FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brazil (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil-678/)
-   -   RIO airport guide - english (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil/1722153-rio-airport-guide-english.html)

zackery149 Nov 5, 2015 7:00 am

RIO airport guide - english

I bumped across this and thought it could be useful to first time english-speaking visitors arriving at the international airport of Rio de Janeiro - now called RIOgalećo – Aeroporto Internacional Tom Jobim:

http://www.riogaleao.com/en/

qfrodo Nov 7, 2015 4:30 am

Thanks for the link. Used to go thru there on a monthly basis, they were still constructing the Starbucks the last time. Interesting to see the changes, might schedule a future trip thru there to check it out.

yourlittleshark Nov 10, 2015 5:38 am

Mehhhh, still pretty janky. I was at Terminal 2 last night (I split my time between NYC and Rio so I'm usually flying JFK-GIG every month or two).

The new giant parking structure is partially opened and is great! Bright, well marked, little pedestrian lanes. Could use some additional directional signage though. We were directed to the second level, which has a catwalk right to the second floor of the terminal.

American Airlines has self check in kiosks at their lanes alllllll the way at the far end, but then you still have to go to the counters to answer security questions and check bags, so any saved time is null.

The Starbucks is up and running which is indeed awesome. There are some additional new food places on the second floor near that Starbucks but the food is mediocre and the service is still crap. Still not much of anything to be found in the way of food/drink past security, at least down by Gate 39 where I was boarding.

I believe they do have wifi available, but I usually just use the ubiquitous networks provided by my cell or TV provider, so not sure the typical tourist experience.

Overall, I would say it's improving, but don't believe the hype -- still nowhere near there standards of a major international airport, especially one welcoming floods of Olympic travelers in 8 months' time.

MSPeconomist Dec 16, 2015 5:44 am

What's the lounge situation, especially near the DL gates? (Terminal 2 I think.) Is there an AmEx Centurion lounge? Anything for SkyTeam? A PP lounge that DL passengers can use?

too2early Dec 19, 2015 8:24 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 25872291)
What's the lounge situation, especially near the DL gates? (Terminal 2 I think.) Is there an AmEx Centurion lounge? Anything for SkyTeam? A PP lounge that DL passengers can use?

The terminal 2 lounges are under construction. The temporary lounges are at the far end of terminal 2. (Admirals club and GOL contract lounge). I don't know about AMEX.

SwissBritMiss Apr 27, 2016 9:51 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 25872291)

I was there on Sunday. As mentioned, the main T2 lounges opposite gate 40 are under construction. Travel buddy and I could only find two offerings; there may be more, but we were time-limited after a long security queue:

* opposite gate 35ish - Travel buddy's DL Plat was refused though I was OK as *G;
* opposite gates 42/3 - access OK for both of us - this is badly sign-posted and we walked past it twice as it looks like it's part of the building works! Offers a little more space and much the same food/drink offerings, but with the addition of quail eggs and a sad, broken grand piano in the corner

I have no idea who the providers were as neither were clearly marked (plus both of us were feeling pretty sick by the time we cleared security and were distracted.)

FYI, there is currently no priority security lane at this airport. Be prepared to queue for quite some time (over an hour for us).