Wiki Posts
Search

changing money at the GIG airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

changing money at the GIG airport

I'm headed from GIG to Isla Grande, which I'm told is still largely a cash economy and where there are zero ATMs. So I'll need to get some reals when I arrive at the airport. I assume that (unlike in Argentina) the airport ATMs actually have cash to dispense? Anything weird about using them -- like high transaction fees or low cash withdrawal restrictions)? Where are the machines located?

When I return to GIG, I'll be leaving Brazil, and I may have some unspent reals with me that I'd like to dispose of. Can you easily sell reals at the airport, preferably at a decent rate without much (or any) commission? Where at the airport would I do this?

Thanks for the help!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
I have read that about half the places do take credit cards, however. But for little things you will need Reais on hand. There are numerous reports about skimming at the ATM's at GIG, don't know if the situation has improved. It might be simplest to just convert some funds before you travel.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:16 pm

The ATMs at GIG are notorious for getting your card cloned. Stay away.
There is an exchange window at GIG, but the rate is not good.

If you can detour into Copacabana and go to one of the casas de cambio, that would get you the best rate for exchanging cash dollars into reais.
Or go to an ATM inside a bank in Rio.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
The ATMs at GIG are notorious for getting your card cloned. Stay away.
There is an exchange window at GIG, but the rate is not good.

If you can detour into Copacabana and go to one of the casas de cambio, that would get you the best rate for exchanging cash dollars into reais.
Or go to an ATM inside a bank in Rio.
Skimming at the airport? Really? Wow. And I thought it was "nuts" that you couldn't get cash at EZE. I'd rather not get it than get my card compromised.

I guess I'll try to get cash elsewhere.

What about exchanging reals to dollars upon departure?

BTW, I will be transiting MIA. I assume exchanging dollars to reals there would yield a terrible rate.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME Brazil has a bigger spread between buy and sell rates than one typically sees with other currencies against the USA dollar. Also, when I tried to convert Brazilian money to Argentinian cash in Buenos Aires, I didn't seem to get a very good rate either (in an official exchange place, although I checked rates at several of them).

I agree with the advice to avoid the airport ATMs. Change USA dollars in cash if needed. Also, in Rio, be careful about people hanging around near ATMs and the doors of banks. Many hotels seem to have ATMs in their lobbies or business centers, but I didn't investigate fees.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 2:58 am

MSPeconomist is right.
I tried to change USD at GRU (Sao Paolo airport) and their commision was unbelievable 18%.
After that I refrained from changing anything at GIG (Rio).
At Copacabana, at licenced places, they were offering 3.10 reals per dollar ( the mid bank rate was 3.40). Not a good deal as the commision was thus 10%.
The best and only solution seems to be to use ATMs at safe locations ;-(
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abeyro
MSPeconomist is right.
I tried to change USD at GRU (Sao Paolo airport) and their commision was unbelievable 18%.
After that I refrained from changing anything at GIG (Rio).
At Copacabana, at licenced places, they were offering 3.10 reals per dollar ( the mid bank rate was 3.40). Not a good deal as the commision was thus 10%.
The best and only solution seems to be to use ATMs at safe locations ;-(
What about "turning in" your extra reals at GIG?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Don't buy Reais at the airport unless you have absolutely no choice. It's too expensive. Grab enough Reais to pay for your immediate needs at a bank or tourist cambio in the US before you leave. That is what I do if I run out of cash on hand before my next trip. I go there so much that I usually don't exchange money that often anyways, as I always have a little bankroll of leftover Reais here in Canada, and my bank accounts down there.

A month ago for fun I checked the exchange rate at the BANCO SAFRA kiosk located at arrivals in GIG, and they wanted to pay me 2.90 to change $1,000 USD so I told the guy it was too expensive and walked..............my usual cambio I have been using in Copacabana for years now paid me 3.10 about 2 hours later, when the official rate was 3.25 that day. Quite a difference.

ATM's limit you in the daily amount you can withdraw. Last time I used one (2 years ago) it was R$800 per day. This may or may not have changed. I don't know as I never use them as a rule.

It's even worse when you sell them back to them at the airport. Wait until you get home. Of course, all this depends on how much money you are talking about changing as well.......on $1,000 USD it matters.....on $100 it really doesn't.

Last edited by KDS777; Nov 15, 2017 at 9:19 pm
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks. It seems like GIG is truly terrible for any money exchange you'd want to do. Sigh.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
I wouldn’t freak out that much on ATMs... The situation has improved since the airport came under new management. To minimize chances of skimming, take some precautions: inspect the ATM, including testing the card slot by physically checking if it will “come off”, and cover your fingers when typing your PIN. Prefer the ATMs which are behind lockable doors (as these won’t stay open all night).
FlyingRabbit likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Based on the previous advice, I got my reals in Iguazu before arriving at GIG. But I thought the ATM machine I used was a terrible deal. In addition to an approximate US$8 fee, they also took a 3% commission (Schwab will pay the $8, but I think I'll have to eat the commission). Is this customary in Brazil? It sure seems like ATMs in South America are a bad deal compared to most of the rest of the world.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
What about "turning in" your extra reals at GIG?
Yes, there's a cambio office at GIG after the passport control (on the way to the gates, just after the labirynth of duty-free stalls).
This is substantial difference from EZE (Argentina) where they chose to provide no cambio airside :

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.