Reload this Page >

Anyone fly to Brazil after Aug 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone fly to Brazil after Aug 1

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2020, 5:39 pm

I’ll be flying hopefully this Thursday to GRU so I’ll add my experience as well.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 11:00 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Club2000 Ultimate / M&M HON Circle / ALL Diamond / Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by Basanez
I’ll be flying hopefully this Thursday to GRU so I’ll add my experience as well.
Thanks ! Feedback appreciated
Old Aug 29, 2020, 7:35 am

Flew IAH-GRU on UA. At checkin agent spent about 10 minutes going over everything to make sure I qualified. I gave him the insurance documentation and he spent a minute going over it. No issues there.

At the gate the gate agents made several announcements asking passengers traveling with a passport other than Brazilian to make a line to again check for insurance policy. These people actually read the policy carefully to make sure it was the right country, date and they looked for medical written somewhere in the policy. I got mine through AIG (I’m sure I overpaid) TravelGuard and he said yeah I know this policy it’s good. There was a guy next to me who apparently was trying to use their credit card coverage (didn’t hear which premium card). He was apparently told over the phone by United it’d suffice, and the gate agent was explaining it wouldn’t be enough. We still had about 1:30 hours to leave so hopefully he was able to sort it out/purchase a policy on the spot.

Arriving at GRU was business as usual. Immigration officer was polite. Asked to see the policy and asked how long I was staying. He pointed out the policy was purchased for a day after the departure date I had just told him, and I explained I always like a day or two of wiggle room in case the flight gets cancelled. No issues. I’d say 1-2 minutes total.

GRU is almost business as usual as pre-covid but with everybody I saw wearing masks and sitting apart.

Not sure what the procedure is for each airline, but with United they send you an email about your return ticket that you MUST reply to that email (local Brazilian office email) stating that you indeed intend to take your return flight, as well as to let them know whether you’re traveling back to the US on a US passport or to make sure you’re in one of the categories allowed back in. They have a WhatsApp number (local) where you can write and confirm the got your email and that your ticket is still a go. No issues there either, just something to keep in mind.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by Basanez
Flew IAH-GRU on UA. At checkin agent spent about 10 minutes going over everything to make sure I qualified. I gave him the insurance documentation and he spent a minute going over it. No issues there.

At the gate the gate agents made several announcements asking passengers traveling with a passport other than Brazilian to make a line to again check for insurance policy. These people actually read the policy carefully to make sure it was the right country, date and they looked for medical written somewhere in the policy. I got mine through AIG (I’m sure I overpaid) TravelGuard and he said yeah I know this policy it’s good. There was a guy next to me who apparently was trying to use their credit card coverage (didn’t hear which premium card). He was apparently told over the phone by United it’d suffice, and the gate agent was explaining it wouldn’t be enough. We still had about 1:30 hours to leave so hopefully he was able to sort it out/purchase a policy on the spot.

Why was this guy insurance policy denied ? Did he tried to board by just showing the agent his plastic credit card ?

I have a travel insurance linked to my credit card, and the insurance company issued for me a certificate (PDF), stating that I am covered in Brazil, for up to 150 000€ of medical expenses, repatriation, etc... And clearly saying that it is valid for my travel dates. The paper does not mention Covid though.

I am now worried of being denied from boarding (travelling with Air France CDG-GRU next week...)
Old Aug 29, 2020, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by IstKong
Why was this guy insurance policy denied ? Did he tried to board by just showing the agent his plastic credit card ?

I have a travel insurance linked to my credit card, and the insurance company issued for me a certificate (PDF), stating that I am covered in Brazil, for up to 150 000€ of medical expenses, repatriation, etc... And clearly saying that it is valid for my travel dates. The paper does not mention Covid though.

I am now worried of being denied from boarding (travelling with Air France CDG-GRU next week...)
I just mentioned what I overheard. Not sure if the guy was able to use his credit card insurance or if he had to do something else. I’d assume if you present your coverage in writing that you wouldn’t have a problem.
IstKong and 24.05.2004 like this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: AF/KLM Club2000 Ultimate / M&M HON Circle / ALL Diamond / Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by IstKong

Thanks for the report !

Flying tomorrow CDG - GRU with AF and flying back next Thursday.
I will update if anything special

Will make a PCR test next Monday in Sao Paulo to be able to fly back to CDG next Thursday
24.05.2004 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 2:21 pm

Wow, please post details of the PCR test when all is said and done. Would be good to have that knowledge in my back pocket in case of emergency.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: United, Delta, American
I flew in mid September. NO PROBLEMS! The hardest part of the flight was proving to AZUL that I had valid insurance for Brazil.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Are pillows still banned on flights to Brazil?
Old Nov 14, 2020, 2:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by zeer0
Are pillows still banned on flights to Brazil?
I had a pillow on AF economy class in early September...
zeer0 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Esmjb
Wow, please post details of the PCR test when all is said and done. Would be good to have that knowledge in my back pocket in case of emergency.
Late feedback sorry
I went back to Sao a few weeks ago and everything is almost back to normal

Quite simple to have a PCR test by going to Fleury laboratory. Results within 24 hours
Old Nov 14, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
AA offered pillows on my flight MIA-GRU this week. It appears they are offering PCR tests in the main area of the check-in lobby here in GRU for those who want/need one. I don't, as I'm traveling to a similarly afflicted USA I'm not sure what the process is, or if an appointment is needed, or what (if any) the cost is, but there was a decent queue as I passed by.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.