FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brazil (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil-678/)
-   -   Rampant crime in Rio - absolute chaos! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil/1859573-rampant-crime-rio-absolute-chaos.html)

boboqui Aug 8, 2017 5:03 am

Rampant crime in Rio - absolute chaos!

https://ogimg.infoglobo.com.br/in/21...n-mD0WkUp9.jpgThis is the road from the airport to Copacabana after another shoot-out.

Yesterday a British tourist was shot multiple times after her husband got lost and drove into a drug infested area, she was riding in the passenger seat with her three children in the back seat.

Crime has gotten so bad the army was called in to patrol the city streets. 91 cops murdered so far in Rio, another 90+ arrested, stray bullets makes victims almost every day.

I'm scared!

pmichelazzo Aug 8, 2017 6:25 am

Believe me, this is a common day in Rio.

zackery149 Aug 8, 2017 7:04 am

Originally Posted by pmichelazzo (Post 28662164)
Believe me, this is a common day in Rio.

Not really, pmiichelazzo; yes street shootouts have always been an occurance. But, there has been a serious shift in the degree of violent crime in Rio. The institutions are rotten, there is just no money to sustain the bloated salaries of the politically appointed top AND the civil servants that actually protect, teach , heal the sick, and it is the latter that are getting the short end of the stick.

pmichelazzo Aug 8, 2017 11:08 am

That why I left Brazil years ago. I can't imagine to have a gun on my head again.

Esmjb Aug 9, 2017 5:06 am

My wife's friend was the one who made the news about the pharmacy robbed in botafogo on Sunday (ish). She was kicked and pulled by her hair and had a gun pointed at her head and told several times by one of the gunmanen that he wanted to shoot her. Minors by the way. My response upon being told "well that's Brazil."...

KDS777 Sep 17, 2017 1:55 pm

I avoid Linha Vermelha like the plague for this and other reasons. There are better ways to get from GIG to the south zone than using it, regardless of the time of day.

Linha Vermelha commonly has issues with arrestaos from time to time, because you've got no where to go when they stop the traffic, you cannot get off as it, is an elevated freeway with next to no off ramps, and it's the same with certain tunnels too. If you frequent Rio a lot, you would know this. Those who do not, won't obviously. It is, what it is.

FWIW......I've been to Rio about 42 times now, was there last for 2 weeks in May, have a condo there, and have never been robbed or felt unsafe once. YMMV of course, anywhere in the world. It is not "absolute chaos" on the streets however.

VidaNaPraia Sep 18, 2017 8:42 am

Originally Posted by boboqui (Post 28661957)
Yesterday a British tourist was shot multiple times after her husband got lost and drove into a drug infested area, she was riding in the passenger seat with her three children in the back seat.

Although I have sympathy for these people, that is not what happened. They deliberately drove into a favela they did not know. They were too clue-less to understand that they weren't at home. They were told to leave and did not comply. Likely they did not speak or understand any Portuguese. What resulted from their lack of preparedness was a harsh comeuppance, but as the old Jobim saying goes "Brazil is not for beginners."
------------
And my "mileage", as KDS777, after 20+ years of regular extended visits to Brazil, is no problems whatsoever, often traveling solo, as a woman who does not look Brazilian.

KDS777 Sep 24, 2017 5:45 pm

Just to update the thread......landed at GIG today and just got back from one of my favorite restaurants here in Copacabana. Spent all day in the street walking around. There are no more police on the street than back in May, March, or December when I was here. It didn't feel any different either. Normal is how I would describe the ambiance.

I'm sure other areas may or may not be different, but since most visitors to the country only come here once, and read anecdotes online beforehand that were posted by other people who have only been here once.........you should do your due diligence first.

Other than the military going into Rocinha to quiiet things down after a major drug trafficker got popped last week, nothing has changed. And if you've been around here long enough you'll soon understand how the place works.

iahphx Sep 26, 2017 12:37 pm

So I've spent lots of time in South America, but very little time in Brazil, and I've never left the airport in Rio. I have a November trip to South America planned with my wife and daughter. We're going to be in Argentina and then up to Iguazu. I currently have a flight back to the USA from Rio, and need to decide whether we should spent some time in Brazil and whether we should visit Rio.

My wife, also a world traveler, is nervous about Rio. I can't really blame her -- there are lots of bad stories out there. We don't need "perfect safety" (like I don't think twice about visiting European cities that have regular terrorist attacks), but I also don't want to visit Rio if it's truly dangerous for tourists. For example, I know lots of people are shot in Chicago, but tourists who stick to downtown would never know this if they didn't read the media stories. We're obviously not going to have a good time if we have to be paranoid about safety.

So what's the real deal? Can we have a safe (short) enjoyable visit to Rio? Or should we skip it and spend our time elsewhere? If we do visit Rio, how should we arrange transport, where should we stay, and what should we do (and not do)? Thanks!

KDS777 Sep 26, 2017 3:39 pm

I was terrified the first time I came here because I read the internet and newspapers. A lot of things get incorrectly reported, mainly because you not only have the city of RJ with 15MM inhabitants, but the city also exists in the state of RJ as well. So, what hits the media can inaccurately be reported as RJ, but without identifying the city or the state.

Secondly, and this is food for thought. Within a 5 block radius of my condo in Copacabana there has not been anyone killed as far back as I can remember, and I am a block from the metro. Yet, over 6-7 people have been murdered within blocks of where I used to live in downtown Calgary. Go figure........

Most reported crime that hits the media is normally in a favela and consists of rival drug gangs dealing with internal issues. I have seen stupid gringos get gold chains ripped off their necks in broad daylight while walking the beach by teenagers.........once or twice in 15 years.........but the majority of petty crimes usually happen in the north zone of the city as well, because it is poorer. Just exercise the usual common sense you would in a large metropolitan city, leave the Rolex and LV purses at home and you'll be fine.

My battery is dying so I'll answer the rest of your questions tonight when I can get to my laptop.

Hopefully Vidanapraia will chime in as well.

mapboyPHL Sep 26, 2017 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 28861197)
So I've spent lots of time in South America, but very little time in Brazil, and I've never left the airport in Rio. I have a November trip to South America planned with my wife and daughter. We're going to be in Argentina and then up to Iguazu. I currently have a flight back to the USA from Rio, and need to decide whether we should spent some time in Brazil and whether we should visit Rio.

My wife, also a world traveler, is nervous about Rio. I can't really blame her -- there are lots of bad stories out there. We don't need "perfect safety" (like I don't think twice about visiting European cities that have regular terrorist attacks), but I also don't want to visit Rio if it's truly dangerous for tourists. For example, I know lots of people are shot in Chicago, but tourists who stick to downtown would never know this if they didn't read the media stories. We're obviously not going to have a good time if we have to be paranoid about safety.

So what's the real deal? Can we have a safe (short) enjoyable visit to Rio? Or should we skip it and spend our time elsewhere? If we do visit Rio, how should we arrange transport, where should we stay, and what should we do (and not do)? Thanks!

I felt the same way you did. I had a conference this summer in Belo Horizonte, but felt that seeing Rio was a 'must.' We stayed on Copacabana Beach and everyone told us how dangerous the city was, to be very careful 24 hours a day. When we arrived, I was frankly scared to leave the hotel. But, looking out on to the beach, there were all kinds of people (old, young, kids, running, walking their dogs, laughing, having a good time) everywhere.

