Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Rio - Things best done on weekday vs. weekend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2019, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Amex

I'll be taking a solo trip down to Rio at the end of November, arriving Wednesday morning, staying in Ipanema, and flying back Sunday night. Starting to pencil in some itinerary ideas - nothing too busy, one or two big things to do each day and the rest of the time at the beach or finding good food to eat! Cristo Redentor, Sugarloaf, the botanic garden, a museum or two, Forte de Copacabana, things like that.

Are there any major attractions that are better to do (or to avoid) on the weekday vs. the weekend? I get the impression that the cog train etc. up to Christ the Redeemer is busier and a little more expensive on the weekends, for example...?

Curious to hear any thoughts, thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2019, 5:04 pm

My two cents- no need to do both cristo AND sugarloaf. One is enough as they are kind of redundant. All those things you listed are better to do on a weekday. Plus imo the best thing about Rio is the beach and the beach is best on the weekend. Look into a soccer game as well, preferably Flamengo as they are awesome this year and attracting huge crowds at the famous maracana stadium.
jerseytom likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The downtown area (modern art museum and the museum on the water constructed for the Olympics, plus a couple old churches) has very little traffic on weekends, to the point that streets seem deserted. (Side streets might not be safe, so be aware of your surroundings even in daylight hours.)
Old Oct 16, 2019, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Esmjb
My two cents- no need to do both cristo AND sugarloaf. One is enough as they are kind of redundant. All those things you listed are better to do on a weekday. Plus imo the best thing about Rio is the beach and the beach is best on the weekend. Look into a soccer game as well, preferably Flamengo as they are awesome this year and attracting huge crowds at the famous maracana stadium.
I respect Esmjb’s opinion, but I disagree with his/her post.

In my opinion, the Corcovado and the Sugar Loaf are both spectacular and both are well worth visiting - not redundant at all.

I prefer the beach on weekdays as it gets crowded on weekends.

Now as far as attending a Flamengo soccer game, it is very exciting, but if Flamengo loses the crowd can become quite dangerous!
jerseytom likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: AF/KLM Club2000 Ultimate / M&M HON Circle / ALL Diamond / Hertz President Circle
Worth getting a chopter tour around Corcovado if you can

Walking near Ipanema & Leblon on weekends is super nice as well !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.