Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Approx 9hr layover in GIG -- what to do?

Old Jan 2, 17, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM

I will end up in GIG around 130pm from a domestic flight and leave to MIA at 1040pm. Is there a hotel near the airport that is decent to spend 9hrs? Or do I head into the city?
Old Jan 3, 17, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Is this your first time in Rio? If so, I think heading into town is a no brainer. If you just want to relax on the beach, I would suggest perhaps getting a day use rate at a hotel in Copacabana, and heading to the beach (an Ibis would do fine in that case, and will be nicer and cheaper than the Linx hotel at the airport).

If it's sightseeing that you're after, and you'd like to maximize your time on the ground, I would suggest something like "rent a local friend", which is a sort of Airbnb for informal local tour guides (might cost around U$100 for 6h): you could arrange to get picked up and dropped off at GIG (assuming your "friend" owns a car, and visit Sugarloaf, have a nice lunch (Rubaiyat or Fogo de Chao if you'd like some steak), perhaps the Olympic port area, or have a caipirinha by the beach Riba kiosk in Leblon or Ipanema would be a must here.

Bear in mind that if it's a weekday you should budget at least 70 minutes to get to GIG from Zona Sul during rush hour, potentially more on a Friday (only 30-40 mins on weekends).

The new AAdmirals Club at GIG is nice enough that you might want to spend some hours there, although not sure when check in would open (assuming you're flying AA).
Old Jan 5, 17, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by RafKa View Post
Is this your first time in Rio? If so, I think heading into town is a no brainer. ...
Good idea, but...

Subtract 3 hours for getting to/from GIG, plus another hour to get from the plane to the "raod", plus 2 hours that one has to be at the airport before the flight, that leaves aboy 4 hours for the tour of Rio, plus local traffic, plus the swim, plus whatever (lunch). Not impossible, but one should be aware of that.
Old Jan 5, 17, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Good idea, but...

Subtract 3 hours for getting to/from GIG, plus another hour to get from the plane to the "raod", plus 2 hours that one has to be at the airport before the flight, that leaves aboy 4 hours for the tour of Rio, plus local traffic, plus the swim, plus whatever (lunch). Not impossible, but one should be aware of that.
Fair points. But note that I separated my suggestions with "or" - I wasn't advocating a tour AND lying on the beach AND going for drinks/lunch, which as you point out would be feasible in theory, but pushing it for time.

Also, your estimate of time spent on the ground is quite conservative. Note that OP hasn't specified which day of the week, but since he/she is arriving from a domestic flight, you could shave 30 mins off the deplaning procedure (they've really gotten better at baggage claim at GIG, thanks to Changi), and another good 30 mins off the drive heading into town (no traffic going into town at that hour, even on weekdays).
Old Jan 5, 17, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by anaggie View Post
I will end up in GIG around 130pm from a domestic flight and leave to MIA at 1040pm. Is there a hotel near the airport that is decent to spend 9hrs? Or do I head into the city?
What time of year is this? High season? Not?
If not high season (shorter lines for the train), you could possibly go up to the Christo for awhile and have a drink up there or at the beach in Copacabana afterwards if time, or go up to Sugarloaf (usually shorter lines)and have a drink up there or come down and have one at Praia Vermelho in Urca.
Bear in mind that it is VERY hot right now in Rio (33 C/91F and much hotter on the beach) if you are going soon, and you will be sweating in street clothes, without an opportunity to shower before the later flight unless you make arrangements (day room at business hotel in centro or one in Copacabana maybe).
Old Jan 5, 17, 6:25 pm

A question to the Cariocas: is the "original" Marius, the one that was sort of close to the Fiocruz compound, still open? And if yes, still the same as in the '90s or has it been "carried away" by the "fame" of its progeny on the beach?
Old Jan 6, 17, 4:25 am

A question to the Cariocas: is the "original" Marius, the one that was sort of close to the Fiocruz compound, still open? And if yes, still the same as in the '90s or has it been "carried away" by the "fame" of its progeny on the beach?
Was there ever one there? I thought the Leme one was the original, and for a while in the 90s they had a branch in Leblon IIRC (closed down probably still in the 90s).

In any case, over the last couple of years rodizio churrascarias have fallen out of favour somewhat in Rio, due to the recession in part, to healthier eating habits, and the competition from Argentinean-style steakhouses where you can eat better quality meat for the same price in a more sophisticated setting...
Old Jan 6, 17, 5:26 am
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
The original one was in Bonsucesso, a commercial neighborhood near Fiocruz, but it is long closed.

There was another one near Arpoador (don't remember if it was the first or the second at Zona Sul) that was not a success and also closed a long time ago.
Old Jan 6, 17, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post
What time of year is this? High season? Not?
If not high season (shorter lines for the train), you could possibly go up to the Christo for awhile and have a drink up there or at the beach in Copacabana afterwards if time, or go up to Sugarloaf (usually shorter lines)and have a drink up there or come down and have one at Praia Vermelho in Urca.
Bear in mind that it is VERY hot right now in Rio (33 C/91F and much hotter on the beach) if you are going soon, and you will be sweating in street clothes, without an opportunity to shower before the later flight unless you make arrangements (day room at business hotel in centro or one in Copacabana maybe).
I get there end of this month. I have been to Rio before but always had time in hand.

Does the Admirals Club have showers? If they do, then the idea of heading to the city makes sense. I might just end up going to Fogo do Chao and eating a nice long meal !
Old Jan 6, 17, 8:48 am

I get there end of this month. I have been to Rio before but always had time in hand.

Does the Admirals Club have showers? If they do, then the idea of heading to the city makes sense. I might just end up going to Fogo do Chao and eating a nice long meal !
You can go to Fogo do Chao in Texas. Why not eat at someplace more local/unique?
Old Jan 6, 17, 9:42 am

Yes, there are showers at the Admirals Club (it's one of the newest on the network, so quite nice, if a little crowded at times). If you drop off you luggage at storage (T2, ground floor), then you can just jump into a cab/uber to Fogo de Chao for a late lunch, and then go to Sugarloaf (5 mins away by cab) for sundowners.
Old Jan 7, 17, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post
You can go to Fogo do Chao in Texas. Why not eat at someplace more local/unique?
Open to this idea ... any suggestions?
Old Jan 7, 17, 8:58 am

I second the opinion of fogo de chao being a sucker play. For something super brasilian I would offer eating feijoada at bar do mineiro in santa Teresa. Alternatively one of the CT Boucherie locations where you order one cut of meat and then get unlimited sides brought to you rodizio style. It's my favorite restaurant in the city.
Old Feb 1, 17, 11:02 am
Original Poster

There is a Plaza Premium Lounge on the second floor of the parking garage accessible to Proority Pass, AMEX Plat and Cent and some credit cards. You can also pay for access. No cash taken. Only cards.

It has a good wifi connnection, showers and food and drinks.
Food is an all day menu with sandwiches (hot and cold), and some other apptizers.

I had lunch in the terminal and found this place.

Worked out perfectly !!
Old Jun 23, 17, 7:12 pm

Programs: UR, United MP, AAdvantage
Best "local" restaurant I found was Couve Flor in the Jardim Botanico neighborhood. Seems like a neighborhood favorite. Pay by the kilo joint with tons of options.

Search this Thread