Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Rio - Copacabana Palace or Caesar Park?

Old Aug 4, 05, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

I am trying to decide between 3 nights at the Copacabana Palace or the Caesar Park. My wife and I will be sightseeing and relaxing.

With Amex Platinum, I can get the Copa at $245/night and the Caesar at $276/night.

I know Ipanema is "nicer", but it seems like a once-in-a-lifetime to stay at the Copa.

Which one would you choose and why?
Old Aug 8, 05, 5:58 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Difficult decision...

This is a very difficult question.

As you said, Ipanema is much nicer, trendy, than Copa. However, Copacabana Palace is a remarkable experience and you will never forget it. The Palace is consistently ranked as one of the world's best hotels, and has an atmosphere in its own. The Caesar, on the coutrary, is just a top hotel as any other top ranked hotel, but has nothing "special".

My suggestion: stay at the Palace and reserve the Caesar Park (or another hotel in Ipanema) for when you come back to Rio!...

Rgs,
Old Aug 8, 05, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hardiwv
This is a very difficult question.

My suggestion: stay at the Palace and reserve the Caesar Park (or another hotel in Ipanema) for when you come back to Rio!...

Rgs,
Thank you for your thoughts.

Since I stayed in Ipanema the other time I was in Rio, I have followed your suggestion and booked the Palace. It really hope it is the experience of a lifetime.

Are there any tricks to getting the Amex Platinum upgrade through the Fine Hotels program, or is it just the luck of the draw upon arrival in Rio?
Old Aug 12, 05, 3:19 am

The Palace

It really hope it is the experience of a lifetime.

I'm sure it will be! Post your comments here (and dont forget to mention all the famous stars you will meet ) and enjoy Rio

Rgs,
Old Aug 12, 05, 8:26 am

Do the Palace just to say you did!
Old Sep 17, 05, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Gold, QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
This is a no brainer - of course the Copacabana Palace. I don't even see the Caesar Park being a competitor.
Old Sep 30, 05, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hardiwv

I'm sure it will be! Post your comments here (and dont forget to mention all the famous stars you will meet ) and enjoy Rio

Rgs,
Well, I have returned from the Copacabana Palace and I must say "Thank you!" to all who recommended this fabulous hotel.

We arrived and thanks to the Platinum Amex, we were upgraded from a standard room at $245/night to a Junior Suite on the Executive Level (5th floor of main building), a $670/night value. No beach view, but who cares, as they were doing construction across the street blocking most of the view.

The room was very large, with separate rooms for the toilet and the shower and bath. The bath was huge, and they even had bublle bath and a one-way mirror that allowed you to take a bath and look out the windown in the bedroom. The stereo was very nice with speakers in the ceiling. The TV did hide when not in use, and that was very nice. There was a fax machine in the room, to both send and receive faxes, but as we were on vacation, it was not used.

The hotel was amazing. Exiting the elevator on the way to our room, we were greeted by the Butler and offered a "welcome drink." What a great start to the trip. The butler staff, and the amenities of the 5th floor (free internet, free drinks, free continental breakfast) were just great.

The concierge staff was very helpful, and I really appreciated how they would tell me the prices of things, if services were included in the prices, and how they compared to the 'market' prices. (This differs from the Ritz and other hotels where I feel they charge way above market because they figure you have cash to burn). They even encouraged me not to use a guide to see Corcovado, but to take the train and see the sights myself (which was a great suggetion and a cost savings.)

When we rented a movie on a rainy night, it was only $8 bucks, and it included fresh popcorn brought to our room!

We rented bicylcles for a few hours, and the charge was the same as the street, R$10/hour, but conveniently billed to the room and waiting for us in the lobby.

When we returned from our bike ride, a police motorcade of 10 cars and motorcycles brough the Vice Premier of Indonesia or some such dignitary to the Penthouse for his stay. Ok, I was a little mad I didn't get the same reception, but perhaps on my return visit.

The room was beautiful, with a turn-down service that included fresh fruit, slippers by the bed, bottled water on the nightstand, and chocolate on the pillow.

The tennis court was included in the price of the hotel as were the balls and racquets. The court was lighted and in great condition.

I could go on and on about the great time, but let me just say I want to return to Rio, and I will only stay at the Copacabana Palace in the future.
Old Oct 6, 05, 7:50 am

I could go on and on about the great time, but let me just say I want to return to Rio, and I will only stay at the Copacabana Palace in the future.

I already expected this feedback!

Search this Thread