Best deal in Rio?

Old Jul 6, 16, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Best deal in Rio?

Hi All, Rio is so expensive, but found Royal Tulip for $123. http://www.hotels25.com/Hotel/Search...ition=rates,80

It's a lot cheaper than other options I've looked at, but how is location and service? Anyone know this hotel?
Old Jul 6, 16, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by travelgeeker View Post

It's a lot cheaper than other options I've looked at, but how is location and service? Anyone know this hotel?
It's a 5 minute walk from the mouth of the biggest favela in all of Brazil (rocinha). Tons of shady people lurk around that area. Odds are you will be fine if you stay there especially if you leave the hotel and get right into a waiting taxi but does that sound enjoyable? If saving X amount of money is worth it, then book it. We all make trade offs. But I would never redommend that hotel/area to anyone personally.
Old Jul 6, 16, 5:22 am

Well, it is certainly not a 5 star hotel, as you claim in your post elsewhere, but few hotels in Brazil really match that US/EU star system. Look on Trip Advosor for reviews from people who have actually stayed there.
As for location, IMO São Conrado ( where the hotel advertises its location) is a bit far out of the area to easily access most tourist sights (near hang gliding though), but not out of the question. There is a large, popular mall very close by.
But Rocinha is practically middle class these days, with foreign investors buying up lots and B&Bs (pousadas and hostels) opening to cater to tourists. A good resource regarding the community is Zezinho, who lives there, gives tours in English, and sponsors social projects. www.favelatours.org. Note: Many well off Rio residents demonstrate prejudicial attitudes toward residents of these vibrant communities, which ensures they remain marginalized.
Old Jul 6, 16, 5:55 am

Isn't the Royal Tulip the same hotel like the Intercontinental, where the hostage taking took place six years ago? If yes, it's a good hotel, 5 stars is exaggerated, I'd say 4 should describe it better. Great views from the rooms (Mine was facing "south-west"). In spite of the story of two years earlier, I never felt threatened in any sense, staying there for week-long congress.
Old Jul 6, 16, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Isn't the Royal Tulip the same hotel like the Intercontinental, where the hostage taking took place six years ago? .
That incident speaks more to the poor judgement, rash actions, low pay (at the time), and bad training of the police. Other lodgings in other, touristed, neighborhoods Rio have been deliberately invaded by robbers; this incident happened only because the police tried to corner people returning from a party. The "bad guy" perps in such incidents have proved not only to be drug dealing favela dwellers, but super rich, well educated kids from the highest class neighborhoods out for a thrill while financing their own drug use.
Old Jul 6, 16, 1:28 pm

Hi All, Rio is so expensive, but found Royal Tulip for $123. http://www.hotels25.com/Hotel/Search...ition=rates,80

I stay at the Promenade Palladium which shows a price of $156 - best location!

http://www.hotels25.com/Hotel/Search...expanded%253D0
Old Jul 6, 16, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
You can get some nice cheap food in Rocinha.

People always get panicked and think you will instantly be mugged once you set foot in a favela. It's ridiculous.

Not speaking the language may be a problem though. I wouldn't go there if I didn't speak
Old Jul 9, 16, 9:16 am

My favorite waiter at Degrau Restaurant, Ronaldo, lives in Rocinha with his wife and 8yo daughter. Last March, when a beautiful little boy was killed by a stray bullet, he talked about the terror that the Rocinha residents endure, with the ever present danger of stray bullets in the ubiquitous shootouts between the drug gangs and the police.
Old Jul 9, 16, 10:41 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Ex-VIP Fromins Deli Encino - 34 years grandfathered successor program status - UA Plat/HH Diamond
Opinions about safety at specific properties is germane to decisions on where someone should stay. However moderators will not condone politicizing the discussion. That is Omni/PR territory.

Regularly over the last couple of years in the Brazil forum conversations stray into Omni territory, and moderators have had to take action. Fact is residents of the country and potential travelers have been bombarded with world and domestic press reports, due to high profile events such as the Olympics. Whether the reports are well written, objective, or lack any true substance, they are endemic. If people want to debate information legitimacy the Brazil forum is not the place.

Argumentative posts will be removed by moderators, and members who repeatedly write such content will lose forum privileges.
Old Jul 19, 16, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Unless you'll be there during the Olympics or some other extremely high season period such as Christmas/New Year or Carnival, I don't think this is such a good price.

Be sure to pay attention to whether the hotel prices you see include taxes and service charges.

If you don't care about being in the center, there are some nice new hotels in Barra that are reasonably priced and much safer.

Search this Thread