Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Solo Traveler - Rio for Weekend

Old Aug 30, 15, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, WN CP, Elevate Silver, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, National Exec

I will be traveling solo to Brazil (Rio) for the first time this coming weekend (3 days total).

Taxi - I will be arriving fairly early on Friday (Around 9am). I was planning on taking a taxi to Copacabana. I understand that there are different taxis (Regular & Executive). Which would you recommend and what are the differences between the two?

Hotel - I have narrowed my hotel accommodations to Windsor Miramar, Windsor Atlantica, or Sofitel. I know that Miramar and Atlantica has great reviews but like the fact that Sofitel has balconies and its a larger property. Which would you recommend?

Tours - As I will be traveling alone, I am not sure if I should just see the sights alone or if I should take a tour. As its just me, wondering if anyone has suggestions regarding tours.

If anyone has any suggestions/recommendations on what to do/see, please share. I am looking forward to my short trip.

Last edited by SFO_Flyer; Aug 31, 15 at 10:04 am
Old Aug 31, 15, 2:54 pm

"what are the differences between the two?"

About 30% in fare cost. Nothing more. Regular yellow taxis (with the name and phone of the cooperative painted on the rear fender) are fine.

You can do most sights by taxi, easy and cheap. No tour/guide needed.

Pick a clear day to go up to the heights (Corcovado and/or Sugarloaf). Go early.
Info on Rio (things to do): www.ipanema.com
Old Sep 1, 15, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SFO_Flyer View Post
Hotel - I have narrowed my hotel accommodations to Windsor Miramar, Windsor Atlantica, or Sofitel. I know that Miramar and Atlantica has great reviews but like the fact that Sofitel has balconies and its a larger property. Which would you recommend?

Tours - As I will be traveling alone, I am not sure if I should just see the sights alone or if I should take a tour. As its just me, wondering if anyone has suggestions regarding tours.
Never stayed at any of these, but all thinggs being equal, the Sofitel is the best option, as it sights on Copa beach, but only 3 blocks from Ipanema beach. It is a more upscale property than the others. Windsor Atlantica is a good hotel, but the location isn't so good for walking around as it's in the remnants of what was once the red-light district of Copa. Windsor Miramar seems fine, but it's a smaller hotel.

Definitely skip any tour groups, and just take a cab to where you need. Corcovado can be reached by van, from Largo do Machado subway station, or Lido square, in Copa (not far from the Windsor Atlantica). Sugarloaf is only a short cab ride away, and there'll be plenty of cabs waiting.

Bear in mind that Monday is a national holiday in Brazil, so tourist attractions will be crowded with local tourists, and many shops and restaurants will be closed on Monday.
Old Sep 2, 15, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RafKa View Post
Bear in mind that Monday is a national holiday in Brazil, so tourist attractions will be crowded with local tourists, and many shops and restaurants will be closed on Monday.
Won't the tourist attractions be crowded the whole weekend then?
I am looking forward to my own trip. And it's getting better everyday with the current exchange rate of about 3.7:1.
Old Sep 2, 15, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Dieuwer View Post
Won't the tourist attractions be crowded the whole weekend then?
Yes, that's what I meant.

I am looking forward to my own trip. And it's getting better everyday with the current exchange rate of about 3.7:1.
Thanks for reminding me that I am twice as poor today than I was 2 years ago...
Old Sep 2, 15, 11:20 am

Corcovado can be reached by van, from Largo do Machado subway station, or Lido square, in Copa (not far from the Windsor Atlantica). Sugarloaf is only a short cab ride away, and there'll be plenty of cabs waiting.
There are two ways to get up Corcovado to see the Christ statue.
One is a van from the two start points mentioned above. It goes to a small parking lot near the top of the mountain. Then you get the official van the rest of the way.
The second way is to get a taxi to Cosme Velho. From there, take the cog train to the top. A samba band boards to play and the views as you go up are interesting.
At any rate, get there when the statue opens or slightly before (to avoid lines and crowds), and make sure it's a clear day. You can buy tickets for the train ahead of time to avoid lines, but you wouldn't know the weather.

Best to walk slightly away from the base station at both the Corcovado train and the Sugarloaf tram to get a regular yellow taxi to your next destination. The drivers waiting right at the base sometimes (aggressively) want to give you a tour, not a simple taxi ride.
Old Sep 2, 15, 11:23 am

Thanks for reminding me that I am twice as poor today than I was 2 years ago...
Only if you do your shopping in Miami. :-)
Inflation in Brazil isn't quite that high.....yet.
Old Sep 2, 15, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, WN CP, Elevate Silver, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, National Exec
Never stayed at any of these, but all thinggs being equal, the Sofitel is the best option, as it sights on Copa beach, but only 3 blocks from Ipanema beach. It is a more upscale property than the others. Windsor Atlantica is a good hotel, but the location isn't so good for walking around as it's in the remnants of what was once the red-light district of Copa. Windsor Miramar seems fine, but it's a smaller hotel.

Definitely skip any tour groups, and just take a cab to where you need. Corcovado can be reached by van, from Largo do Machado subway station, or Lido square, in Copa (not far from the Windsor Atlantica). Sugarloaf is only a short cab ride away, and there'll be plenty of cabs waiting.

Thanks, I decided to stay at the Sofitel. It is going to be a very short trip but am excited to leave tomorrow for Rio.
Old Sep 2, 15, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, I decided to stay at the Sofitel. It is going to be a very short trip but am excited to leave tomorrow for Rio.
Are you millionaire?
Old Sep 2, 15, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Are you millionaire?
Lol!! Helps that I was able to get in on the very discounted AA fares
Old Sep 2, 15, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got in on the discounted DL fares
Old Sep 5, 15, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just arrived in Rio. I hope the weather will not stay as gloomy as it is now...
Old Sep 9, 15, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
How is it? I'm spending three nights at the Sofitel with family over Columbus Day. Our AA flights were $591 per person.
Old Sep 9, 15, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm at the Windsor Miramar right now and very happy with my choice. Good location, great service.
Old Sep 15, 15, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXEC PLAT 1.75MM, UA LT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, SPG LT Gold , Marriott LT Gold
Is this the premium fare through AA BR website?

Search this Thread