Reload this Page >

CPTM Airport Express in operation?

Old Oct 8, 18, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M Senator, BAEC Gold GL, TK Gold

Hi folks,
after various delays the airport express from GRU to Luz Station was supposed to be openend last week. I found news online about a nice opening with the vip but also issues about signalling, etc. How is the situation there and is this train in operation?

Thanks
Christian
Old Oct 9, 18, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by chrini1 View Post
Hi folks,
after various delays the airport express from GRU to Luz Station was supposed to be openend last week. I found news online about a nice opening with the vip but also issues about signalling, etc. How is the situation there and is this train in operation?

Thanks
Christian
It's slated for "October", which in Brazil means either in October, or by the end of the year at the latest, unless the deadline slips again... Frankly, I find it a bit pointless as it runs only 4 times a day (8am, 10am, 12pm and 10pm). Speaking of pointless, I just can't believe it took 20+ years to get the metro to GRU, and then it doesn't reach any terminals directly, but requires a transfer by bus.

Article (in Portuguese):
https://viagemeturismo.abril.com.br/materias/trem-para-o-aeroporto-de-guarulhos-deve-ser-inaugurado-ate-abril/

Last edited by RafKa; Oct 9, 18 at 11:39 am
Old Oct 10, 18, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M Senator, BAEC Gold GL, TK Gold
I read this source as well. The issue is still that there does not seem to be a reliable source. I am still looking for the best way to get to Luz without changing and not using a taxi.
Old Oct 15, 18, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by chrini1 View Post
I read this source as well. The issue is still that there does not seem to be a reliable source. I am still looking for the best way to get to Luz without changing and not using a taxi.
According to this source, service starts tomorrow: only operates Mon-Fri, 5 trains each way. From Luz it's 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, 10pm. Pretty pathetic.

https://www.panrotas.com.br/aviacao/...ca_159547.html
chrini1 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 18, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by RafKa View Post
. Speaking of pointless, I just can't believe it took 20+ years to get the metro .... and then it doesn't reach any terminals directly, but requires a transfer by bus.
Same with the metro in Salvador. Stops just short of the airport.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding the service in Sao Paulo, my Brazilian friends who live in the city and travel seem to think it's next to useless.
Old Oct 17, 18, 1:42 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Originally Posted by RafKa View Post
According to this source, service starts tomorrow: only operates Mon-Fri, 5 trains each way. From Luz it's 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, 10pm. Pretty pathetic.

https://www.panrotas.com.br/aviacao/...ca_159547.html
That's how most rail/metro services in Brazil start working - first a soft launch and then at some point they expand to full service. The idea is to work out all the kinks. Personally, not a fan of this approach.
Old Oct 17, 18, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post
Regarding the service in Sao Paulo, my Brazilian friends who live in the city and travel seem to think it's next to useless.
In it's current form, with 5 trips each way, I would definitely agree. On the other hand, if they manage to ramp up the service to perhaps 4-5 times per hour, then in the interest of saving the R$80-odd for a ride into the city and 2h stuck in rush hour traffic, then the bus ride to the terminal could be tolerable.
Old Jan 16, 19, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Any more recent reports? I understand the local trains run every 20 minutes or so but just to an interim station where on must transfer to another line to get the Luz and/or various subway lines. Hard to fully comprehend the web site of either the airport or the commuter train system.
Old Jan 17, 19, 1:38 pm

Just back from GRU. You must take a bus from the terminal to Line 13. The trains run every 20 mins on weekdays, 30 on weekends. From there, you must take it to a transfer station, where you can transfer to Line 12, and any other lines on the network. Line 12 runs more frequently than Line 13. Quite a poor setup for now.
Old Jan 23, 19, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Thanks for the update. Assume the transfer station is still Eng Goulart? Or is it Bras? Luz would be for the limited service Express?
Old Jan 24, 19, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
Thanks for the update. Assume the transfer station is still Eng Goulart? Or is it Bras? Luz would be for the limited service Express?
Eng Goulart
Old Apr 9, 19, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a further update for others. Did the rail link from Paulista to GRU via metro and commuter rail on Sunday, the day when schedules are very limited. The Express only operates weekdays from Luz on a limited schedule as noted above. The commuter link service at Bras does not run on weekends so one must take the Sapphire line to Eng Goulart and pick up the local Jade line train to GRU. Bras is the main link station to the metro/subway system and other commuter rail lines. There are free transfers between all lines so the weekday fare for the non-Express is R$4.30 and R$4 on weekends. The Express is R$8.60 from Luz. So it's quite the bargain if you have limited luggage, you have the time and your hotel is near a metro/subway station. Although the final lap to GRU is quick, the rides on regular trains can be long and crowded, with uncertain connection waits. But for a buck...quite the bargain!

Search this Thread