Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Question about short trip to Rio end of March

Old Feb 10, 20, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

Thinking of making a mileage run to Rio last week of March with my 16 year old son. Would probably stay at Hilton on Copabana Beach. I have not been to Rio in 10 years? Is it safe, suggested activities? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Feb 11, 20, 7:06 am

I think you will find virtually nothing has changed since you were last there. Same buses, same buildings, same restaurants... Take the usual precautions and everything will be fine. For me, I would post up on ipanema beach near posto 9 and soak up the scene, the sun and maybe take down a sandwich or two from barraca de uruguay. Hit up ct boucherie or gero for dinner.
Old Feb 11, 20, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JB123 View Post
Thinking of making a mileage run to Rio last week of March with my 16 year old son. Would probably stay at Hilton on Copabana Beach. I have not been to Rio in 10 years? Is it safe, suggested activities? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Safe? Yes (before dark). Hip? Not really... Ipanema would be a better spot, but the Hilton is ok. Very easy to get to sugar loaf. You can walk along the path on the corner of that beach along the sea... Very safe area.
Old Feb 11, 20, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

What about activities or sight seeing?

Originally Posted by Esmjb View Post
I think you will find virtually nothing has changed since you were last there. Same buses, same buildings, same restaurants... Take the usual precautions and everything will be fine. For me, I would post up on ipanema beach near posto 9 and soak up the scene, the sun and maybe take down a sandwich or two from barraca de uruguay. Hit up ct boucherie or gero for dinner.
i never did any. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 11, 20, 2:53 pm

Programs: ex-US Gold, Accor Silver, AF apologist
i never did any. Any suggestions?
I was in Rio in 2017, I found a great tour guide on TripAdvisor, I can send you his details if you would like.

He picked us up (2 people) at the hotel, took us to Christ the Redeemer, Sambadrome, Cathedral, lunch in downtown, Sugar Loaf and dropped us off at the end of the day. It was a great way to see the city and get a feel for what else we wanted to do. July, so off season and not crowded. Spent some time on the beach, got bikes from our hotel (Copacabana Palace) and rode along the water. Really enjoyed the city. I would happily go back again
Old Feb 11, 20, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, I would appreciate that.

Originally Posted by mapboyPHL View Post
I was in Rio in 2017, I found a great tour guide on TripAdvisor, I can send you his details if you would like.

He picked us up (2 people) at the hotel, took us to Christ the Redeemer, Sambadrome, Cathedral, lunch in downtown, Sugar Loaf and dropped us off at the end of the day. It was a great way to see the city and get a feel for what else we wanted to do. July, so off season and not crowded. Spent some time on the beach, got bikes from our hotel (Copacabana Palace) and rode along the water. Really enjoyed the city. I would happily go back again
it would be great to get his contact info thanks.
Old Feb 12, 20, 4:14 pm

it would be great to get his contact info thanks.
Just sent you a PM
Old Feb 15, 20, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much!

Just sent you a PM
I am scheduled with him!
Old Feb 16, 20, 6:20 am

I am scheduled with him!
awesome, enjoy!
Old Feb 16, 20, 6:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
If you don't mind, I'm going to piggy back on this thread and maybe pick up some tips for my trip in October.
Old Feb 18, 20, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it really possible to include Corcovado in such a full day? We took the train, and it was a bit of a cluster getting down. But the shuttles also looked like they had massive lines. (Our hotel concierge told us the main road up was closed due to recent heavy rains and the alternate route goes way out of the way -- but I'm not sure this was actually true). This was Friday afteroon/evening, so maybe the key is to head up there first thing?
Old Feb 18, 20, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Is it really possible to include Corcovado in such a full day? [...] This was Friday afteroon/evening, so maybe the key is to head up there first thing?
In theory, yes. We hit Corcovado first thing in the morning and our guide drove us right up to the point of sale for tickets. It helped that we were there in July, so no lines.
Old Feb 19, 20, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In theory, yes. We hit Corcovado first thing in the morning and our guide drove us right up to the point of sale for tickets.
Out of curiosity - where was that? At the "visitor center" where you then have to get in a shuttle bus, or all the way near the top, where you can just jump in the elevators and then escalators up to statue-level?
Old Feb 19, 20, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Out of curiosity - where was that? At the "visitor center" where you then have to get in a shuttle bus, or all the way near the top, where you can just jump in the elevators and then escalators up to statue-level?
the "visitor center." we jumped on the first shuttle and were at the top/ escalators within a very short time

Search this Thread
Search Engine: