FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brazil (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil-678/)
-   -   Visa not needed for US, Canadian, Japan and Australian citizens starting on June 17 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil/1961718-visa-not-needed-us-canadian-japan-australian-citizens-starting-june-17-a.html)

boboqui Mar 20, 2019 5:49 am

Visa not needed for US, Canadian, Japan and Australian citizens starting on June 17

concordian Mar 22, 2019 2:53 pm

Perfect timing for my July Brazil trip(saved 160$)

Shareholder Apr 3, 2019 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by concordian (Post 30918146)
Perfect timing for my July Brazil trip(saved 160$)

Not for me. Just got one last month for my trip tomorrow. Thought I'd get a 5-yesr one too, though it's only C$120 for us Canadians (U$90).

zackery149 Apr 10, 2019 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 30962648)
Not for me. Just got one last month for my trip tomorrow. Thought I'd get a 5-yesr one too, though it's only C$120 for us Canadians (U$90).

Mine expires in May, my next trip in July. Does anyone know if this change is a sure thing for June? What I mean is, will it be some sort of administrative change as opposed to a legislative enactment requiring votes? Regulars to Brasil will understand why I ask!

ok, found this, so I guess its a sure thing:

An executive order issued by President Jair Bolsonaro will enter into force on June 17, 2019 and is expected to increase the foreign tourist flow into Brazil. The visa exemption for citizens of the United States of America, Australia, Canada and Japan who wish to travel to Brazil was enacted on March 18, 2019. This will enable visitors from these four countries to enter Brazil without a visa. The order was signed by President Jair Bolsonaro, Foreign Minister Ernesto Araújo, Tourism Minister Marcelo Álvaro Antônio and Justice Minister Sérgio Moro.

VidaNaPraia Apr 10, 2019 7:49 pm

It's not on the consulate sites yet. They still have info about the e-visas.

behuman Apr 12, 2019 6:28 am

Originally Posted by zackery149 (Post 30985020)
United States of America, Australia, Canada and Japan.

Completely crazy to benefit citizens of rather "unfriendly" countries when it comes to Brazilians traveling...... South America will be more and more of a satellite to the north of the continent.
Had a lot of respect of countries giving especially US and Australian citizens somewhat a hard time.

concordian Apr 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by behuman (Post 30992097)
Completely crazy to benefit citizens of rather "unfriendly" countries when it comes to Brazilians traveling...... South America will be more and more of a satellite to the north of the continent.
Had a lot of respect of countries giving especially US and Australian citizens somewhat a hard time.

Don't compare governments with people. Brazil is not getting the tourist dollars it deserves now and with this visa-free travel, it will benefit more(I am taking a trip because of change and will enjoy Iguazu falls from both sides, otherwise going to Argentina only).

VidaNaPraia Apr 13, 2019 11:56 am

Originally Posted by concordian (Post 30993732)
Don't compare governments with people. Brazil is not getting the tourist dollars it deserves now and with this visa-free travel, it will benefit more(I am taking a trip because of change and will enjoy Iguazu falls from both sides, otherwise going to Argentina only).

IMO anyone who can't afford the U$44 for an e-visa for Brazil probably can't afford to travel.

3544quebec Apr 13, 2019 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia (Post 30996488)
IMO anyone who can't afford the U$44 for an e-visa for Brazil probably can't afford to travel.

Good thing that you are not in charge of making everyone's budgetary decisions then.

zackery149 Apr 27, 2019 9:33 pm

I stumbled across this site, presumably, according to the person that sited it, used by Delta to query visa requirements.

https://skyteam.traveldoc.aero

When I checked my country, Canada, using dates in May, a visa is required. For dates in July, it indicated no visa was required.

I checked using an IATA site and says visa is required for Cdn pp , so, I will be checking the Brazil consulate I use and the airline well before an upcoming July trip.

romero89sc May 22, 2019 10:09 am

If I am travelling on a red eye from MIA (departing June 16), arriving to GIG on June 17th, I would be exempt from visa requirements, right?
I'm assuming the June 17 date is for date of arrival, not date of departure.

VidaNaPraia May 24, 2019 6:42 pm

That's something to ask the airline, since it is they who make the decision not to allow you to board if they are not certain of your visa status.

TominLazybrook May 25, 2019 11:17 am

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia (Post 30996488)

We decided not to go to Brazil because of visa hassles and just stayed on the ARG side at Iguazu.

Its not just the finacial considerations but the hassle factor.

Brazil has it charms, but it is plagued by generalized violence, corruption, bureaucratic hurdles, relatively poor customer service standards, and is relatively expensive compared to other destinations. Also with the new regime (and their far right wing supporters - who unlike in the USA and in Europe - appear to be concentrated in areas likely to see tourism) announcing extreme hostility towards LGBT persons, visible minorities, and non Christians, Brazil may find some difficulty with their tourism industry.

Furthermore, other than Rio and Salvador, Brazil's cities arent really top level destinations. There are some nice beaches, but there are lots of other beaches that are nicer. The Amazon...okay, but Iquitos is closer and easier.

The Americans, Australians, and Canadians that can go on 12+ hour flights to travel to a place like Brazil are usually high net worth tourists. There is competition for those tourists and Brazil has some definate disadvantages. It makes sense to not needlessly add additional disadvantages to try to get visa free travel for rich Brazilians, which their policy wasnt doing anything to bring about.

Esmjb Jul 4, 2019 6:11 am

“These early trials led to the implementation of an e-visa program in 2018 for those same countries, which resulted in a 35 percent increase in visa applications and an estimated economic impact of $1 billion from the additional visa recipients over the past year, according to data from the Ministry of Tourism.”

But reciprocity! I don’t know how trustful that billion dollar number is but even if it’s off by a factor of two that is still a lot of extra cash being dumped into the country. And it sounds like they need it. Full article below:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/04/t...sultPosition=4

Ericontour Jul 26, 2019 5:30 am

How about people from the northern Europa? Do we need visa or anything?