FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brazil (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil-678/)
-   -   Brazil - Mandatory Insurance Masterthread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil/2024202-brazil-mandatory-insurance-masterthread.html)

PointsPanda Aug 29, 2020 5:42 pm

Brazil - Mandatory Insurance Masterthread

Hello everyone!

I'm super excited to be heading down to Brazil for a 6 week vacation. (Got a sick deal too MEX to GRU roundtrip on Aeromexico 787-9 reverse herringbone for 63k amex points transferred to Aeromexico, woohoo!)

As you guys know the borders are now open but there is a requirement that all travelers have insurance. The official document doesn't necessarily state that covid must be covered but many other travel websites are stating this.

I know its been covered a bit here and there on separate threads but there are still no clear reports on the ground, especially from Americans.

Has anyone flown down? What kind of insurance did they ask for? What are some recommended types of travel insurance that did the trick? I purchased the additional travel insurance with aeromexico (was only $25bucks why not), plus probably going to buy safetywing.com insurance.

Any actual reports on the ground or confirmation from government officials will be great (plz no speculation)

Thanks in advance to everyone.

anaggie Aug 29, 2020 7:19 pm

I was just down then there last week for 5 days on a work trip.

The Brazilian customs officer took a look at my insurance printout and confirmed it with the travel dates that I was staying in Brazil. Mine didn’t say anything about COVID.

I paid $16 for 5 days for $1million in coverage and $0 deductible. Prices for lesser coverage were like $1 or $2 less.

My feeling for your 6 week vacation is that you better get proper coverage for COVID. Try IMG travel insurance.

While in São Paulo, I felt fine walking around Paulista since everyone is wearing a mask but I was only there for 2 days. Restaurants felt fine and the hotel was really strict about cleaning.

I had gone to visit my suppliers In Itaipava for 1.5 days and was with them with masks. I didn’t really do a lot of sightseeing or bar hopping.

For 6 weeks, I wish you luck and hope you get the proper coverage.

Global Adventurer Aug 30, 2020 10:22 am

Originally Posted by anaggie (Post 32639170)
I was just down then there last week for 5 days on a work trip.

The Brazilian customs officer took a look at my insurance printout and confirmed it with the travel dates that I was staying in Brazil. Mine didn’t say anything about COVID.

I paid $16 for 5 days for $1million in coverage and $0 deductible. Prices for lesser coverage were like $1 or $2 less.

My feeling for your 6 week vacation is that you better get proper coverage for COVID. Try IMG travel insurance.

While in São Paulo, I felt fine walking around Paulista since everyone is wearing a mask but I was only there for 2 days. Restaurants felt fine and the hotel was really strict about cleaning.

I had gone to visit my suppliers In Itaipava for 1.5 days and was with them with masks. I didn’t really do a lot of sightseeing or bar hopping.

For 6 weeks, I wish you luck and hope you get the proper coverage.

I carry an international health insurance policy that covers everything, including diseases. I think this is probably all I would need, but there's no start or end date because I pay for it monthly. It's not travel insurance. I guess when I go to Brazil I'll just take a copy of the entire policy and copies of my medical cards.

PointsPanda Aug 30, 2020 1:38 pm

Appreciate the help. I also already have international health insurance made for American expats under Cigna, but not sure if it passes the musters, its like $5k deductible and really only made for super emergencies. I also already have whatever is covered under my chase sapphire reserve card, and also for $20 more paid for the "travel insurance " policy under aeromexico because I figured this would increase the chance of me being left alone at boarding.

I'm thinking I should get the IMG as well. I'll have to make some phone calls and do some more research. I'd rather have like 5 different insurance and hope one of them passes the muster then have my trip ruined over a relatively small amount of money.

Would still like to hear confirmation of people who entered and what kind of insurance then used rather then "try this" of people who haven't been on the ground yet.

anaggie Aug 30, 2020 1:55 pm

The customs agents are going to want to see a policy that specifically states that you are covered for the dates that you are going to be there.

Simple .. why would someone want to make their own life difficult by taking a whole policy down there and having the customs agent try to decipher it? Make the life of the customs agent easy and yours also.

PointsPanda Sep 3, 2020 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by anaggie (Post 32640529)
The customs agents are going to want to see a policy that specifically states that you are covered for the dates that you are going to be there.

Simple .. why would someone want to make their own life difficult by taking a whole policy down there and having the customs agent try to decipher it? Make the life of the customs agent easy and yours also.

While I respect your opinion , if you see the other threads both on this forum and others who've been on the ground, its pretty clear it isn't as easy peasy as just making sure the dates are ok and off you go. Also it isn't clear what "proper" coverage even means! Thats what so frustrating, if the authorities down there would just say this is the insurance you need, here is the cost, I would quickly do it.

Multiple reports on the ground which is what I wanted make clear that both the airlines and custom agents are giving a good hard look at insurance policies and making sure it passes but the problem is it really isn't clear beyond covid coverage what they're looking for. While I have insurance from the flight i'm taking, from my credit card, AND my expat health insurance, I'd still rather get some specific policy that I know passes the muster. Many reports here on this forum show people getting turned around or at least being given a very hard time.

Also not sure IMG is a great option as it says it only covered covid if your home country has not issued a CDC advisory level 3 and above (it has for Brazil). Sounds like a sneaky way of them saying they cover covid but if you read the fine print they don't really for Brazil.

Honestly would rather just spend $100USD on some fancy schmany insurance and make sure its 100% ok, then take a chance with the airline's coverage, my chase credit card coverege, or my overseas healthcare coverage.

Do you need a $0 deductible? What needs to be covered?

