Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Why are all planes out of GRU so full in September?

Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.

As a regular traveller to and from Brazil, I've noticed with alarm how empty many planes have been, especially in premium cabins. Now, my GRU-JFK flight next week is booked solid in Y and C, and my colleague who is trying to book a Y flight to Europe can only find Royal Air Maroc towards the end of the month at a price that's less than insane. It's obviously not the Olympics anymore — what's going on? Is it simply the effect of capacity cuts?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
As a regular traveller to and from Brazil, I've noticed with alarm how empty many planes have been, especially in premium cabins. Now, my GRU-JFK flight next week is booked solid in Y and C, and my colleague who is trying to book a Y flight to Europe can only find Royal Air Maroc towards the end of the month at a price that's less than insane. It's obviously not the Olympics anymore — what's going on? Is it simply the effect of capacity cuts?
Do you mean how full the flights are?; "how empty many planes have been"

DL flights to/from GRU are typically full and have been for years in my experience, especially in J. I don't have much info on Europe other than KL/AF which run flights from GRU 3 times a day (2x CDG, 1x AMS) on 77Ws, so the capacity is there.

I'm sure the cuts due to Brazil's economy and declining tourist sector are giving fewer options to people but maybe those flights are typically just full either way?

Also, the Paraolympics start next week so they're not completely over.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Do you mean how full the flights are?; "how empty many planes have been"

DL flights to/from GRU are typically full and have been for years in my experience, especially in J. I don't have much info on Europe other than KL/AF which run flights from GRU 3 times a day (2x CDG, 1x AMS) on 77Ws, so the capacity is there.

I'm sure the cuts due to Brazil's economy and declining tourist sector are giving fewer options to people but maybe those flights are typically just full either way?

Also, the Paraolympics start next week so they're not completely over.
I guess how empty OW planes have been, especially in premium cabins. BA has changed to a low-business configuration, and I have never before known AA flights to be full in business class in or out of GRU. But fair point about the Paraolympics.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 3:16 pm

In general, flights to Brazil have fairly recently been cut drastically (announced and some cuts in place before the Olympics,). Some routes for some airlines have been taken off entirely (AA direct Miami to Salvador for just one example) and those people would now probably fly through GRU. Maybe the airlines maintained some capacity just until the Olympics/Para-Olympics were over.
So... less flights, fuller remaining flights?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:13 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please continue the discussion as this thread moves to the Brazil forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:49 am

What everyone else said plus the fact the economy is beginning to thaw. The last year, especially when the real went to and above 4 to 1, really put the clamps down on business and leisure travel. Not since 2002 had I seen round trips to Chicago or LA for $400 or less and even at those prices the plane was still only half full. I think the message is buy Brazil when rt's are $400 and sell when it makes the economics cover.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.