Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

change pounds in Brazil or UK?

change pounds in Brazil or UK?

Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Esmjb
Banks are plentiful in rio so I honestly have never tried to take cash out of an ATM that wasn't in a bank so why risk it?

As for buenos Aires, you misunderstood me. I never said ATMs there were compromised. I'm guessing you aren't aware that the official government rate of the peso is currently around 9.7 to 1. But the "blue market" rate is over 15. Even if you only change $100 at the blue rate that's still an extra 600 pesos in your pocket. I assume your hotel will know where a safe place to change your money is but otherwise do some research. I have heard many stores will give you that rate if you pay in dollars too but have not done it myself.
2 rates? Now I'm really confused! And I checked BofA's website just in case we decided to pick up our monies before we left and the don't even sell the pesos!

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
The ATMs at GIG airport in Rio are compromised (consistently over the last few years). You would probably get a better rate at one of the "casa de cambio" cash exchange shops than at the hotel. Or find an ATM in a bank lobby, usually fine, but ATMs may have a limit, especially at night.
What bad exchange rate? The dollar is very strong against the real right now.
Even so, you might want a bit more than U$100 if you'll be there more than a day with another person. Are your entrance tickets to the Cristo and Sugarloaf paid? All your drinks and meals? Aren't you going to enjoy some samba music at a club in Lapa at night? Are you planning to use credit cards for all that?
We have prepaid our private tour... But we do need to have the BRLs for entrance fees. Plan on using CC for everything possible. Rarely buy souvenirs.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
Argentina has several rates. Here is a site to explain the differences. http://www.bubblear.com/your-guide-to-the-blue-dollar/ As you can see nobody exchanges at the white rate (less than 10 pesos to the USD) when the blue rate is about 15 pesos to the dollar.

(For ATM in Rio) From the Marriott, turn right as you exit the hotel and then turn right on R. Santa Clara. Go 2 blocks to Av Nossa Senhora de Copacabana. Cross Santa Clara and there is a Bradesco Bank on the corner. (A second ATM card is helpful if your card becomes cloned or you need some more cash). If you need an HSBC just continue on NS past the Bradesco and it's just after the mid-block signal. (There's an exchange place just past the HSBC but I have no idea what their rates are).
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by too2early
Argentina has several rates. Here is a site to explain the differences. http://www.bubblear.com/your-guide-to-the-blue-dollar/ As you can see nobody exchanges at the white rate (less than 10 pesos to the USD) when the blue rate is about 15 pesos to the dollar.

(For ATM in Rio) From the Marriott, turn right as you exit the hotel and then turn right on R. Santa Clara. Go 2 blocks to Av Nossa Senhora de Copacabana. Cross Santa Clara and there is a Bradesco Bank on the corner. (A second ATM card is helpful if your card becomes cloned or you need some more cash). If you need an HSBC just continue on NS past the Bradesco and it's just after the mid-block signal. (There's an exchange place just past the HSBC but I have no idea what their rates are).
Thanks!! All this info is very helpful!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.