Wiki Posts
Search

Common phrases , english - airport lounge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None no more
Common phrases , english - airport lounge

Ok you savy frequent flyers, a friend just got a job in one of the new lounges in terminal 2 of galećo. It is not an airline operated lounge, but one of those requiring a specific credit card / user pay.

He is highly motivated and has been told if he can bring his english a notch or two he could be eligible for a supervisor position. The money sucks at the entry level.

He has asked me for as many phrases he may encounter in such an environment as I can think of.

I have thought of a few but any suggestions?

A weird post I know but a genuine request.

Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:12 pm

I'm sure you are asking out of a genuine wish to help his situation. However, Brazilians are often looking for a magic solution instead of doing the work needed......memorize a few phrases and instant rise in English level, instead of finding an effective native teacher to work with, emphasis on work, to improve comprehension and general vocabulary. But most never learned how to retain information in their years of sitting in a public or less than stellar private school for years, as students do learn as a fundamental in many educational systems in other countries. Hey, maybe it'll work...if his supervisor is just as. ....whatever........ ..bring on the phrases folks.
"Can you tell me where the ladies' room is?"
Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Yes I hear you. The education system here sucks, public anyway.

But he has put significant effort into learning; several semesters at senec over the years and 8 months living and studying full-time at a good school in Australia.

His english is pretty good, well beyond 'have a nice day'. Much better than my, understandable, but appalling portuguese.

I think he needs more intensive exposure to gringos speaking.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by zackery149
Yes I hear you. The education system here sucks, public anyway.
Some of the private schools are pretty appalling too. They don't help the students; they need to get their own tutor, at their own expense if they can't keep up. But the school may be willing to "sell" a passing grade at the end of the term, for a hefty extra fee, so the student can move on to the next grade. (from my experience putting a young friend in a certain private school.) Jeitinho brasiliero at work.

But he has put significant effort into learning; several semesters at senec over the years and 8 months living and studying full-time at a good school in Australia.
His english is pretty good, well beyond 'have a nice day'. Much better than my, understandable, but appalling portuguese.
Several semesters is really not much, especially for (as mentioned) people who have not learned to retain material during their formative years. I know language schools in Brazil who don't get past the basics of "to be" in several semesters.
Even 8 months in an English speaking country is not much, as proven by many Brazilian friends living for much longer than that in the US. Oooh, and the accent! Doesn't prepare someone to 'hear' American English at all.

Maybe there is some specialized vocabulary that I am missing associated specifically with being in an airport lounge area. Seems to me someone might use pretty common service industry vocabulary and politeness level.

But you are probably correct that he needs more immersion. It is a problem of percentage--percentage of time one is surrounded by English, as opposed to Portuguese, during a given day. Turn off the novelas on TV at night and find a station/program in English, or one on the radio to run in the background all the time. Listen to music with lyrics in English and try to translate. Find some native speakers and offer to trade Portuguese for English conversation sessions at a café or boteco. Do this with several different people, several times a week. Much more effective than memorizing phrases.

I am very aware of the undignified salary levels. Best of luck to him.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:14 am
Original Poster

"Turn off the novelas on TV at night ........."

Are you crazy!

Breathing, beach, beer and novelas, there is nothing else in life.

No wonder you were given time out in the corner, such radical comments.

Sorry mods, will stop here, too far off flyertalk relevance.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:52 pm

"Turn off the novelas on TV at night ........."

Are you crazy!

Breathing, beach, beer and novelas, there is nothing else in life.

No wonder you were given time out in the corner, such radical comments.

Sorry mods, will stop here, too far off flyertalk relevance.
You forgot both the senses of "comer". LOL

Sim, chega.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Tell him to find some gringos who want to learn Portuguese and meet up over a coffee or a suco and practice, practice, practice. ½ hour speaking PT, ½ hour EN
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:35 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by Palal
Tell him to find some gringos who want to learn Portuguese and meet up over a coffee or a suco and practice, practice, practice. ½ hour speaking PT, ½ hour EN
Bingo, cultural exchange right there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.