Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Need help regarding transatlantic GIG connection from AEP-GIG flight.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH*G, FB*G, IC *free minibar*, SLH, RC 5C-Club, LHW, and a lot of others

I am about to book a connection flight from Buenos Aires AEP to Rio de Janeiro GIG to catch a longhair flight on LH from GIG to FRA. We are 4 people traveling and we are now facing the question if AR1220, departing AEP at 1pm and getting into GIG at 4.55pm would work for us? The LH flight is non cancelable and hence we cant rebook it in case the AR flight gets canceled etc. The earlier AR flights leaves at around 6.40am - which may be quite a bit early.

What do you guys think, would AR1220 work or shall we better take the early morning flight to be sure to catch the onward LH flight.

As a side note, I checked EF and bags can be interlined from AR to LH; also both airlines fly into terminal 2 at GIG airport.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I would be leery about trusting Aerolineas Argentinas for a separate ticket connection to a longhaul

The LH flight leaves GIG at 2040 for the next few months, then 1940 for a few weeks, so you've got 3h45 at best

Could you fly the day before and enjoy a day in Rio without the stress?
JDiver and flo_147 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We have moved your query from the FlyerTalk Cares forum to the Brazil forum, as it’s about connecting in GIG.

Obrigado.

JDiver, Moderator
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH*G, FB*G, IC *free minibar*, SLH, RC 5C-Club, LHW, and a lot of others
Well, we are flying from FTE to AEP on Feb 2nd in the morning (8am) and we will arrive there around 11am. Then we thought about staying 1 additional day in Buenos Aires as a buffer. The last time I flew that route the flight was delayed by 10+ hrs and hence I thought I better add a buffer day in Buenos Aires. Yet, I may should continue onwards to GIG and stay there from Feb 2nd to 3rd instead of staying close to AEP. What ya think - buffer day at AEP or GIG?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I'd take the earliest flight to GIG that I could. As long as you've got 4 hours at a minimum I think you'll be fine. The Star Alliance lounge they have is new, quite large, never busy, and very, very nice.

Flown thru there with and without checked luggage over 100 times myself.The bag smashers are notoriously slow IMHO. And, I expect airport security to he ramped up significantly (which means it will get slower) due to the expected anti-corruption/drug trafficking position of Mito's new government.

Last edited by KDS777; Nov 3, 2018 at 11:53 am
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KDS777
I'd take the earliest flight to GIG that I could. As long as you've got 4 hours at a minimum I think you'll be fine. The Star Alliance lounge they have is new, quite large, never busy, and very, very nice.

Flown thru there with and without checked luggage over 100 times myself.The bag smashers are notoriously slow IMHO. And, I expect airport security to he ramped up significantly (which means it will get slower) due to the expected anti-corruption/drug trafficking position of Mito's new government.
So you would take the 6.40 am flight which gets in at around 10ish over the 1pm, which gets in at 4.55pm. Taking the 1pm flight would give me 3:40 hours layover.
Thx!
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You won’t have a connection, so if you no-show, your LH will auto-cancel.
Often1 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Originally Posted by flo_147
So you would take the 6.40 am flight which gets in at around 10ish over the 1pm, which gets in at 4.55pm. Taking the 1pm flight would give me 3:40 hours layover.
Thx!
So the choices are roughly a 10 hour layover versus 3:40..........I'd take the flight that gives me at least a 4-6 hours minimum layover as I like to hang out in the GIG *A lounge (I've killed 3-5 hours in their easily) as well as check out the boutiques in the renovated terminal, etc. Also, you are talking about flying in February and "there may be" different security measures in effect by then.

Having said that, I never check bags either. But that's me. Would I risk a 3:40 layover connection with checked bags at GIG (which is a major drug source airport and knowing how glacially slow their bag smashers are) while flying to Europe, no I would not. But, then again, that's just me, and perhaps I am over thinking it and erring on the side of caution.

Tough call.

Last edited by KDS777; Nov 4, 2018 at 11:35 am
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:36 pm

Buy travel insurance.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by boboqui
Buy travel insurance.
And if you do, make sure it covers no-shows on separate tickets!
Often1 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a matter of risk tolerance. Of course the shorter transfer time is "doable." Rather, the issue is that if OP and family no show for their LH flight, they will lose their tickets.

If there is a delay on the inbound, the risk is OP's, not the carrier's. Thus, he must choose a transfer time which suits his risk. In light of the downside, e.g. having to purchase new tickets at walkup prices, one would think that a lengthy transfer time is appropriate.

When reviewing travel insurance policies, be certain to remember that this is not a connection. Very few policies will cover transfers between two tickets, so OP should be careful with the terms and their definitions.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
When reviewing travel insurance policies, be certain to remember that this is not a connection. Very few policies will cover transfers between two tickets, so OP should be careful with the terms and their definitions.
The Worldwide Trip Protector Lite insurance plan from United States Fire Insurance Company for my upcoming trip lists the following benefits/limits:

Trip Cancellation Up to 100% Trip Cost*
Trip Interruption Up to 100% Trip Cost*
Travel Delay $300 ($100/day)
Missed Connection $300
Change Fee $250
Reimbursement of Miles or Reward Points $250
Baggage & Personal Effects $750**
Baggage Delay $200
Accident & Sickness Medical Expense $10,000
Emergency Medical Evacuation and Repatriation $100,00

I’m guessing that “missing connection” is not covered under “trip interruption”, the limit for “missed connection” is a mere $300, and I don’t see “missing transfers”?

Last edited by boboqui; Nov 4, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Good points guys! Thanks a lot!
My travel insurance covers up to 1200 USD in missed connections, which means when I am not able to take a flight due to a delay in the feeder flight.
Anyways, I also checked Expertflyer and it seems like AR has an interline agreement with LH. Does that mean - even though I am on 2 separate tickets - I can interline from AR to LH all the way and do not leave the airport or does that only apply to flights booked on one ticket?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flo_147
Good points guys! Thanks a lot!
My travel insurance covers up to 1200 USD in missed connections, which means when I am not able to take a flight due to a delay in the feeder flight.
Anyways, I also checked Expertflyer and it seems like AR has an interline agreement with LH. Does that mean - even though I am on 2 separate tickets - I can interline from AR to LH all the way and do not leave the airport or does that only apply to flights booked on one ticket?
As we have already told you, you don't have a connection, you have two separate flight. You need to explicitly check whether your travel insurance covers this. Some do, some don't, and those that do usually have wording in the policy that the amount of time between the two separate flights is reasonable. For example, even if your insurance covered these self-constructed connections, it will not pay out if one flight is due to arrive at 1155 and the next flight you booked departs at 1200.

Interline agreements relate to one ticket bookings. AR may check your luggage all the way through, but there is no guarantee (and I doubt they will do so.)
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Well, under these circumstances I guess I will not stay in Buenos Aires overnight and will commence my travel onwards to GIG, where I then stay overnight.

Travel schedule would then be:

FTE - AEP; 08:00 - 10:55 on AR1875
AEP - GIG; 13:00 - 16:55 on AR1220

At least, I should not have any problems with checked bags then. Connection may be a bit tight, but there are some later flights on GOL as well, which I theoretically could take and make the travel insurance pay for it.

Guess that's overall better than staying in Buenos Aires or what do you guys think ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.