FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brazil (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil-678/)
-   -   Questions re. Iguazu & Buzios (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil/1976804-questions-re-iguazu-buzios.html)

GetSetJetSet Jul 4, 2019 5:40 pm

Questions re. Iguazu & Buzios

Going in Feb., will be at the falls for 2 night. Looking for suggestions on things to do and the best way to experience the falls. Will stay at the Belmond. Wondering if it's possible to pop into Paraguay for lunch (the town that forms the tri-border).

A bit after that, will be in Buzios for a week, looking for bar and restaurant suggestions. Thanks!

malagajohn Jul 5, 2019 10:19 am

Ciudad del Este for lunch? Not too sure that if you are there for two nights there is enough time. And not too sure if there are decent restaurants to recommend. I have lunch a couple of times a year but its always a private catering thing arranged by customers.

If you want to the falls properly do one day Brazil and one day Argentina. If you must eat outside Brazil I would do dinner in Puerto iguazu in Argentina

GetSetJetSet Jul 6, 2019 8:02 am

Originally Posted by malagajohn (Post 31272389)
Ciudad del Este for lunch? Not too sure that if you are there for two nights there is enough time. And not too sure if there are decent restaurants to recommend. I have lunch a couple of times a year but its always a private catering thing arranged by customers.

If you want to the falls properly do one day Brazil and one day Argentina. If you must eat outside Brazil I would do dinner in Puerto iguazu in Argentina

Is it an ordeal to go over the border?

VidaNaPraia Jul 6, 2019 1:11 pm

Which border? Paraguay or Argentina? For Brazil to Argentina, it just takes time to go through Brazilian and then Argentine border control/
Paraguay is not worth it. A lot of cheap Chinese junk. No class. Nothing of interest.

malagajohn Jul 7, 2019 8:21 am

Going into Paraguay is normally easy . Brazil and Argentina depends on the day but tend to be stricter

GetSetJetSet Jul 7, 2019 10:21 am

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia (Post 31275823)
Which border? Paraguay or Argentina? For Brazil to Argentina, it just takes time to go through Brazilian and then Argentine border control/
Paraguay is not worth it. A lot of cheap Chinese junk. No class. Nothing of interest.

Figured if i'm that close i'd pop into Paraguay as i've never been. Suggestions on places to eat on the Brazil side and best way to experience the falls? Thx!

Marambio Jul 9, 2019 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 31278300)
Figured if i'm that close i'd pop into Paraguay as i've never been

Not worth it. Paraguay has some interesting sights (even Asunción may grow on you), but Ciudad del Este is dystopian. I would spend my time at the falls -- one day I'd cross into Argentina and take the speed-boat ride, which is really worth it.

VidaNaPraia Jul 14, 2019 7:12 am

Figured if i'm that close i'd pop into Paraguay as i've never been.

Are you equally compelled to pop into every dollar store if you are nearby? LOL

XLR26 Jul 14, 2019 11:14 pm

Buzios’ main nightlife area is basically a couple streets w bars and restaurants. Decent food options. Don’t remember where exactly I ate. Just take a walk through and see what looks good on the dinner guests’ plates (lots of outdoor spots). And be sure to try the moqueca (fish stew). I don’t like stews but I loved that dish.

Also rent a dune buggy to visit all the beaches. It’s by far the best and most fun option to get around.

ajeleonard Jul 16, 2019 9:35 am

I walked across the border into Cuidad del Este and it wasn't worth it. Sketchy dump with machine gun guards in every shop. Certainly not somewhere to go for lunch

felix_5000 Jul 22, 2019 8:21 am

Figured if i'm that close i'd pop into Paraguay as i've never been. Suggestions on places to eat on the Brazil side and best way to experience the falls? Thx!

You can hopover to Paraguay to collect a stamp in your passport, just prepare to be disappointed. I had no desire to eat there.
There is couple of good por kilo restaurants in the city centre along Rua Alm. Barroso. You will find churrascarias, burgers and pizza as well.

To the falls:
There is a huge visitors centre on the Brazilian site, right before entering the area. You will get plenty of information there as it is well organized. It reminded me strongly of most American national park i've visited. Since it is very regulated, there are no real insider tips to give. Just enjoy! :)

GetSetJetSet Jul 22, 2019 9:46 am

Originally Posted by felix_5000 (Post 31329447)
You can hopover to Paraguay to collect a stamp in your passport, just prepare to be disappointed. I had no desire to eat there.
There is couple of good por kilo restaurants in the city centre along Rua Alm. Barroso. You will find churrascarias, burgers and pizza as well.

To the falls:
There is a huge visitors centre on the Brazilian site, right before entering the area. You will get plenty of information there as it is well organized. It reminded me strongly of most American national park i've visited. Since it is very regulated, there are no real insider tips to give. Just enjoy! :)

Is two full days enough time to properly see the falls? We will be staying at the Belmond, so we should be right close by. Thx!