FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brazil (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil-678/)
-   -   Rio de Janeiro (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil/300572-rio-de-janeiro.html)

teahan Oct 16, 2001 4:04 pm

Rio de Janeiro

Hello,

I will be travelling to Rio this Friday and returning next Tuesday giving me about 3 days there. Does anyone have any hotels to recommend? What does one have to see and what about safety? Ay advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks for any replies.

Jeremiah

drtravels Oct 16, 2001 7:59 pm

First, welcome to FT and have a great time in Brasil.

Safety: I treat Rio as I do any big city. Be aware, don't flash money or jewelry. Act like you've lived there 20 years.

Hotel: It depends on your needs. I stay at the Ipanema Inn. Probably a 3 on a 1-10 scale but the price and location is great. Should be around $30-40usd/nt with breakfast. It is about 200 meters from the beach and is just behind Ceaser Park in Ipanema. Ipanema is the place to be IMO. Beach, food, entertainment and shopping is all there.

Sites: Since you have only a short time see the major ones but be sure to visit the beach on Saturday or Sunday when all the locals come out to play. The Ipanema Hippie fair is also (used to be anyway) on Sunday.

Food: If you eat meat, fast all day and go to Porcaos in Ipanema for a fantastic Brasilian BBQ. More meat, salads, fruits/veggies than you could imagine.

Take your smallest swimmers and plenty of sunscreen and a big smile - you'll have a great time.

I prefer to use the ATM machine at the airport after arrivals. You can board an air conditioned bus that'll take you close to your hotel if you are staying near the beach. It's a great way to go and about $3usd I believe. Look for the bus just outside the doors after arrivals.

RedRobin Oct 16, 2001 8:20 pm

very good suggestions

also do a search here for rio.. we had some ppl who were down there, including myself.. a carioca in ny now.

Sweet Willie Apr 18, 2007 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by drtravels (Post 2644863)
Food: If you eat meat, fast all day and go to Porcaos in Ipanema for a fantastic Brasilian BBQ. More meat, salads, fruits/veggies than you could imagine.

FWIW, Condé Nast Traveler Magazine (May 2007) listed Nakombi as a top restaurant in Rio. There are three other locations in Sao Paulo. Fresh sushi, sashimi and ceviches.

Nakombi
183 Rua Maria Angelica
Rio de Janeiro
phone: 55-21-22-461-518

they also listed Brasil a Gosto as a top restaurant in Sao Paulo. Restaurant is commited to local/regional cuisine.

Brasil a Gosto
70 rua Prof. Azevedo do Amaral
Sao Paulo
phone: 55-11-30-863-565

--

--

nsx1164 May 10, 2008 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie (Post 7604726)
FWIW, Condé Nast Traveler Magazine (May 2007) listed Nakombi as a top restaurant in Rio. There are three other locations in Sao Paulo. Fresh sushi, sashimi and ceviches.

I've tried Nakombi in Sao Paulo (lived there for 2 years) - and it's up there. FWIW, SP is probably THE restaurant city in all of South America.

Rio has some of the best churrascaria/rodizio places in Brazil... Porcao on the beach (by Botafogo area) is great.

My personal fave is Mariu's in Leme - right on Av Atlantica, right by the Leme-Copabacana border. The meat is the usual excellent Brazilian churrasco, but their seafood and native food are great.

Mariu's
Av Atlântica 290
Rio de Janeiro, 22010-000, Brazil
+55 21 2542-2393