FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brazil (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil-678/)
-   -   Is an offline transfer from Passaredo to SAA viable in 1h55? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil/1899975-offline-transfer-passaredo-saa-viable-1h55.html)

checkerboard Mar 21, 2018 3:26 pm

Is an offline transfer from Passaredo to SAA viable in 1h55?

Originally, I'd been planning a trip from RAO to JNB with LATAM, using their Passaredo-operated codeshare from RAO to GRU, and the JJ-operated flight to South Africa, all booked as a single ticket. Connection would have been tight (1:55), but my bags would have been checked through, and LATAM sold it as a normal connection, so I guess it would have been fine.

However - due to an idiotic travel agent, I just found out that, instead, I've been booked on Hahn Air Systems from RAO to GRU (operated, by the very same Passaredo aircraft), connecting onto the SAA operated service to JNB - and this, on separate tickets, albeit in a single PNR.

I called Passaredo to be sure, and they confirmed that there's no interlining in this case - so I'll be obliged to collect my bags and change terminals with the bus.

My question: presuming the Passaredo flight is on time, is this connection even physically possible to do in the time allowed? And if there's a delay on the Passaredo flight, does ANAC oblige either airline to help me out? [Same PNR isn't the same as same ticket - but maybe, some protections still kick-in]

RafKa Mar 23, 2018 8:19 am

I'd say your chances of making it with checked baggage (assuming the Passaredo flight is on time) would be close to 10%. Most international flights in Brazil close bag drop (assuming you've OLCI) at T-60 but some (and SAA may be included here) do so at T-90.

Can't advise you on the PNR question.

FairDinkumMate Mar 25, 2018 12:41 pm

Passaredo use Terminal 1 at Guarulhos & SAA use Terminal 3. In my experience, luggage is usually pretty quick at Terminal 1 because it's such a small terminal. You could help yourself out by talking to the Passaredo staff at RAO and try & get your bag as close to last on board as possible, so it'll come off first at GRU.

If SAA allow check-in up to 1 hour before, I think you'll make it. You may need to grab a taxi from Terminal 1 to get to Terminal 3, depending on how you're doing timewise.

checkerboard Mar 26, 2018 6:29 am

Originally Posted by FairDinkumMate (Post 29565333)
If SAA allow check-in up to 1 hour before, I think you'll make it.

Really hope you are right. I'll wear good shoes and run like the wind.

To satisfy my curiosity though, I've had a look on a few different OTAs, and the only way to purchase this combination of flights is when both are marketed by LATAM (and even then, some flag it as a tight connection). None that I saw would offer this Passaredo -> SAA combination sold under any other combination of flight numbers, I suppose because the offline transfer isn't within MCT.

Crazy the agency sold it this way...would have thought such a booking wouldn't even process.