Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Rio trip - 2 days (suggestions appreciated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rio trip - 2 days (suggestions appreciated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2015, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Can I hail a cab from the street and would that be okay?
See my first post, the part about taxis that belong to known cooperatives and how to recognize them.
Those coop taxi drivers, many if whom I have met personally through friends, far from being rogue thieves, are honest family men simply trying to make a good life for their families.

My main concern for not having guide was getting lost in an undesirable neighborhood on my way to Sugarloaf Mt/ Corcovado.
First of all, let's assume that you are staying in a hotel. Well, the hotel staff likely live in that "undesirable neighborhood" you are letting yourself get freaked out about for no reason. They are typical of the honest hard working folks who live in the favelas of Rio. (Tip them well, btw. They make your trip comfortable and aren't well paid, so live where they can afford.)

I think it is a mistake to start a trip to Rio influenced largely by old posts and third hand rumors about now vastly changed conditions on crime, posts that remain on the internet forever. However, Rio likely does not look like 'home' does and some tourists allow themselves to become discomfited by this, making judgements that may or may not be accurate, preferring the areas where the people and buildings most resemble what they are used to.

The layout of the Zona Sul is that the beach (Leme-Cpacabana-Arpoador-Ipanema-Leblon are essentially one long stretch with a curve at Arpoador) is bordered by a several block deep residential neighborhood with one Main Street along the beach and one main shopping street a couple of blocks in. Behind that are mountains; many poorer neighborhoods are on the mountainsides, with pretty clear entrances.
You will be going up Morro de Urca/Sugarloaf, the base of which is surrounded by the nice (looking) residential neighborhood of Urca. Rio Vermelho beach that you can see from the top has some places to eat/drink.
If you take the train up Corcovado, you will be leaving from the base station in a neighborhood that is safe. If you choose to take a van most of the way up (and switch to the official can for last part of the ride to the top), those vans leave from Copacabana.

Taxis are so cheap with the exchange rate of R$4=U$1 that a ride across town from Ipanema to the base of Corcovado, maybe about R$30 max, is too convenient for most tourists to even think about trying to figure out public buses on which they (unlikely) could get lost.

Be vigilant and careful, as you would in any major world city, but allow yourself to enjoy your trip,

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Oct 24, 2015 at 8:03 am
Old Oct 24, 2015, 1:39 pm

Just so you know, Uber does exist here so that is an option. I took an über from Leblon to GIG two weeks ago and it ran me 51 reais in minimal traffic. On the way back I did a regular yellow taxi and it was 71, albeit in heavy traffic, but the car was terrible and ac barely worked.

I say you hit the beach in Ipanema or Leblon first thing on Sunday if the weather holds up. do Jesus statue or sugarloaf but not both IMO. Avoid downtown, nothing to see there at all. As you are a solo traveler I recommend being on tndr, lots of people I know cleaning up on that. I recommend ct boucherie, ZaZa bistro and Gero for restaurants.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Esmjb
I recommend ct boucherie, ZaZa bistro and Gero for restaurants.
+1

Yummy!
Old Oct 25, 2015, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
So tonite dinner... ZaZa or Churrascaria Palace?? That's the only that remains to be figured out :-)
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:09 pm

So tonite dinner... ZaZa or Churrascaria Palace?? That's the only that remains to be figured out :-)
Churrascaria. All about the meat today. Enoy the Picanha.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
See my first post, the part about taxis that belong to known cooperatives and how to recognize them.
Those coop taxi drivers, many if whom I have met personally through friends, far from being rogue thieves, are honest family men simply trying to make a good life for their families.

First of all, let's assume that you are staying in a hotel. Well, the hotel staff likely live in that "undesirable neighborhood" you are letting yourself get freaked out about for no reason. They are typical of the honest hard working folks who live in the favelas of Rio. (Tip them well, btw. They make your trip comfortable and aren't well paid, so live where they can afford.)

I think it is a mistake to start a trip to Rio influenced largely by old posts and third hand rumors about now vastly changed conditions on crime, posts that remain on the internet forever. However, Rio likely does not look like 'home' does and some tourists allow themselves to become discomfited by this, making judgements that may or may not be accurate, preferring the areas where the people and buildings most resemble what they are used to.

The layout of the Zona Sul is that the beach (Leme-Cpacabana-Arpoador-Ipanema-Leblon are essentially one long stretch with a curve at Arpoador) is bordered by a several block deep residential neighborhood with one Main Street along the beach and one main shopping street a couple of blocks in. Behind that are mountains; many poorer neighborhoods are on the mountainsides, with pretty clear entrances.
You will be going up Morro de Urca/Sugarloaf, the base of which is surrounded by the nice (looking) residential neighborhood of Urca. Rio Vermelho beach that you can see from the top has some places to eat/drink.
If you take the train up Corcovado, you will be leaving from the base station in a neighborhood that is safe. If you choose to take a van most of the way up (and switch to the official can for last part of the ride to the top), those vans leave from Copacabana.

