Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Big event(s) in Sao Paulo Feb 25-Mar -3?

Old Feb 21, 19, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold, UA 1K

I've been trying all day to book travel to GRU next week and the returns on Fri and Sat (Mar 01-02) are completely sold out. Does anyone know of anything big going on? I know Carnival is Mar 2-5, but I didn't think so many people would be trying to get away from the city for it.
Old Feb 21, 19, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by zpaul View Post
I've been trying all day to book travel to GRU next week and the returns on Fri and Sat (Mar 01-02) are completely sold out. Does anyone know of anything big going on? I know Carnival is Mar 2-5, but I didn't think so many people would be trying to get away from the city for it.

rsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsrs
Anything big?
Carnaval ( Friday March 1 to Tuesday March 5, but Salvador usually starts on Thursday before and Rio goes to March 9 with the Winner's Parade on that Saturday) is one of the most popular travel times in Brazil, not just to cities/towns that are known for their Carnaval celebrations, but every beach village or mountain retreat in the country.
Old Feb 21, 19, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post
rsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsrs
Anything big?
Carnaval ( Friday March 1 to Tuesday March 5, but Salvador usually starts on Thursday before and Rio goes to March 9 with the Winner's Parade on that Saturday) is one of the most popular travel times in Brazil, not just to cities/towns that are known for their Carnaval celebrations, but every beach village or mountain retreat in the country.
As I mentioned, I know about Carnaval (even though I misspelled it) and your post would argue that flights TO GRU would be full; what surprises me is the lack of seats on flights OUT of GRU on all airlines to all US destinations and Toronto on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (Feb 28-Mar 2). I've been going down every other week for the last two months, not to mention many times prior to this current project, and I've never had so much trouble finding a non-stop flight back to the USA. Other destinations are wide open (SCL, LIM, BOG, LHR, for example, but trying to book connections through them take the flights out of budget) so I was wondering if there was something specific going on the week of Feb 25 that would require so many people to go or return to the US on those days.

Although I am one to leave town when massive events come to the city, so perhaps there are a lot of Sao Paulo residents trying to flee Carnaval...?
Old Feb 22, 19, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by zpaul View Post
As I mentioned, I know about Carnaval (even though I misspelled it) and your post would argue that flights TO GRU would be full; what surprises me is the lack of seats on flights OUT of GRU on all airlines to all US destinations and Toronto on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (Feb 28-Mar 2). I've been going down every other week for the last two months, not to mention many times prior to this current project, and I've never had so much trouble finding a non-stop flight back to the USA. Other destinations are wide open (SCL, LIM, BOG, LHR, for example, but trying to book connections through them take the flights out of budget) so I was wondering if there was something specific going on the week of Feb 25 that would require so many people to go or return to the US on those days.

Although I am one to leave town when massive events come to the city, so perhaps there are a lot of Sao Paulo residents trying to flee Carnaval...?

Perhaps you misunderstood the wording of my post.
Carnaval is high travel season for most Brazilians, not only to locations that have a Carnaval celebration (Sao Paulo is not considered a major Carnaval spot, although its celebration has been getting larger--the big 3 are Rio, Salvador and Recife/Olinda), but also to any popular beach or mountain destination. What part of the Brazilian population has more disposable income for leisure travel than the workers in business-oriented Sao Paulo? Many of them may also use the time off to travel out of the country, perhaps for an extended beach and/or shopping trip to Miami or NYC.

Have you tried flights through PTY?
Also be aware that in Brazil the closer to departure, the more expensive flights get.
Old Feb 23, 19, 3:16 am

To add, not all Brazilians love carnaval. Some hate it (same with soccer). Plus there are parties that start like a month before actual carnaval so they can get their fill at those and then Airbnb their place for top dollar during carnaval which will more than cover a trip abroad.
Old Feb 24, 19, 12:59 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
And regarding flights out of GRU to US (or anywhere). During carnival, Brazilians get 2.5 days off work, so it's the perfect time to take a 1-2 week vacation to anywhere in the world... I myself have flights to LHR booked nearly a year in advance on March 1.
zpaul likes this.
Old Feb 26, 19, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RafKa View Post
And regarding flights out of GRU to US (or anywhere). During carnival, Brazilians get 2.5 days off work, so it's the perfect time to take a 1-2 week vacation to anywhere in the world... I myself have flights to LHR booked nearly a year in advance on March 1.
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. I keep calling to try to get my flight out changed to Fri or Sat and there's just nothing available so far. Guess I'll have to soak up a little more local flavor!
RafKa likes this.

Search this Thread