FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brazil (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil-678/)
-   -   Airport bus service to/from GRU (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil/1761668-airport-bus-service-gru.html)

Shareholder Apr 24, 2016 6:21 pm

Airport bus service to/from GRU

Couldn't find anything specific posted here before I did my trip last weekend, so thought I'd post a thread to help others.

There are several local routes used by people who live in the region, but the key routes for visitors are served by Airport Bus Service (logo'd in blue, red and white) on intercity style buses. With the opening of T3, however, there is no direct service to/from this terminal. You must make your way to T2, either taking the internal walkway between the arrivals and the departures level or the intra-terminal shuttle which runs from a platform across the first lane of traffic outside T3 every 15 minutes. There are no signs that i could notice at T3 advising of this city bus service.

Several routes run into the city centre (Republica/Paulista) and other major areas (World Trade Centre: Hilton, Sheraton and Hyatt) are offered. Trip takes between 90-minutes to 2-hours depending upon traffic, which is always horrid. Fare is about R$45 depending upon the route taken. There's a ticket office near the bus platforms at T2 where you purchase tickets prior to boarding.

The Paulista route will drop off a major hotels in the area, but the return is more complicated and needs to be boarded at the terminus in the city of each route.

Here's their web site:
http://www.airportbusservice.com.br/en/home

TeamCarryOn Jun 5, 2016 9:28 am

Great post! I would also add that the buses have WIFI on board, and the luggage is collected and stored using a ticket process, so you don't need to worry about someone taking your bag.

Tickets can also be purchased in advance, online.

Xeno Sep 3, 2016 12:59 pm

Thanks for this thread.

I will be arrive into GRU on a DL flight from DTW. I need to take the airport bus to the Marriott Renaissance Sao Paulo.

OP, are you saying all flights from USA arrive at T3 thus the instructions for how to move to T2? If I have it right, I need routing to the Guarulhos-Avenida Paulista Line.

I read elsewhere that travel time could be 60 minutes so disappointing to hear this could take up to 2 hours. My run will be early Monday morning, approximately 8:30 am.

If I failed to exchange USD for BRL while in the USA, is this best done at the airport or the hotel? I do not plan to use an ATM at the airport.

MSPeconomist Sep 4, 2016 10:39 pm

If you arrive on DL, you need to exit the terminal building and go to the left along the sidewalk. Near the end of the building, you'll see an area with ticket windows for the Airport Bus Service.

For the Renaissance, indeed you want the Paulista line. When I did this last month, once in this area of downtown, the bus drove around some side streets dropping people off at smaller hotels, with the Renaissance being toward the end. It's an interesting system with a second employee boarding at the first stop in town, at a square. He speaks English and asks everyone for their hotel. Then he seems to set the route and get off at each stop to get luggage out of the storage area under the bus, so that the driver doesn't need to alight. It really works efficiently.

Xeno Sep 5, 2016 2:49 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 27166295)
If you arrive on DL, you need to exit the terminal building and go to the left along the sidewalk. Near the end of the building, you'll see an area with ticket windows for the Airport Bus Service.

For the Renaissance, indeed you want the Paulista line. When I did this last month, once in this area of downtown, the bus drove around some side streets dropping people off at smaller hotels, with the Renaissance being toward the end. It's an interesting system with a second employee boarding at the first stop in town, at a square. He speaks English and asks everyone for their hotel. Then he seems to set the route and get off at each stop to get luggage out of the storage area under the bus, so that the driver doesn't need to alight. It really works efficiently.

Thank you. Land in 2 hours