Taxis are so cheap with the exchange rate of R$4=U$1 that a ride across town from Ipanema to the base of Corcovado, maybe about R$30 max, is too convenient for most tourists to even think about trying to figure out public buses on which they (unlikely) could get lost.

Be vigilant and careful, as you would in any major world city, but allow yourself to enjoy your trip,

Having grown up in a third world country myself, i am little embarrassed to admit i let media and third hand reports freak me out. It was stupid.

Your post is quite true. Now, i won't underplay the possibility of a violent crime in Rio but that's true of any place. Now language barrier is a major issue and vast sprawl of Rio doesn't help if you get lost. But that's another story.

Off to Churrascaria Palace!

Tcheu.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: BA
What is the current exchange rate like from USD ? I have no idea of what is high and what is low. I'm thinking of going to Rio soon.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wiivile
What is the current exchange rate like from USD ? I have no idea of what is high and what is low. I'm thinking of going to Rio soon.
Roughly 4 BRL to 1 USD

I think its almost on 10yr low for BRL against the dollar.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Sorry if this is too late.

Since you are Marriott PLT, request for UG to a high floor with beach view. Excellent Executive lounge on 9th F. I recalled that’s where I checked in also.

No need for any tour guide. Easy to do Cristo Redentor & Pao de Acucar from the JW by metro and buses. Monday would serve you best (avoid weekend crowd). Go early morning, finish it by 13:00, then head to Pao de Acucar. Stay till after sunset.

These are notes from my last visit. May not be current.

Buy subway ticket “Metro + Integracao Expressa ticket” for R$4.50 (you can use it on metro and buses)
Subway Station: get off at Largo Do Machado Station {look for Exit Largo Do Machado}. After exiting the station, look left for sign “Integracao Metro – Cosme Velho” for a Bus 580, get off at train (cog-wheel) terminal for the Monument Cristo Redentor.

Getting there: Urca – Praia Vermelha
To Metro Botafogo Station (look for sign “Veluntarios Da Patria”, Exit “Rua Mena Barreto”. Once outside the station, go to take Bus 513.

From recollection only: I think Bus 513 goes to Urca – Praia Vermelha from/to Copacabana. (I didn’t use this).

Here are some images from Rio:

https://stefanofoto.smugmug.com/Amer...io-de-Janeiro/
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:18 pm

I decided to stay away from hotels in Rio since none of them let any of my friends in my room for security reasons. Their loss. I did Airbnb instead.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile
I decided to stay away from hotels in Rio since none of them let any of my friends in my room for security reasons. Their loss. I did Airbnb instead.
Yes, in Brazilian culture, "friends" go to motels (with an "M").
Of course no legitimate hotel wants to take the chance of being involved with the sex tourism trade, hosting professional 'visitors' or semi-pros, and potentially putting all guests at risk.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Yes, in Brazilian culture, "friends" go to motels (with an "M").
Of course no legitimate hotel wants to take the chance of being involved with the sex tourism trade, hosting professional 'visitors' or semi-pros, and potentially putting all guests at risk.
mds sao meus amigos de verdade
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Very interesting thread, as I am just about to embark on a similar trip (arrive tuesday morning, leave wednesday evening) to Rio. Main question remaining for me: Is uber reliable there? I really like the ease of payment with uber so I do not have to carry too much cash around with me and would prefer to do any trips inside the city using uber...is this feasible? Itinerary would be pretty similar, would go to the Christ statue and Sugarloaf mountain and Copacabana as musts, then see what to do if time permits...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djohannw
Very interesting thread, as I am just about to embark on a similar trip (arrive tuesday morning, leave wednesday evening) to Rio. Main question remaining for me: Is uber reliable there? I really like the ease of payment with uber so I do not have to carry too much cash around with me and would prefer to do any trips inside the city using uber...is this feasible? Itinerary would be pretty similar, would go to the Christ statue and Sugarloaf mountain and Copacabana as musts, then see what to do if time permits...

Greetings - Dirk
Uber equivalent is 99 taxi. Very reliable.

Christ Redeemer and Sugarloaf are doable in same day very easily.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by djohannw

Greetings - Dirk
Uber very reliable. Only thing is, you'll need mobile data to hail Uber when not connected to wifi...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.