We had an AWESOME guide (found on TripAdvisor - PM if you want details). He spent the day and showed us the main sights, which helped us get our bearings and understand the city/ area. He explained that yes, crime does happen, but in the more touristy parts it is more pick pocketing, etc. He said that we should not make our selves any kind of target (wear flashy jewelry, etc.). After that, we felt MUCH more comfortable there. We rented bikes and joined the thousands of other city residents riding along Copa and Ipanema beaches, we walked around and shopped in both of them, spent time on the beach, had a drink at an outside bar, went to a real Brazilian Steakhouse. I was so glad we stopped and spent a few days there. So, I cannot recommend Rio enough, just be careful of your surroundings.

KDS777 Sep 26, 2017 6:19 pm

To give you the most comfortable "feeling" and assuage any concerns as a first time visitor I would do recommend that you do the following:

1-When you exit customs in GIG you will walk thru the new and overpriced duty free store and then thru glass doors to the main terminal reception area. There will usually be a well dressed and attractive lady asking if you want a taxi. She works for Coopertramo, the large radio taxi company. Buy a prepaid ticket with her to your hotel in Copacabana. Ignore the other taxi shills as they will put you in a standard cab. They are not bad, and Uber is also here too, but on day 1 radio taxis are the best option for your first visit. The higher end hotels can also arrange a private driver to collect you at GIG. There are also staff there who are well marked that speak English and can assist you.

2- Copacabana has excellent hotels for all budgets. Ipanema is all 4-5 star and frankly overpriced in all aspects. A beach front view is most expensive obviously and a nice 3 star hotel that is 2 blocks off the beach can be had for 1/3 the price. If you want to go high end pick the new Marriott. Stay in the middle of the beach or in the area between Posto 4-6 towards Arpoador/Ipanema. All hotels have security.

3-Your hotel can arrange everything you need in terms of tours and personal assistance as they all have an English speaking person on staff.

In closing, it is a city of 15MM people, dirt poor and rich, with a large middle class. Like any other mega city in the world you simply don't do things here that you would not do somewhere else. Standard issue common sense.

My wife and I will no longer travel to Europe because of what it has become. She is a Brasilian and we live in Canada, but we are setting up to retire in Rio in the next 5-10 years. So, if we are going to live 6 mo of the year here, and 6 mo up there, personal safety is the least of our concerns in Brasil.

PM me about anything at anytime. I'd be more than happy to assist.

Esmjb Sep 26, 2017 6:42 pm

Rio IS super dangerous. Literally all of my wife’s friends have been robbed. My wife had a piece of glass put to her neck (in the worst of 5 times she was robbed or attempted to be robbed). One friend was punched in the face/robbed while sitting in her car in broad daylight stopped in heavy traffic in downtown Rio because she left her window open. Another friend was involved with the pharmacy robbery in botafogo a few months ago, dragged by her hair and told she would die. I myself was trapped in a grocery store for an hour while a shootout happened across the street. I could go on....

But still, that’s for people who live there. Be smart and I highly doubt anything bad will happen to you just on a statistical basis. I always recommend people should visit Rio because IMO there is no better beach in the world than Ipanema.

VidaNaPraia Sep 27, 2017 9:45 am

Hey, Esmjb, can you please post as many anecdotes about people who have been in Rio with no incidents, just to balance out the horror stories you have chosen to present?

IMO, this choice to post only attention-getting horrific tales, and a brief mention of "statistics" (LOL), is what skews new tourists ideas of the city and makes them afraid to visit. (That then helps to tank the economy, making the desperate only more so. And round and round.)

Note: Some Brazilians post such horror stories in a concerted, but IMO misguided, effort to undermine the government.

Jaimito Cartero Sep 27, 2017 10:04 am

Not a recent experience, but...

I spent a month in Rio/SP 15 years ago on my first trip to Brazil. While it's been 10 years since my last visit, I always enjoyed my trips, but did find a fair amount of petty crime in Rio.

You'll find pickpockets, scamming taxi's and other huge city nonsense lots of other places.

Even when going out late at night in Rio alone I never felt unsafe, but you've got to use common sense. Don't use ATM's in desolate/dangerous areas. Don't bring more money than you're willing to lose. And certainly if being robbed, just give your valuables up.

