG Air Pass are the best solution!

Enjoy Brazil

Rgs,
Old Nov 5, 05, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
Thank you all very much for the advice and ideas, I think in view of some of the comments above I may re-plan my trip with only Rio, Brasilia and a few days in Sao Paulo which is my arrival/departure city.

Search this Thread