Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Dual citizen, no Brazilian passport question

Old Sep 16, 16, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum

My trusty expats in Brasil forum is no longer very active. Realize it's a long shot someone can answer here, but here is my situation. I just naturalized on Wednesday this week, by the time I travel I will have my RG, Cartão de Reservista and a document from the Cartorio Eleitoral saying I can't register yet (due to the election season). I will not have time to get a passport however before traveling. Anyone have experience traveling as a Brazilian citizen without a Brazilian passport and only with in my case a US passport (traveling to the US) I will bring my RG, the documents I cited and my Naturalization Certificate to prove that I am legal. Again, know it's a longshot here, but thanks if anyone can help.

Last edited by DrewBach; Sep 16, 16 at 1:34 pm
Old Sep 16, 16, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by DrewBach View Post
My trusty expats in Brasil forum is no longer very active.
Who that is? JBCarioca? I miss him too.

I can't answer your question, did you try asking the authorities?

Did you try to find a well connected "despachante" to expedite the passport? I know it can be done.

My guess is that departing Brazil using your US passport won't be a problem (unless the computer flags that you are a Brazilian citizen...). On the return, you'll only be allowed to board if you have a valid visa, but once you land, as a Brazilian citizen, you can enter Brazil without a passport.
Old Sep 17, 16, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by boboqui View Post
My guess is that departing Brazil using your US passport won't be a problem (unless the computer flags that you are a Brazilian citizen...). On the return, you'll only be allowed to board if you have a valid visa, but once you land, as a Brazilian citizen, you can enter Brazil without a passport.
That is innacurate, as they would look for evidence of getting into the country with the US passport.

They are surprisingly picky on this: I asked that for my son, since a Brazilian passport for a babies below 12 months is only valid for 1 year (as opposed to his Swiss passport, valid for 5) and was told that he could only leave the country with his RG only , if travelling to Mercosur. That means he's fine to see his grandparents in NZ, transitting through EZE or SCL,mbut not his other grandparents in Switz.

Anyway, long story short, you should be OK if you bring all the documentation, as this is clearly an extenuating circumstance, but I would give myself plenty of extra time (i.e. arrive at airport 30-60 mins earlier than you would normally) in case you get an exceptionally pedantic/ignorant immigration agent.
Old Sep 17, 16, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by RafKa View Post
That is innacurate, as they would look for evidence of getting into the country with the US passport.
He was naturalized on Wednesday this week, so he must have entered Brazil with his US passport. What kind of evidence are you referring to?

OT: I'm now staying in the Geneve wing of the Swiss inspired theme Hotel Le Canton in Teresopolis, RJ. It's excellent for little kids and peace of mind for parents.
Old Sep 17, 16, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Expat forum was gringoes.com, used to be super active, but then they switched the software and were shutdown a bit and no one came back. Boboqui is correct that I have never had a Brazilian passport and have always entered with my US passport. I have a permanent visa in my old US passport that says it doesn't expire and will have my Brazilian ID card which I think should be enough to convince airlines to let me on the plane. I am not so much worried about being denied entry as they can't deny entry to a Brazilian citizen so much as being able to leave the country. The Brazilian authorities have been having issues with passports for the last few months as there is a problem with the paper they use to print... Thanks for your responses.
Old Sep 17, 16, 8:23 am

Why can't you just use your permanencia stamped in your passport to leave and enter Brazil? Do you think you are already in a database of citizens, one that can be consulted at the airport?

a possible contingency plan: If you are in the US long enough, and are close enough to a Brazilian Consulate, they issue passports. Maaaaaaybe there's an off chance they can understand your situation and help you out (if the strike is over). They have also issued some sort of letter to allow Brazilians (who have lost or had their passport confiscated or whatever) to return home.

and btw, gringoes deteriorated and went under under because of an excess of bullies on the site, and also on the Facebook page (IMO)
Old Sep 17, 16, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Facebook page was(is) a mess from day one, no chance I would've been able to naturalize without the help I got there. I still have my permanencia in my old passport, though I turned in my RNE when I got my naturalization certificate. I'll have my RG by the time I travel, here's to hoping! Thanks for your insights.
Old Sep 17, 16, 6:50 pm

I know a Brazilian that travels in and out of Brazil through GIG on a foreign passport combined with the RG all the time.
Old Sep 18, 16, 6:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by C010T3 View Post
I know a Brazilian that travels in and out of Brazil through GIG on a foreign passport combined with the RG all the time.
That's funny, because I was precisely told (more than once) by the immigration officer that is not possible. Perhaps I should try that once, and have my Brazilian passport in my pocket just in case. In fact, last night at GIG I used the self service passport scans to exit Brazil, so I wonder how you would even be able to leave on an RG only (I know it's possible, if travelling to Mercosur, but the "Brazilian Citizens" line went directly to the scanning machines, with no manned desks...
Old Sep 19, 16, 7:49 am
Original Poster

There is a separated line at least at GRU where the citizens without chipped passports go, that is where I always went before with my RNE (green card).
Old Sep 19, 16, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C010T3 View Post
Do you know if their foreign passport happens to be from Mercosur? I have heard people say that works, but not sure about a non-Mercosur, also does the airline know what an RG is when he/she goes to check in without a visa or Brazilian passport?
Old Sep 19, 16, 10:20 am

Drew,

Are you in Rio? When is your flight?
Old Sep 19, 16, 10:49 am
Original Poster

I'm in São Paulo, flight is October 15th, I'll post back how it went after the flight. Fairly confident I should be alright. Just don't want to have to explain to work why I couldn't fly. Flying GRU to IAD direct with United.
Old Sep 19, 16, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by DrewBach View Post
Do you know if their foreign passport happens to be from Mercosur? I have heard people say that works, but not sure about a non-Mercosur, also does the airline know what an RG is when he/she goes to check in without a visa or Brazilian passport?
No, it's an EU-passport, therefore there is no visa-requirement.

Last edited by C010T3; Sep 20, 16 at 3:38 am
Old Sep 19, 16, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Cool, that is good to know, basically means that it is only my airline who would stop me from coming back. I am pretty confident I can get through the airline with all the documents I have.

Search this Thread