Reload this Page >

Tourism Minister proposes to waive visa requirements for some nationalities

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tourism Minister proposes to waive visa requirements for some nationalities

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:54 pm

I recently applied for my Brazilian visa, and it was ready in 2 days. $160 for 10 years of travel to this beautiful country is well worth it, in my opinion
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
http://plus55.com/brazil-politics/ne...t-visas-debate

The question of Brazilian tourist visas has raised a debate between the country’s top officials. While the Tourism Minister sees visa regulations as a way to boost the economy, the Foreign Minister stands by tradition.

Like his predecessor José Serra, new Foreign Minister Aloysio Nunes believes Brazil’s visa regulations should be reciprocal. Meaning, Brazil should require tourist visas from countries who do so for Brazilians. However, Tourism Minister Marx Beltrăo sees economic growth as more important than diplomatic standards.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Is this still being debated or a dead issue?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Dead... politicians currently too busy dodging corruption charges.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by RafKa
Dead... .
Big surprise
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:11 pm

There should be some changes regarding visa for Americans in the next few months. They will implement a digital visa for American tourists, starting November. It will still be paid, same fee, but no more consulate visits.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carolnl
There should be some changes regarding visa for Americans in the next few months. They will implement a digital visa for American tourists, starting November. It will still be paid, same fee, but no more consulate visits.
Do you have any more details? I'm actually planning on going to Brazil in late November (I currently have no visa), and would certainly appreciate avoiding the considerable consulate hassle.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by iahphx
Do you have any more details? I'm actually planning on going to Brazil in late November (I currently have no visa), and would certainly appreciate avoiding the considerable consulate hassle.
From what I was told, the Brazilian government has been paying at least something toward getting an evisa type system set-up, one akin to what Turkey and India have done. We'd still have to pay the reciprocity fee amount for Brazil, but the hassle of dealing with the Brazilian consulates/embassies would be gone for most US passport users. Whether or not they get this in place in time for the next Carnival who knows.

I'd be very surprised if this goes live before Thanksgiving weekend (in the US), but I've been surprised from time to time.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any new developments on this? I'm about to endure the hassle (and expense) of the old visa system.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
FWIW.......any Brasilian with a currently valid US visa or an expired one within the last 5 years can now apply for an ETA to enter Canada.

It's done online, and if you're good to go, you get approved in 30 seconds.

My inIaws did this a few months ago and my brother in law recently entered Canada without issue. No word on whether or not the standard visa process for Canadians going the other way has changed however.

And there is no development yet on the US side either AFAIK.........sorry iahpdx.

Last edited by KDS777; Oct 10, 2017 at 4:59 pm
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: None no more
Originally Posted by KDS777
FWIW.......any Brasilian with a currently valid US visa or an expired one within the last 5 years can now apply for an ETA to enter Canada.

No word on whether or not the standard visa process for Canadians going the other way has changed however.
Also, if a Brazilian has had a canadian visa in the last 10 years they are eligible for entry into Canada by way of the electronic travel authority , eTA. But first visit still requires a visiter visa for a Brazilian visiting Canada, with all the associated proof of funds/income.

So , doubt if Brazil will drop the current visa requirements for Canadians coming to Brazil.

Brazil's discussion on dropping visa requirements for select countries in the interest of tourism, not withstanding, of course.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: AC, AF KLM flying blue, BAEC
Thumbs up E-visa starting January 2018

Hey ya'll good news, some blogs and news outlet are advertising the long awaited E-visa.
According to BrazilGovNews it should be made available starting January 2018^^

Can't post any link visibly since i've less than 5 posts but infos available on brazilgovnews or OMAT blog or Conde Nast/CNN traveler
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anderson360
Hey ya'll good news, some blogs and news outlet are advertising the long awaited E-visa.

Can't post any link visibly since i've less than 5 posts but infos available on brazilgovnews or OMAT blog or Conde Nast/CNN traveler
That would be good news. Nobody should have to waste the time I just wasted to get a simple tourist visa to Brazil.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: United Airlines MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Anderson360

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/us-...isas-to-brazil
Anderson360 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:47 pm

Do we have to do it this way? I happen to live very near a consulate that has always been easy to deal with and quick. Are they going to do away with visas in person altogether? (I'd rather shop for most things brick and mortar too, LOL) Minority opinion, I know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.