Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

American Consulate recommends that tourists do not visit slums in Rio

Old Mar 22, 16, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Exclamation American Consulate recommends that tourists do not visit slums in Rio

https://translate.google.com/transla...as-no-rio.html
Old Mar 23, 16, 2:06 am

What the usually crappy Google Translate version seems to say
is that diplomats should avoid favelas and tourists should go with a guide.

(Why would an announcement aimed at US English speakers need to be translated into English in the first place?)

Without getting further into politics.....
I really don't understand those Brazilians who join the current movement to actively make their own country look bad in the eyes of the world by spreading any bad press they can.
All Brazilians, as citizens and compulsory voters (and not just some of the poorer and most disenfranchised citizens) are directly responsible for their elected government.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Mar 23, 16 at 2:14 am
Old Mar 28, 16, 6:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold
I went through one of the favelas in Rio with a resident of the favela who ran tours and put a portion of the money earned back into the community. This was in 2013, so it was a less tumultuous time, but the guide noted that being in a favela (with a local) is safer than being anywhere else in the city. He said that the residents of the favela have pride in their community and do not want a negative reputation. This was evident as we walked around the favela.
Old Mar 28, 16, 8:24 am

As I mentioned, the underlying purpose of the misinformation in the original posting is not to discuss the relative merits/safety of visiting a favela, but to attempt to promulgate the ineffective idea of embarrassing the government by pointing at its shortcomings. However, those doing so can only view the person directly to blame by taking a long look in the mirror.
They should be certain to know who will fill the vacuum they seek to create, lest those who rush in be no better, and perhaps worse in the end, than what exists. (For those not familiar, some Brazilians are even calling for the resumption of the not too distant past dictatorship which tortured and killed many citizens.)

These same people embracing this foolish strategy are those responsible for marginalizing those who live in "communidades" (the word preferred by residents for their neighborhoods). Much blame is being put on the poor for voting for candidates who sponsored programs that bettered the lives of those poorest citizens.

As for doing a favela tour, I personally do not see any attraction. If you want to see how Brazilian people live (rich or poor), learn Portuguese, make friends and (you will easily) get invited home by a friendly local, rather than going to ogle, led by a resident or not.

I don't understand why the moderator does not remove a thread whose title is a fabrication by the poster.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Mar 30, 16 at 6:38 am
Old May 1, 16, 5:00 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
I volunteered in a Favela in Brazil. I never felt unsafe in the 3 months I was there. I did notice whenever I went into one everyone knew who I was, and why I was there. From people I know who wandered in by mistake the worst thing that happened is they got told to leave or took some shots of some nasty booze. good times
Old May 1, 16, 8:47 pm
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post

Without getting further into politics.....
I really don't understand those Brazilians who join the current movement to actively make their own country look bad in the eyes of the world by spreading any bad press they can.
All Brazilians, as citizens and compulsory voters (and not just some of the poorer and most disenfranchised citizens) are directly responsible for their elected government.
I think to a degree your second comment explains your first comment. Next door in Colombia politicians have a vested interest in convincing citizens that their country is more dangerous than it is in order to get elected on a security ticket. Blame not those Brazilians that share disheartening information. Blame the media, private security companies and politicians that convince them that it is more dangerous than it is for their own gains.

To make this on topic again. Problem for travellers like us is, there is no way to know what is true. There is the one side cheerleading the danger, there is the other side that thinks everywhere is Disneyland. There are only a handful in the middle with a realistic and measured opinion of security.

You are suspended. Hope to see you back soon
Old May 2, 16, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Having made 4 trips to Brazil this year I would says there are areas in Washington DC and many other American cities I find more scary than the few Favela's I had travel though in Rio and Sao Paulo.

In fact in the 90s I lived in Downtown Palo Alto, near Stanford University, often I could hear gun fire in the wee hours of the morning coming from East Palo Alto.

Yes I know there are Favela's more dangerous than the ones I had seen... but we also have some hell of scary and dangerous neighborhoods here in America. Back of the Yards Chicago, not far from CNN Studios The Buff's in Atlanta, East Oakland scares the crap out of me.

I find Brazil far safer than I expected, but you do need to keep alert, Brazil is like NYC in the 70s... always keep aware of your surroundings where ever you go.

Rio is stunning, vibrant, colorful, beyond beautiful, don't let bad press scare you from experiencing this marvelous, breathtaking city.
Old May 3, 16, 5:35 pm

Programs: None no more
There is a cool bar at the top of Morro da Babilônia, the favela above Leme, called Bar do Alto.
Good food and stunning views of Copacabana and beyond. Check it out.

Miss you Vida......the EXPERT of Brasil.

Search this Thread