Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Where to spend a chill week within arm's reach of Uruguay / Montevideo

Old Mar 14, 20, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

We flew into MVD last week planning to move onto Argentina (Buenos Aires). Long story short, Covid-19 has made AR rather inhospitable toward us US citizens. We have a few more weeks in South America, and basically a week to spend on our own before my folks come and meet up with us for a 10-12 day long tour of Uruguay (thinking to stick mainly to the southern coastline).

ANYHOW: we're looking to get out of country for a week or so. Our favorite way would be to end up on a fun beach town with ample interesting foods to eat and drinks to imbibe. I have research work to do half the time, so someplace on the grid is important. Florianopolis comes to mind, but despite its relative closeness to MVD, it's either 2 flights or a couple long bus rides away. Are there any towns closer to UY that make sense for us to visit? Porto Alegre? Rio looks cool, but we're worried we'd just be overwhelmed with the 6 or 7 days we'd have there.

Our general mode of travel is to lay low and try and live the life of the locals. This will be harder to do in Brazil, where we don't speak the language (Spanish is fine for us, though--again, we'd planned on AR), but we could probably manage just fine.

Does anybody have any gems to share? Thoughts on what you'd do in our shoes (especially if you're familiar with what UY has to offer)? Thanks--this is all by the seat of our pants at this point!
Old Mar 15, 20, 3:18 am

This is probably a bit further then you wanted to go...but if you want good food then IMO no other country in SA comes close to that of Peru. Mind blowing food. Despite Lima being right on the ocean the beach scene basically doesn’t exist so you would have to imbibe at the hotel pool.
Otherwise go to Rio (if coronavirus doesn’t scare you). The language barrier will not be a problem at all and I’m guessing you can get amazing deals now especially with the real getting crushed lately to all time lows. Best beach in the world is ipanema (again IMO).
Old Mar 16, 20, 12:39 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Go to Rio. There's no way the irresponsible population will comply with any coronavirus lockdown so everyone will still be on the beach, and you'll be able to blend in with the locals (at your own risk, of course).
Old Mar 16, 20, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Forget it--this trip is a non-starter with what all that's happened in the past couple days. Now that Uruguay is tightening it's borders we're just going to stay put and hope that we're able to get out per schedule, as AA recently cancelled flights in/out of MVD. Thanks for the thoughts, and we'll try and lay low in UY.

Originally Posted by jnagar View Post
We flew into MVD last week planning to move onto Argentina (Buenos Aires). Long story short, Covid-19 has made AR rather inhospitable toward us US citizens. We have a few more weeks in South America, and basically a week to spend on our own before my folks come and meet up with us for a 10-12 day long tour of Uruguay (thinking to stick mainly to the southern coastline).

ANYHOW: we're looking to get out of country for a week or so. Our favorite way would be to end up on a fun beach town with ample interesting foods to eat and drinks to imbibe. I have research work to do half the time, so someplace on the grid is important. Florianopolis comes to mind, but despite its relative closeness to MVD, it's either 2 flights or a couple long bus rides away. Are there any towns closer to UY that make sense for us to visit? Porto Alegre? Rio looks cool, but we're worried we'd just be overwhelmed with the 6 or 7 days we'd have there.

Our general mode of travel is to lay low and try and live the life of the locals. This will be harder to do in Brazil, where we don't speak the language (Spanish is fine for us, though--again, we'd planned on AR), but we could probably manage just fine.

Does anybody have any gems to share? Thoughts on what you'd do in our shoes (especially if you're familiar with what UY has to offer)? Thanks--this is all by the seat of our pants at this point!
RafKa likes this.
Old Mar 18, 20, 2:28 am

What’s the situation there? Stay in place? Are restaurants open? How are you getting back to the US?
Old Mar 22, 20, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boboqui View Post
What’s the situation there? Stay in place? Are restaurants open? How are you getting back to the US?
If you're asking about Uruguay, the situation seemed tense. Folks are obviously afraid of this pandemic. We headed to Punta del Diablo to lay low in a private accomodation. 2 days in, as the news was getting more worrisome, I contacted the US embassy. They urged us to head out before the airport gets shut down. Suggested a route with Copa to LAX via Panama. We hurried to book 2 tickets and hastily packed our bags. Drove back to MVD and flew out very early 3/20/20. Some restaurants seemed to be open in Montevideo, but a lot seemed shut.
I've been curious: would we really have gotten stranded down there if we hadn't left? It turns out yes, I just read on the US Embassy site in Panama: "The Panamanian government announced that all international commercial flights in and out of Panama will be suspended as of 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, March 22. There will be exceptions for cargo, humanitarian, medical supplies, and government aircraft flights. Any U.S. Citizens wishing to return to the United States should do so immediately. Any U.S. Citizens remaining in Panama should be prepared to remain indefinitely."

https://pa.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

This effectively kills the Copa route out of MVD. With AA also having suspended their MVD-MIA route (without any actual news releases on that--which was part of my confusion in staying put, waiting for our scheduled flight out), I think options are rapidly shriveling up. If you read this and are in MVD contemplating getting out, write the embassy and ask for their advice. Otherwise, best of luck, and I'll be curious to see how the situation progresses down there in UY.
Old Mar 22, 20, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Doing a quick Kayak search for flights out of MVD into LAX the next few days, I find only complex routes relying on PTY, which should be shut down as of midnight tonight: https://www.kayak.com/flights/MVD-LA...-03-24/2adults...
Old Mar 22, 20, 3:47 pm

jnagar, glad you made it! Copa will shutdown tonight.

https://www.copaair.com/en/web/us/te...own-operations
Old Mar 22, 20, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boboqui View Post
jnagar, glad you made it! Copa will shutdown tonight.

https://www.copaair.com/en/web/us/te...own-operations
The odd thing to me is that AA still hasn't addressed the suspension of their MIA-MVD route. Nothing about it in press releases, just up and cancelled all those flights.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: