FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brazil (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil-678/)
-   -   Getting from GRU to Campinas on December 24 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil/1897482-getting-gru-campinas-december-24-a.html)

HalconBCN Mar 7, 2018 5:37 am

Getting from GRU to Campinas on December 24

I am looking to book a flight landing in Sao Paolo at 7pm on December 24 (Christmas Eve) and go direct from there to Campinas for the holiday celebrations.
Can anyone advise if
- Public buses from GRU to Campinas will be running around 8pm on December 24? Or from Tiete?
- An Uber or taxi might be willing to take me to Campinas and what the cost might be?
Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it.

KDS777 Mar 7, 2018 8:44 am

A helicopter is what I would probably do if I was alone. It's a 120 km distance, and the Uber/taxi driver is gonna want to get paid for time/distance/surge fares, etc. It could take 2 hours to drive on a normal day, December 24 is Christmas Eve and it's the one day when everybody is trying to go and see someone else........heh.

Now, it's 30 minutes by chopper. You just need to get picked up, or have a taxi waiting at the helipad when you arrive.

I've taken heli-taxi's in Sampa at rush hour.

HalconBCN Mar 7, 2018 11:20 am

Since the 24th is the big day in Brazil I would expect traffic to be pretty fluid by 8pm; people would have left earlier in the day.
A helicopter certainly sounds like a fast (and cool) option, but not sure it's practical and I think the cost would be exorbitant?
I have taken a bus from GRU to Campinas several times and it's good; takes 90 minutes in normal traffic so I would probably take the bus if it were running?
Otherwise I would get a taxi/Uber hence my question of whether a driver would be willing to go to Campinas and what the cost might be?

KDS777 Mar 8, 2018 7:55 am

The car could be a R$250 +/- fare based solely on what I have read on Tripadvisor, Lonely Planet, etc, .......now, you can probably get a helicopter ride for a similar amount, maybe more, I don't know, based on my past experience doing so just while flying within GRU, which is why I threw the idea out there. You'll need to check though as I am just speculating, since I've never flown from GRU-VCP by chopper. Check out this site.

https://www.voom.flights/pt

I also thought heli-taxis were too much money, until I took my first ride. Sao Paulo and area probably has the biggest heli-taxi industry in the world, it's very competitive.

Of course slogging it to the rodoviaria is always an option. Never been in GRU Christmas Eve traffic before, but I've been in Rio de Janeiro Christmas Eve traffic over 10 times, and it's a hell of a ride. :D

HalconBCN Mar 9, 2018 7:23 am

I love the idea of the helitaxi for getting around Sampa (never tried it!) and 250 reails would be fine but I don't think that price will be available on Xmas eve; it would be a multiple of that. Also I need to get to Sousas, which is 20KM outside of Campinas. I checked Voom and there is no helipoint in Campinas or Viracopos.
So I think a car/taxi will be the right option. Just need to work out how to book and at what cost 😊

KDS777 Mar 9, 2018 8:27 am

Really ? Wow, you'd think the largest cargo airport in Brasil would have a helipad.

Have a good trip !! I'll be going down to GIG for Christmas this year myself.

RafKa Mar 12, 2018 2:13 pm

According to the Uber website, the estimate between GRU and Sousas is R$ 169 - 223. The estimates are usually reliable, although it's anyone's guess if there'll be surge pricing at the time: from experience in Rio going to family for Xmas eve, surge pricing tends to kick in after xmas supper (11pm). I'm pretty sure there'll be buses operating normally between GRU and VCP.

https://www.uber.com/pt-BR/fare-estimate/

KDS777 Mar 14, 2018 10:54 am

FWIW........I got surged by Uber at around 900 PM going from Copa to Barra a year ago on Christmas Eve.

HalconBCN Mar 15, 2018 8:09 am

Originally Posted by KDS777 (Post 29524260)
FWIW........I got surged by Uber at around 900 PM going from Copa to Barra a year ago on Christmas Eve.

How painful was the surge? How long is that journey? :)

KDS777 Mar 15, 2018 9:35 am

I tried to look it up, but the Uber app has a problem loading trip history right now, IIRC it was around R$120............

HalconBCN Mar 16, 2018 11:46 am

How long of a journey was that? Was it from GIG or SDU?
120 sounds fair given the distance and time ...

RafKa Mar 16, 2018 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by HalconBCN (Post 29532589)

Not at all comparable. Copacabana to Barra is around 20km. Your planned journey is 120km.

Is renting a car an option? A one-way rental for 1 day would set you back R$200-300 and would at least remove the potential for bad surprises wrt to costs or travel times.

KDS777 Mar 16, 2018 1:42 pm

Posto 4 in Copacabana to Barra beside the Downtown Mall.

It can feel like you are driving 120 km distance on some days though :D

pptano Apr 9, 2018 10:07 am

Originally Posted by HalconBCN (Post 29495269)
I am looking to book a flight landing in Sao Paolo at 7pm on December 24 (Christmas Eve) and go direct from there to Campinas for the holiday celebrations.
Can anyone advise if
- Public buses from GRU to Campinas will be running around 8pm on December 24? Or from Tiete?
- An Uber or taxi might be willing to take me to Campinas and what the cost might be?
Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it.

There is a direct bus from GRU to Campinas downtown and terminal bus. It costs R$ 36,00

www[dot]lirabus[dot]com[dot]br/translados/

Look for "Cumbica para Campinas" to see schedules time.