IstKong Sep 4, 2020 4:05 am

Originally Posted by PointsPanda (Post 32650796)
While I respect your opinion , if you see the other threads both on this forum and others who've been on the ground, its pretty clear it isn't as easy peasy as just making sure the dates are ok and off you go. Also it isn't clear what "proper" coverage even means! Thats what so frustrating, if the authorities down there would just say this is the insurance you need, here is the cost, I would quickly do it.

Multiple reports on the ground which is what I wanted make clear that both the airlines and custom agents are giving a good hard look at insurance policies and making sure it passes but the problem is it really isn't clear beyond covid coverage what they're looking for. While I have insurance from the flight i'm taking, from my credit card, AND my expat health insurance, I'd still rather get some specific policy that I know passes the muster. Many reports here on this forum show people getting turned around or at least being given a very hard time.

Also not sure IMG is a great option as it says it only covered covid if your home country has not issued a CDC advisory level 3 and above (it has for Brazil). Sounds like a sneaky way of them saying they cover covid but if you read the fine print they don't really for Brazil.

Honestly would rather just spend $100USD on some fancy schmany insurance and make sure its 100% ok, then take a chance with the airline's coverage, my chase credit card coverege, or my overseas healthcare coverage.

Do you need a $0 deductible? What needs to be covered?

Which reports on the ground ?

I am hopefully going to GRU tonight with Air France flight AF454.

I have a certificate covering medical disease and repatriation, up to 150 000€, and mentioning the dates of the trip.
It's the coverage I have from my French premium credit card, with a French insurance company of good reputation.

I let you know in a few hours if I was able to board guys. I already have my boarding passes through OLCI, so it does not look like this is a flight with a heavy check of the documents (otherwise OLCI would be closed).

IstKong Sep 5, 2020 4:45 am

I just arrived safely in Sao Paulo.

No problem at all regarding the insurance. It's not strict at all.

My flight was MAD-CDG-GRU so my insurance was checked both at MAD and CDG.
​​​​​​

The only thing that the agent are looking for is that it is written in english or portuguese, specify brazil, covers your dates, and have a sufficient amount. The amount can be written in euros or dollar because it was my case, it just should match the 30 000 BRL requirement when converted.

I was surprised on how busy the flight was. And we were quite a lot to travel on a foreign passport with no residence in brazil so lots of insurance certificate to check for the agent. Only one guy was refused because he was showing a weird business card (I don't have more details).

At immigration in GRU, no problem either. They check the same things in the certificate as the gate agents.

They didn't asked me why I was travelling or where I was going in brazil, they just make sure that your travel dates matches the insurance certificate.

I am heading to Rio de Janeiro Monday to do some sightseeing as everything in Rio looks reopened compared to sao paulo where there is still important restrictions.
If you are interested, I will report you how it was to travel there as a tourist actually.

Global Adventurer Sep 5, 2020 6:01 am

IstKong Thank you. Yes, please report on your experience being a tourist too. Thanks again 👍

SAN_POA Sep 6, 2020 7:55 pm

I came through GRU the past week headed to POA and I had a similar experience.

The customs agent for foreigners wouldn’t accept just the medical insurance card, he needed to see coverage of at least 30k BRL.

My Portuguese isn’t great, but showed The online policy with deductibles (adding up to $30k+ USD) with my name and that was sufficient. I’d recommend printing out, since the WiFi in the customs area can be spotty.

Do ensure all documentation is in English and/or Portuguese, as they don’t accept Spanish, for example.

PointsPanda Sep 8, 2020 12:15 am

Originally Posted by IstKong (Post 32653777)
I just arrived safely in Sao Paulo.

No problem at all regarding the insurance. It's not strict at all.

My flight was MAD-CDG-GRU so my insurance was checked both at MAD and CDG.
​​​​​​

The only thing that the agent are looking for is that it is written in english or portuguese, specify brazil, covers your dates, and have a sufficient amount. The amount can be written in euros or dollar because it was my case, it just should match the 30 000 BRL requirement when converted.

I was surprised on how busy the flight was. And we were quite a lot to travel on a foreign passport with no residence in brazil so lots of insurance certificate to check for the agent. Only one guy was refused because he was showing a weird business card (I don't have more details).

At immigration in GRU, no problem either. They check the same things in the certificate as the gate agents.

They didn't asked me why I was travelling or where I was going in brazil, they just make sure that your travel dates matches the insurance certificate.

I am heading to Rio de Janeiro Monday to do some sightseeing as everything in Rio looks reopened compared to sao paulo where there is still important restrictions.
If you are interested, I will report you how it was to travel there as a tourist actually.

Please do would be super interested to hear. Going to be doing Goiania/Brasilia area with a stop in Chapada dos viadeiros, Fortaleza and Jeri and then down to Rio in the end.

PointsPanda Sep 16, 2020 12:53 pm

Anyone have any more details about the deductible ? Does it have to be $0 or if not what is the minimum?

Global Adventurer Sep 16, 2020 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by PointsPanda (Post 32680147)
Anyone have any more details about the deductible ? Does it have to be $0 or if not what is the minimum?

Is it against flyer talk rules for somebody to simply just post the basic details of their insurance policy on here so everybody knows what a possible ballpark figure is in obtaining this insurance? Like coverage amount (which I've seen already listed), the deductible amount and for approximately how many days and a rounded down figure on the actual policy amount. Thanks in advance, and more names of companies if possible. I've never had to buy travel insurance, don't have a clue what company I could even trust. Thanks again!

UAPremierGuy Sep 17, 2020 8:53 pm

Duplicate

PointsPanda Oct 1, 2020 9:18 pm

Hey guys, I used the global health insurance I already had at Cigna for American expats along with the ID card and 2 documents one stating I had insurance the other stating it covers covid 19, I got in just fine. The agent at customs looked it over it relatively carefully, but I wouldn't sweat things too much as long as it shows coverage of over $8k usd and covers covid, still not sure about deductibles.