Reload this Page >

Negative PCR Test now required to enter Brazil

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Negative PCR Test now required to enter Brazil

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2020, 2:50 pm

Received this earlier in the day from UA (in Brasil even though Timatic has still not updated; bolding in original and highlighting is mine):

Brazil new entry requirements

Travelers (Brazilian or foreigners) who enter Brazil will be required to obtain a negative COVID-19 test and to fill a health declaration (DSV). Measure starts to take effect on December 30th (including passengers boarding US on December 29th) until further notice. The test must be PCR type and must have been done up to 72 hours before boarding.

Last edited by dcpdxtrans; Dec 23, 2020 at 2:14 pm Reason: misspelling
Old Dec 22, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Suppose I'm flying BOS-MIA-GIG.

Does the 72-hour window coordinate with departure in BOS or MIA?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by discoverCSG

To my understanding it's 72 hours before the departure of the flight to Brazil.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 2:13 pm

I concur. It's the actual flight that takes you to Brasil that matters

Originally Posted by IstKong
To my understanding it's 72 hours before the departure of the flight to Brazil.
Originally Posted by discoverCSG

Old Dec 23, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
I concur. It's the actual flight that takes you to Brasil that matters
Perhaps. Check with the airline. While the wording is 72 hours before shipment the airline may mean this to be the first point of departure. I've had multiple U.S. carriers require a visa to be shown on the first segment even if it was domestic. Different situation but best to know in advance.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Perhaps. Check with the airline. While the wording is 72 hours before shipment the airline may mean this to be the first point of departure. I've had multiple U.S. carriers require a visa to be shown on the first segment even if it was domestic. Different situation but best to know in advance.
Actually, check here, which is what the airlines use. While I agree that a visa is required to be shown on the first segment (and I am always asked), for purposes of Brasil and its new 12/17 regulation, I read it as the flight that brings one to Brasil is the subject shipment. To be sure, the directive is poorly written (in PT). One other note: it is Brasil that is the ultimate arbiter. SO, an airline may let you board but what happens on the ground in Brasil will dictate.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 3:53 pm

Actually, check here, which is what the airlines use. While I agree that a visa is required to be shown on the first segment (and I am always asked), for purposes of Brasil and its new 12/17 regulation, I read it as the flight that brings one to Brasil is the subject shipment. To be sure, the directive is poorly written (in PT). One other note: it is Brasil that is the ultimate arbiter. SO, an airline may let you board but what happens on the ground in Brasil will dictate.
I agree. Even if they check the Covid test on the first sector (they may), they will read it accordingly to the 72 hours before the flight to Brazil rule.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
I agree with both that the requirement is country based and on the segment going to the country. Just sayin' airlines sometimes don't get it right even with the documentation in front of them. I've been almost denied boarding based upon an inaccurate reading of TWOV. I'd have the document and internet link at check-in.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 4:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Interesting read of the various interpretations of the new rule. Remember that you are entering Brazil and one thing I have learned is that there is no consistency in how things are done. I'm sure I will possibly read here, and certainly on other social media groups, reports about various people's experiences on entry once the rule is in effect. And if it is like other instances, there will be no consistency. So, prepare for the worst case scenario and hope for the best. Get your test results as close to departure as possible, wherever your departure point may be. This is true whether you are departing on Dec 29th or a subsequent date while the rule is in effect.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 2:25 pm

Finally, Updated Guidance

Originally Posted by qfrodo
Interesting read of the various interpretations of the new rule. Remember that you are entering Brazil and one thing I have learned is that there is no consistency in how things are done. I'm sure I will possibly read here, and certainly on other social media groups, reports about various people's experiences on entry once the rule is in effect. And if it is like other instances, there will be no consistency. So, prepare for the worst case scenario and hope for the best. Get your test results as close to departure as possible, wherever your departure point may be. This is true whether you are departing on Dec 29th or a subsequent date while the rule is in effect.
Totally agree that inconsistency will be consistent.

Finally, Brazil has updated their guidance. One of the many issues I had identified was that every person, regardless of age, which would include a 1yo, for example, would need a test. Here is the new guidance, quoting:
  • The COVID-19 test must be a document from a laboratory test (RT-PCR) for screening for infection by SARS-CoV-2, with a negative/non-reactive result, performed within 72 hours prior to the moment of boarding;
  • The document must be presented in Portuguese, Spanish or English;
  • The test must be carried out in a laboratory recognized by the health authority of the country of departure;
  • Children under the age of twelve who are traveling with a companion are exemptfrom presenting aCOVID-19test provided that all companions present the required negative/non-reactive COVID-19 tests. However, children aged two or over and less than twelve years old who are traveling unaccompanied must present proof of the negative/non-reactive COVID-19 test;
  • Children under the age of two years are exempt from presenting a negative COVID-19 test;
  • In the event of travel to Brazil with connections or stopovers where the traveler remains in a restricted area of ​​the airport, the seventy-two hour period applies for prior to boarding the first flight of the trip.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 2:58 pm

Here we go :

Brazil
Published 24.12.2020
1. Effective 25 December 2020, flights from the United Kingdom are suspended.
2. Effective 30 December 2020, passengers must have a medical certificate with a negative Coronavirus (COVID-19) RT-PCR test result. The test must have been taken at most 72 hours before departure from the first embarkation point. The certificate must be in English, Portuguese or Spanish.
- This does not apply to:
- passengers younger than 2 years;
- passengers younger than 12 years and traveling accompanied by a companion. The companion must have a negative RT-PCR test result.
3. Effective 30 December 2020, passengers must complete a Traveler's Health Declaration form at https://formulario.anvisa.gov.br/ and present it upon arrival.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 4:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
American Airlines just called me and let me know that they are requiring the test, even for those departing on 29DEC. Fortunately, the agent was able to proactively rebook me for 28DEC.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 2:46 pm

Quick update. No one in Brasil asked for any documentation. The only ask was at the point of departure in the US and then again at IAH, where I connected. The initial TA told me that she had only received an email that morning. In fact, in IAH, we were delayed 2h bc UA had to unload 74+ bags. Barely made connection in GRU...
zip10001 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.