Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Vitem I (cultural visa) - FBI background check?

Old Apr 20, 18, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!

It looks like I get to spend some time in Brazil under a "cultural" visa. The NY consulate says that I'll need to submit an FBI background check. The FBI provides background check results in the form of a downloadable document. Is my printout of that document going to satisfy the Brazilian consulate? Or are they going to want a version mailed by the FBI? Or even worse, an apostille from the US State Department?
Old Apr 23, 18, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), SPG/MR LTPP, HH Diamond, LeClubAccor Gold, UA Silver, Azul Safira
Being such a specific question, I would reccommend getting in touch directly with your nearest, which should be able to give you a definitive answer.
Old Apr 23, 18, 6:56 pm

If you meant to say "nearest Consulate", just FYI they (the Brazilian Consulates in the US anyway) do not answer their published phone number, and answer emails in the most general terms, which is usually not helpful.

This is the criminal background check requirement for the marriage in Brazil of a foreigner to a Brazilian:
"Certified Criminal Record Check / Police Conduct Certificate issued in country where you reside, may not be more than 90 days before submission or not considered valid. This document must also be "legalized" by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in the country of issue."
It may be similar for the OP's situation.
OP, if you're in Westchester and can go into the NYC Consulate in person, that may be the easiest way to get a definitive answer.

Btw Vitem I is to:
Pursue scientific, technologic, or volunteer activities under the umbrella of an international cooperation program.
Pursue professorial studies/research/ teaching and/or pursue scientific/technologic activities at a university, research center, or similar organization.
Is that "cultural"?

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Apr 23, 18 at 7:12 pm
Old Apr 24, 18, 6:49 am
Original Poster

If I had infinite time, I'd go down to the Brazilian consulate and ask them. But based on previous experience with them, I'd probably have to wait for a long time. And it's not exactly easy for me to get down to midtown - I'd have to take most of the day off to do it. My sponsors in Brazil have already emailed the consulate to ask specific questions about this, but that was days ago, with no response yet.

One of the questions they want to ask is "which visa should snic apply for?" - they're pretty sure it's Vitem I, but as yet they don't know. At this point I'm just going to let them figure it out. It's very likely that the correct visa won't be a regular tourist/business visa (which is unfortunate, as I already have a 10 year regular visa), and the only instruction about other visas that seems ambiguous to me is to submit an FBI report. These are now delivered online much faster than the mailed version. But printed copies won't have an ink signature, and I am suspicious that the consulate will reject it.
Old Apr 24, 18, 12:26 pm

Location: Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C via Boston via New York
Yes for a VITEM visa you need a FBI background check, trust me I've got 3 visas for Brazil, each time I had to visit an expediter to have it done. The expediters should be listed on the consulates website, if not search around HPN. The printout is fine to give to the consulate. You'll go in, show your passport, they run your prints and by the time you walk out you'll have an email with a code that links to your FBI background check.
Old Apr 25, 18, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2 View Post
Yes for a VITEM visa you need a FBI background check, trust me I've got 3 visas for Brazil, each time I had to visit an expediter to have it done. The expediters should be listed on the consulates website, if not search around HPN. The printout is fine to give to the consulate. You'll go in, show your passport, they run your prints and by the time you walk out you'll have an email with a code that links to your FBI background check.
Thanks!