Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Help for a Sao Paulo-centric itinerary (October trip)

Old Sep 11, 20, 12:27 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plat/1mm/Admirals Club,United Club (life),Marriott Plat,Hilton & Accor Gold,Priority Pass

I have been to Sao Paulo many times over the last several years and once to Rio. I haven't really been outside of these two major cities.

I am planning a twelve night trip for next month and considering how to spend my time. I will definitely spend some of my time in Sao Paulo, as well as a couple days at the Fasano Boa Vista. For the balance of my trip, I was considering visiting Vale dos Vinhedos and Porto Alegre or Ouro Preto and Belo Horizonte. Does anyone have any feedback or experience with these places? Any thoughts in light of the Coronavirus pandemic? I have searched and it seems Ouro Preto is well regarded (of course, that was pre-pandemic).

I am also open to other ideas.
Old Sep 11, 20, 5:29 pm

I’m pretty negative on Brazil in general so take this with a grain of salt but BH is horrible. Like I can’t even imagine why anyone would choose to visit there. I feel like it would be the same as someone from Brazil going to NYC and also Cleveland . Like what could possibly cause a Brazilian to even know of Cleveland, let alone visit it.
Old Sep 12, 20, 4:17 am

Programs: Former 11 yr UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD Diamante, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
TransWorldOne, as with anything, it depends on your likes and dislikes, which you don't mention in your post, just some possibilities for places. Yes, there are famous or well known places in Brazil, and you have been to two of them. If you are seeking to expand your horizons and learn more about Brazil, that is great. If you can indicate what you like or wish to avoid, I'm sure others can chime in with suggestions.
Old Sep 12, 20, 10:59 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plat/1mm/Admirals Club,United Club (life),Marriott Plat,Hilton & Accor Gold,Priority Pass
Thank you for the response, qfrodo. Some general likes include art, history, museums, food, beverage (coffee, cocktails, wine, beer, etc.), beaches, walking tours...

Dislikes include amusement parks, souvenir markets/shops, nightclubs, etc.
Old Sep 12, 20, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by TransWorldOne View Post
Any thoughts in light of the Coronavirus pandemic?
Stay home.
Old Sep 13, 20, 4:40 am

Programs: Former 11 yr UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD Diamante, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by TransWorldOne View Post
Thank you for the response, qfrodo. Some general likes include art, history, museums, food, beverage (coffee, cocktails, wine, beer, etc.), beaches, walking tours...

Dislikes include amusement parks, souvenir markets/shops, nightclubs, etc.
Well, while "stay home" is decent advice given the pandemic, there are still flights being operated and people traveling for whatever reason. As I understand things at present, you can enter Brazil by air, but need to have proof of health insurance valid in Brazil for the time period you plan to be in Brazil.

One can look at past posts on FT where people would ask about crime. Now that question has been supplanted by how are things Pandemic wise?. Often, in response to the crime question, the response would be use common sense and avoid places that increase the risk. This can be applied to the Pandemic as well.

You mention food in your response. One group I follow recently asked about where the best food in Brazil was. Not reporting this to create a discussion, just to relay the result. The state of Minas Gerais, of which Belo Horizonte is the capital, seemed to be the clear favorite. Can't speak to what else might be there. but sites like Tripadvisor can provide suggestions. I do know that when my wife sees a place that features Mineiro food where we live, that is where we usually end up eating.

As for beaches, which you also mentioned, take your pick, Brazil has lots. :-) I happen to live near one. Also, in about an hour and 15 minutes I can be at our place in the mountains in an area considered to be one of the top climates in the world. All of this is in Espirito Santo, next to Minas Gerais.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.
Old Sep 13, 20, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by qfrodo View Post
the mountains in an area considered to be one of the top climates in the world.
Where? My father lived in Guarapari and now lives in Vitória, he likes the State of Espírito Santo. I only went there once and thought the beaches were very beautiful!
Old Sep 13, 20, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by boboqui View Post
Where? My father lived in Guarapari and now lives in Vitória, he likes the State of Espírito Santo. I only went there once and thought the beaches were very beautiful!
Domingos Martins
Old Sep 13, 20, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by qfrodo View Post
Domingos Martins
Very beautiful!
Old Sep 16, 20, 12:04 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
Ouro Preto is a small town with very little to do, even though its pretty, if you happen to be in BH its nice for a 1-2 day trip but I wouldn't fly out to see it. I haven't been to BH but most ppl say its pretty boring just to visit though people who spent many months there like it, as there is quite a hot digital marketing / internet entrepenuer community there and low cost of living + good flight connections.

If "art, history, museums, food, beverage (coffee, cocktails, wine, beer, etc.), beaches, walking tours..." is your cup of tea I think you're going to the wrong part of the country, I suggest you check out the Costa do Cacao (cacao coast) in Bahia if you wanna see something new, start in Salvador spend 2-3 days there tons of museums, history, architecture and in my opinion Bahia has way better food than Sao Paolo/ Rio / South, though the Amazon (amazonas/para) region def takes the gold medal in best food in the country. Plus coffee and choclate artisan culture there. If you have time you can even swing to Lencois and Vale do Capao to check out some of the Brazilian highlands and get away from the head for 1-2 days.

You could then work your way down to some of the most beautiful beaches of Brazil such as Morro de Sao Paolo, Itacare (and nearby Illehus), and finish your trip in Porto Seguro area which also has a lot of history (it was where the Portuguese first landed in 1500). Nearby Porto Seguro is Arrial de Ajuda and the more hip Trancoso and more hippy Caraiva all easily doable by daytrip. I suggest stay in Arrial de Ajuda as Porto Seguro itself can be a bit party atmosphere (a bit like Brazilian Cancun lets say). From Porto Seguro you have direct flights to Rio or SP to wrap things up. You could pickup an automatic SUV car in Salvador airport return it in Porto Seguro airport for maybe $200US for a week

Porto Alegre is in my opinion far closer to Argentina/Uruguay in culture then the rest of Brazil but if thats what your looking for go for it, its not particularly known for being a tourist destination with most people preferring Uruguay or Argentina to get a taste of gaucho culture. Of course if your in that are and like beaches, the beaches just north and south of Florianopolis are gorgeous too (although Floripa's beaches itself in the island proper are a bit underwhelming for all the hype)
TransWorldOne likes this.

Last edited by PointsPanda; Sep 16, 20 at 12:10 pm
Old Sep 17, 20, 12:39 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you for the thoughtful post, PointsPanda. You've certainly given me some good information and great possibilities to consider. I had thought about Salvador but am concerned about the impact of Corona there. I'll have to do more research and see what's open.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: