Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Official - Visa Free Travel June 1 - Sept. 18 (US, CAN, AUS, JPN)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official - Visa Free Travel June 1 - Sept. 18 (US, CAN, AUS, JPN)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
a) There are not significant numbers of people. Attendance (measured by ticket sales to events, as well as flight reservations), is anticipated to be quite low. They are starting to give away large numbers of event tickets to locals just to fill venues.
b) NO. No possibility whatsoever (IMO). Not until the US allows Brazilians to enter the US without a visa.
You are correct. Actually, Brazilian constitution would prohibit the unilateral permanent visa waiver.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If anyone is concerned about a certain airline that tends not to use TIMATIC property, namel DL, not being aware of this summer's visa rules, you can point the DL employee to page 16 of the July 2016 issue of SKY, DL's own inflight magazine:

BRAZIL IS OPEN FOR YOU. No tourist visa required for Americans. From June 1st to September 18th. For more information visitbrazil.com. [Ad by Brazil and Olymics Rio 2016.]

The magazine should be available online from links on DL's website, but I'm not sure whether the ads are there.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If anyone is concerned about a certain airline that tends not to use TIMATIC property, namel DL, not being aware of this summer's visa rules, you can point the DL employee to page 16 of the July 2016 issue of SKY, DL's own inflight magazine:

BRAZIL IS OPEN FOR YOU. No tourist visa required for Americans. From June 1st to September 18th. For more information visitbrazil.com. [Ad by Brazil and Olymics Rio 2016.]

The magazine should be available online from links on DL's website, but I'm not sure whether the ads are there.

Can 100% confirm that Brazil is definitely open for Americans with no need for visas.
At Rio airport and at land border crossing from Paraguay into Brazil. It was kind of a
surreal experience, since the Brazilians have been playing the reciprocating game
against Americans for many years.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
Can 100% confirm that Brazil is definitely open for Americans with no need for visas.
At Rio airport and at land border crossing from Paraguay into Brazil. It was kind of a
surreal experience, since the Brazilians have been playing the reciprocating game
against Americans for many years.
It's not against Americans specifically.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL/UA
im flying TAP from LIS to GRU on Sept 4. Hopefully they wont give me a hard time.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by ace587
im flying TAP from LIS to GRU on Sept 4. Hopefully they wont give me a hard time.
If you're worried enough to post here, maybe print the page from one of the official Brazilian Consulate sites regarding the visa waiver for US passport holders.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
BRING DOCUMENTATION. be prepared to fight to board.

DL agents (plural) are convinced that the visa waiver ended with the Olympics. I guess they haven't heard of the ParaOlympics. And they can't use TIMATIC properly either.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BRING DOCUMENTATION. be prepared to fight to board.

DL agents (plural) are convinced that the visa waiver ended with the Olympics. I guess they haven't heard of the ParaOlympics. And they can't use TIMATIC properly either.
I just flew out of Atlanta to GIG on 8/26, no problems what so ever. I believe your experience was an isolated incident as I have a few other friends that have gone to/from Brazil seemlessly since the Olympics ended.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:35 pm

Had problems as I was taking a TAP flight from MAD-LIS-GRU. At first they didn't know about the visa waiver and I showed them the message from the Brazil consulate they had to double check and they required I had a returning flight from Brazil. When I showed up at GRU they asked if I had a visa I was like um NO? They just looked at the computer and stamped my passport and off I went!
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by ace587
Had problems as I was taking a TAP flight from MAD-LIS-GRU. At first they didn't know about the visa waiver and I showed them the message from the Brazil consulate they had to double check and they required I had a returning flight from Brazil. When I showed up at GRU they asked if I had a visa I was like um NO? They just looked at the computer and stamped my passport and off I went!
Not particularly surprising since most folks who qualified for a visa waiver probably flew from their home countries where airline staff may have been briefed, not from one that never needs a visa at all.
And surely some people entering Brazil during the waiver period had previously issued 10-year multi-entry visas previously issued in their passports. Perhaps instructions to border officials were to check those visas in.
Glad it was fairly painless for you though. Hope you had a good trip.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Not particularly surprising since most folks who qualified for a visa waiver probably flew from their home countries where airline staff may have been briefed, not from one that never needs a visa at all.
And surely some people entering Brazil during the waiver period had previously issued 10-year multi-entry visas previously issued in their passports. Perhaps instructions to border officials were to check those visas in.
Glad it was fairly painless for you though. Hope you had a good trip.
Thanks had a great time in Rio. Lots of tourists and lots of Policia Militar walking around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.