And number 1 Rio advice; don't wear nice shoes walking near the beach!

KDS777 Sep 27, 2017 10:28 am

In Calgary 10 years ago someone "tried" to rob me on 17 Ave SW in the bar district.

My car was stolen from my secure parking garage in 2008.

One of my colleagues in the office was mugged a month ago and spent 4 says in the hospital.

In Canada. In one of the safest cities.

My Brasilian in laws 80 and 76 years old respectively who live in Rio, have never been a victim of a crime.

IMHO most Brasilians overstate their feelings about violence, and cannot grasp the city, nor circumstances in which they live, yet they voted in the biggest criminal the country had ever seen......Lula da Silva, the former president currently appealing his 9.5 year jail term for corruption.

I've saved the most sad and ironic thing for last. In 2008 Jose Neto, a Brasilian living in Calgary, was walking in a known drug crime area in the cities Chinatown district downtown when he felt a sting in his eyes and lost his vision. A stray bullet (Bala Perdida) fired by a dealer at someone else, entered his left eye socket and exited the right hand side. He lived and the dealer is in jail for the rest of his life IIRC.

Iahpdx......

Come to Rio......you'll be fine. My wife and I are leaving 10/16 but if we were here, I'd have been happy to show you around.

TheBOSman Sep 27, 2017 11:44 am

Originally Posted by KDS777 (Post 28862522)
To give you the most comfortable "feeling" and assuage any concerns as a first time visitor I would do recommend that you do the following:

Disclaimer: most of the following advice is aimed at first-time visitors, not repeat visitors. That said:

When I went to Rio de Janeiro, I did basically what you said. I'm a beginner speaker in Portuguese, relatively, but capable enough to be able to handle most basic tourist interactions. But, even so, I took the radio taxi from GIG to the hotel in Barra, no issues. I also hired a guide with a vehicle, partly as I only had 2-3 days there and wanted to make sure I didn't miss the big things. I can recommend my guide for sure (named in trip report below). Stick to touristy areas, don't go to Zona Norte, don't go to a favela, do your best to plan where you want to go in advance and how to get there so you avoid accidentally stumbling across a favela, don't flash anything fancy when outside, keep your awareness about you, and you'll be fine; the common sense procedures. The major attractions (Cristo Redentor/Corcovado, Pão de Açúcar, etc.) are fine to visit, obviously again common sense procedures about personal awareness and items. Or, hire a guide who can sweat most of those details for you and enjoy your time in the Cidade Maravilhosa.

Trip report, admittedly from 2013 and also focusing on the flights and hotels more than the city, but proof I made it there and back in one piece :D:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip...ravilhosa.html

BrazilTraveller78 Sep 27, 2017 12:06 pm

After living in Brazil (Fortaleza) now for 11 years, I have yet to be robbed or even seen anything with my own eyes. On the many lists of most violent cities in the world, Fortaleza is always on the top 10 cities of where most killing occur per capita. Sure, I see lot's of crazy s**t on the news, however I have never ever felt unsafe here. That beeing said, I don't live anymore in the city but a 30 min drive north in a smaller fishing village.

Funny thing is the locals here (including my wife) feel more unsafe than I do, and yes, crime DOES happen here everyday, however I choose not to think about it or it would drive me insane. Like the story of this unfortunate brit who chose to do a self safari in one of Rio's favela's... it's common sense that will keep you safe. Most of my foreign friends here that have experienced robbery will tell me they were walking home from a bar, drunk, or in a dark alley at the time of the incident. Stolen iPhone, Rolex, gold chain... get the point?

When I leave my house to go to the beach, or to a restaurant, I always dress causually, rarely take my phone with me, only my credit card and some cash, just in case. Never advertise that you're a wealthy toursit.

It's such a crying shame that clueless people, many who have never been to Brazil, claim it's almost a death warrant to even step foot in this paradise. The media loves to blow things out of proportions.

