Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Any tourism guidance for Manaus?

Old Jan 16, 18, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So there's this sweet award travel deal on AA for Manaus: 35,000 miles roundtrip in coach during certain times of the year (a steal, especially since the published roundtrips from the USA are close to $2000). I have 5 available days later this year for vacation, plugged those days into the AA award mapper, and voila -- Manaus popped up. AA operates a nonstop from MIA, so it's an efficient trip.

Other than knowing that the city was in the middle of the Amazon, I knew nothing about it. But I've now done a little online reading, and I can tell that there are plenty of multi-day trips into the Amazon from Manaus. The reviews on tripadvisor tend to be favorable, and nothing looks terribly expensive.

Has anyone ever gone? Any suggestions? We've already got our Brazilian tourist visas, so that's not a problem.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 16, 18, 5:43 pm
Used to be highman123

Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
So there's this sweet award travel deal on AA for Manaus: 35,000 miles roundtrip in coach during certain times of the year (a steal, especially since the published roundtrips from the USA are close to $2000). I have 5 available days later this year for vacation, plugged those days into the AA award mapper, and voila -- Manaus popped up. AA operates a nonstop from MIA, so it's an efficient trip.

Other than knowing that the city was in the middle of the Amazon, I knew nothing about it. But I've now done a little online reading, and I can tell that there are plenty of multi-day trips into the Amazon from Manaus. The reviews on tripadvisor tend to be favorable, and nothing looks terribly expensive.

Has anyone ever gone? Any suggestions? We've already got our Brazilian tourist visas, so that's not a problem.

Thanks for the help.
I wrote a little guide here.

https://www.mightytravels.com/2016/0...-do-in-manaus/

I thought the Amazon cruise was pretty cool (and would do it longer this time) but besides that Manaus is rather scary.
Old Jan 16, 18, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MightyTravels View Post
I wrote a little guide here.

https://www.mightytravels.com/2016/0...-do-in-manaus/

I thought the Amazon cruise was pretty cool (and would do it longer this time) but besides that Manaus is rather scary.
Thanks for the interesting read. Yeah, I wasn't really looking to spend significant time in Manaus itself: I just want to use it as a departure point for a soft-adventure Amazon tour.
Old Jan 17, 18, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat, Nat EE
While I have no experience with the subject city nor Amazon tours, I can offer one word of advice and that is on all of the tourism/travel forums I have read over the years, they always seem to have numerous complaint posts about the various tour companies. Seems there are a lot of shady operators out there. Or, employees of competitive companies are posting fake negative reviews of each other to muddy the waters.
Old Jan 18, 18, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
How long would you suggest doing an Amazon tour?
Old Jan 18, 18, 9:32 am
Used to be highman123

Originally Posted by aaflyer93 View Post
How long would you suggest doing an Amazon tour?
I'd push further West for a few days with an experienced, good guide. Getting one isn't easy though...The guide on my last tour suggested a one week ride almost all the way to Colombia. That would be a great adventure!
Old Jan 18, 18, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MightyTravels View Post
I'd push further West for a few days with an experienced, good guide. Getting one isn't easy though...The guide on my last tour suggested a one week ride almost all the way to Colombia. That would be a great adventure!
Folks do seem quite satisfied with the 3 and 4 day Amazon trips out of Manaus. "Upstream" seems to be more pleasant, "downstream" seems to have more wildlife. I'm undertaking a crash course in Amazon trip planning at the moment. And the trips aren't too expensive: like US$100/day, all in. Much better prices than I saw in the Pantanal (which does have much more wildlife, though).

This is certainly an interesting award destination for Americans with AA miles.
Old Jan 18, 18, 11:21 am

Been going to Brazil regularly for decades and never had an interest in seeing what one can see of the Amazon from Manaus. Seems very superficial. (Peru may be a much better starting point IMO.)
The "folks" you refer to may be those generally upscale ones who don't really want to get their feet dirty/wet, and don't seem to differentiate those local natives who allow their villages to be over-run by tourists from those who prefer to retain the integrity of their culture.
Horses for courses, as the saying goes.
Old Feb 6, 18, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), SPG/MR LTPP, HH Diamond, LeClubAccor Gold, UA Silver, Azul Safira
Folks do seem quite satisfied with the 3 and 4 day Amazon trips out of Manaus. "Upstream" seems to be more pleasant, "downstream" seems to have more wildlife. I'm undertaking a crash course in Amazon trip planning at the moment. And the trips aren't too expensive: like US$100/day, all in. Much better prices than I saw in the Pantanal (which does have much more wildlife, though).

This is certainly an interesting award destination for Americans with AA miles.
I did a 3 night stay at a lodge about 3hrs out of Manaus. I wouldn't call it "upscale" at all, more like a family-run B&B in the middle of the jungle. I especially liked the fact that the rainforest is flooded in the rainy season and a torch-lit night boat trip feels like flying over the tree tops. Something like a scene out of Avatar.

Lodge I stayed at was called Tariri, and like anywhere on the Rio Negro, there are no mosquitos!

Day trips from Manaus would be far too tiring, with the exception of the "meeting of the waters".
Old Feb 6, 18, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by RafKa View Post
I did a 3 night stay at a lodge about 3hrs out of Manaus. I wouldn't call it "upscale" at all, more like a family-run B&B in the middle of the jungle. I especially liked the fact that the rainforest is flooded in the rainy season and a torch-lit night boat trip feels like flying over the tree tops. Something like a scene out of Avatar.

Lodge I stayed at was called Tariri, and like anywhere on the Rio Negro, there are no mosquitos!

Day trips from Manaus would be far too tiring, with the exception of the "meeting of the waters".
Tariri Amazon Lodge looks real nice!
Old Feb 14, 18, 8:59 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I've been to Manaus and done an Amazon tour. I was looking forward to it but found it surprisingly boring. Other than the pink dolphins the visible wildlife was limited, and from ground/water level the forest isn't particularly spectacular. The takeoff from Manaus airport however was very scenic and you really got a sense of the vastness of the Amazon
Old Feb 14, 18, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
I've been to Manaus and done an Amazon tour. I was looking forward to it but found it surprisingly boring. Other than the pink dolphins the visible wildlife was limited, and from ground/water level the forest isn't particularly spectacular. The takeoff from Manaus airport however was very scenic and you really got a sense of the vastness of the Amazon
Thanks. Sadly, my flight to MIA is a redeye, so no view. I still need to book my tour. There are lots of happy tripadvisor reviews. Not sure if they're "realistic," though. I've been to the Amazon in Peru and recall that there's not much wildlife left. If you understand that, I don't think I'll be too disappointed.
Old Feb 14, 18, 3:50 pm

. There are lots of happy tripadvisor reviews.
....which may say more about the reviewers than the attractions.

The online destination forum there for Brazil has been particularly full of bad information and support for s*x tourism over the years.
Old Feb 15, 18, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), SPG/MR LTPP, HH Diamond, LeClubAccor Gold, UA Silver, Azul Safira
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
If you travel to the Amazon expecting a wildlife safari like what you would have in an African savannah, you’ll be setting yourself up for disappointment. The Amazon is huge, teeming with wildlife, but the forest cover is so thick that you are unlikely to spot much from a river bank. People travel to the Amazon to experience being in a unique, endangered ecosystem. Once you understand that, you will be much more able to manage your expectations.
Old Feb 15, 18, 7:59 am

The Brazilian destination for those wanting to see lots of wildlife is the Pantanal, particularly the northern Pantanal for jaguar sightings.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: