Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Favorite Hotel on Copacabana Beach?

Old Dec 15, 16, 5:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Haven't been to Brazil before so curious if anyone has a favorite hotel on Copacabana? I was possibly leaning towards JW Marriott. Looks quite nice.
Old Dec 15, 16, 6:28 pm

JWM is nice.

Assuming you don't know much about Rio take a look at Ipanema and Leblon. They are much nicer and safer than Copa and just right around the corner.
Old Dec 15, 16, 6:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Esmjb View Post
JWM is nice.

Assuming you don't know much about Rio take a look at Ipanema and Leblon. They are much nicer and safer than Copa and just right around the corner.
It appears you're right about Ipanema beach. Appears to be the better area. I'll take a look at hotels there as well.
Old Dec 20, 16, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Jeffmiyagi View Post
It appears you're right about Ipanema beach. Appears to be the better area. I'll take a look at hotels there as well.
The big question here is: what's your budget? While not entirely disagreeing with Esmjb, the "Ipanema end" of Copa has been improving in terms of its offering with new openings for bars and restaurants, and a top-end hotel, the Emiliano (sister property of the Fasano, in Ipanema) which I believe is on soft opening so perhaps a good deal right now... Also in Copa, the Copacabana Palace is one of those grand dame hotels which is worth checking out, budget permitting.

In Ipanema, other than Fasano, I'd recommend taking a look at the Sheraton, which is not directly on the main beach (has a small beach), but has been recently refurbished and has the best pool area in Rio (after Fasano's rooftop pool, of course). I would give the Caesar Park, and both Marinas a miss as they are very dated and ridiculously overpriced for what they offer.
Old Dec 20, 16, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
During low season, the Copacabana Palace can have some reasonable rates. They're in FHR and probably Virtuoso. Like it's sister hotel at the Falls, it's a Belmond, aka former Orient Express.

Many top hotels in Brazil belong to Grand Luxury Hotels, which gives some nice benefits starting with the first stay, although reservations must be booked through them.
Old Dec 20, 16, 11:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
During low season, the Copacabana Palace can have some reasonable rates. They're in FHR and probably Virtuoso. Like it's sister hotel at the Falls, it's a Belmond, aka former Orient Express.

Many top hotels in Brazil belong to Grand Luxury Hotels, which gives some nice benefits starting with the first stay, although reservations must be booked through them.
Saw this one but this would seem to go against the earlier advice to stay across from Ipanema Beach.
Old Dec 20, 16, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Saw this one but this would seem to go against the earlier advice to stay across from Ipanema Beach.
Agree - but other than the Fasano (which has more of a boutique feel, and quite small rooms), no other beachfront hotels are a match in terms of atmosphere, accommodation, F&B, and service...
Old Dec 20, 16, 12:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Faisano is probably the only place that is out of my budget. Maybe Copacabana is the place to go.

Last edited by Jeffmiyagi; Dec 20, 16 at 12:43 pm
Old Dec 20, 16, 12:59 pm

IMO there is no problem with staying in Copacabana, depending on the area of the neighborhood and the quality of the property. And as mentioned, the Ipanema end (near posto 6 and the fort) is a good area of that neighborhood, with lots of bars and restaurants and shops and music, and an early morning fish market. Copacabana seems a bit more busy in some areas, like the main shopping street, than Ipanema, but that makes for great people watching and choices in food.

Rio is unique in that it has been built so that the areas along the beach in the Zona Sul where tourists stay (which includes the whole long stretch of beach including Leme, Copacabana, Arpoador, Ipanema, Leblon) are closely backed by those picturesque mountains on which the favelas were built. The favela residents are the folks who clean your hotel room and serve you drinks on the beach. But there is a major economic crisis in Brazil right now, and some have been pushed to desperation, so it is prudent to stay vigilant in whichever neighborhood you stay or travel.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Dec 20, 16 at 1:50 pm
Old Dec 20, 16, 3:49 pm

I have stayed at the Caesar Park many times and if the rate is right can recommend it.
Old Dec 20, 16, 11:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I may opt for Belmond or JW Marriott. Both look pretty nice.
Old Dec 20, 16, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Just be careful about walking around on the side streets back from the beach and don't walk on the beach at night.
Old Dec 21, 16, 3:05 am

Between those two, I'd pick the Copacabana Palace. It'll be a more unique experience.

With regards to safety, I find the beachfront promenade in Copa to be safer in the evenings than Ipanema, as there's always a lot of people (Ipanema gets deserted after dark). 10pm should be a cut-off for the promenade, and you shouldn't wander on the sand towards the sea after dark (typically that's where muggings happen). Same for walking the back streets after dark, but this applies to Rio as a whole: uber and taxis are plentiful, safe and cheap.

Don't get put off though: we live in Copa and my wife looks like a total "gringa" and has been walking around/catching buses within Zona Sul for the past 4 years without any incidents (touch wood).

Last edited by RafKa; Dec 21, 16 at 6:00 am
Old Dec 21, 16, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by RafKa View Post
the Emiliano (sister property of the Fasano, in Ipanema) which I believe is on soft opening so perhaps a good deal right now.
I had not heard of this hotel so I googled it..and it's that weird building I've been wondering about for the last 6 months. I am NOT a fan of the façade of this building! It looks pretty cool from the inside though.
Old Dec 21, 16, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by Esmjb View Post
I had not heard of this hotel so I googled it..and it's that weird building I've been wondering about for the last 6 months. I am NOT a fan of the façade of this building! It looks pretty cool from the inside though.
I quite like the lattice-type façade that can be opened to reveal a massive balcony! But with prices starting at U$650 a night it looks like it'll be for the select few. Entry level rooms are a massive 45sqm vs 30sqm at the Fasano...

Search this Thread