Please trust me when I tell you that you can safely come to Brazil, bring your entire family including your kids and have a lovely time here! In short, Brazil is an amazing country although with its own serious problems that you will with 99.9% certainty never even realize exist when you're here.

Please everyone, before posting your horror stories here, do your research and get all the facts straight first.

Esmjb Sep 27, 2017 6:21 pm

How could I forget the anecdote of my visiting buddy who got robbed and had a knife put to his heart in copacabana on nossa senhora?

iahphx Sep 29, 2017 9:50 am

Well, this story isn't making it easier for me to convince my wife to visit Rio:

http://www.france24.com/en/20170929-...avela-violence

VidaNaPraia Sep 29, 2017 12:14 pm

Jeesh, so stay in Copacabana or Catete and avoid the whole deal. Look at a map. This "situation" is apparently about whether the assistant to the imprisoned drug lord of Rocinha, a poor community located on a mountain, with one main entrance at the foot, or the drug lord's girlfriend, is going to lead the gang. Rocinha is on the other side of Leblon, with Ipanema and Arpoador between Leblon and Copacabana. Catete is even further on the other side of the city from Rocinha. Any problems among the gangs or with the (untrustworthy and often corrupt) police/soldiers has been confined to the neighborhood/mountain. You are not likely to see any of it.

Brazilians love to make more of this stuff than necessary when speaking to non-Brazilians.
They are also very conservative with guests; for example, a couple (aunt and uncle of a friend) I stayed with in the far north did not even want to let me go out by myself during the day to see the regular tourist sights in that relatively safe city, and I have been traveling solo safely in Brazil for 20+ years and speak fluent Portuguese.
And many rich Brazilians simply resent that their privileged lives, modeled on being as much like any European or N.American as possible, being disrupted by those "unsightly slums".

Foreign news agencies don't know what to make of it, so go for the "bad news sells".

There is an economic crisis and more people are in reduced circumstances.. But as mentioned above, some Brazilians have this idea that making the country look bad,or banging pots and pans while walking through the streets, will embarrass the government and bring down the corrupt politicians If it was as bad as they make it out, the world would be seeing refugees streaming out of the city like in Syria.

However, if your wife and therefore you, are looking over your shoulders in abject fear the whole time, you will have a miserable trip. So jump in wholeheartedly, both of you, or stay home.

KDS777 Sep 29, 2017 2:46 pm

What she said. Very well written BTW.

A half a mllion tourists flooded Rio for the Olympics, and even more came for the World Cup. Ask your wife to show you the hundreds of news reports about the murdered tourists at these events.

You won't find them.

If anything, the disrespectful actions of members of the US Olympic swim team claiming they were robbed, which was found thru security cam video to be a lie, dominated the world news.

You are more likely to get killed by a terrorist in Europe, or a gang banger in Chicago where esmjb lives, than you are to get harmed down here. I find it ironic and humorous that someone so terrifled for their personal safety moved to such a place. But let's not digress for I've made my point.

Now, this is embarrassing but true. 9 years ago I was stumbling home at 6pm from a bar where I was watching a football game with my friends. I was piss drunk. I tripped on my flip flops and got thrown off balance by the case of beer I was carrying in the middle of Siquera Campos, a very busy street here in Copacabana that at it's north end enters the favela of Tabajares. My condo is 4 blocks away. I am white with blonde hair.

I found myself in the middle of the street on my back, unable to get up because I was plastered. Traffic stopped and a group of locals came out, got me to my feet, made sure I was OK, asked me if I needed EMS etc, and helped me to the sidewalk.

Brasilians for the most part cannot afford to travel out of their country. I'd say 90% never have. So they have perhaps a naive and different view of what a city of 15MM should be like than it really is.

What direct benefit is there to me to convince anyone otherwise ? Maybe a few more open J seats, but that's it.